House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

General Melchett

Major Richard Winters, Rip

Made famous by the TV show 'Band of Brothers.'

The world is a lesser place without him.

Died 2 January. News only just come out, as his family wanted a quiet funeral.

Undoubtedly a brave and courageous man.

I’d imagine a lot of thinking people wonder what they would have done had they lived at that time and their call up papers had arrived.. WW2 seems to have a more moral air about it but what if you’d been called up to fight in WW1 in the trenches, ordered to kill an enemy that had also been ordered to kill you, despite never even knowing you etc..

Would we celebrate those that refused to fight?

Undoubtedly a brave and courageous man.

I’d imagine a lot of thinking people wonder what they would have done had they lived at that time and their call up papers had arrived.. WW2 seems to have a more moral air about it but what if you’d been called up to fight in WW1 in the trenches, ordered to kill an enemy that had also been ordered to kill you, despite never even knowing you etc..

Would we celebrate those that refused to fight?

You're looking at WW1 through the eyes of later revisionists. At the time, most thought it was a just war against German militarism. Only a few people at the time (like Siegfried Sassoon) actually questioned the war, and his objections were more about how it was being fought than whether it should have been fought in the first place. The idea of WW1 being a senseless slaughter etc etc didn't come about until some time after it ended.

You're looking at WW1 through the eyes of later revisionists. At the time, most thought it was a just war against German militarism. Only a few people at the time (like Siegfried Sassoon) actually questioned the war, and his objections were more about how it was being fought than whether it should have been fought in the first place. The idea of WW1 being a senseless slaughter etc etc didn't come about until some time after it ended.

That's because it was going to be over after next big battle which would lead to a decisive victory.

Made famous by the TV show 'Band of Brothers.'

The world is a lesser place without him.

Died 2 January. News only just come out, as his family wanted a quiet funeral.

In his interviews, he seemed such a decent fellow, and many seemed to have a good word for him.

I don't suppose anyone knows how much his house was worth, or wasn't that mentioned in the press release?

I wonder how much our culture has changed and whether if there was a mass call up the majority would refuse ( I can only imagine such a move would be possible after months or years of the media stirring things up against the perceived enemy..)

Think of the slaughter that could have been avoided had German and British men decided on mass not to fight the wars of their leaders.

That man was a legend. I'd highly recommend the book band of brothers by Stephen E Ambrose on which the film is based much more personal accounts of what happened. Also Pegasus bridge is another excellent read by the same author featuring Major John Howard another legend. In fact all Ambrose's books on WWII are worth reading.

Just booked my holiday this year back to Normandy again. :)

I'd highly recommend the book band of brothers by Stephen E Ambrose...

I'll give it a miss, he's always on "Have I Got News For You", he's crap.