House Price Crash Forum

Intergenerational Mortgages Here We Come

drrayjo

HOLA441

"Hitachi Capital is to offer loans of up to £50,000 to the parents of first-time home buyers in an innovative attempt to boost Britain's flagging housing market, The Daily Telegraph can reveal.

The financial services group has teamed up with Britain's biggest housebuilder, Barratt, to offer financial support to parents trying to help their children get on the housing ladder.

Its £1bn fund will offer 12-year unsecured loans for parents to use as part of the deposit for their child's new home."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/constructionandproperty/8253567/Hitachi-to-offer-50000-loans-to-parents-of-home-buyers.html

HOLA442

"Hitachi Capital is to offer loans of up to £50,000 to the parents of first-time home buyers in an innovative attempt to boost Britain's flagging housing market, The Daily Telegraph can reveal.

The financial services group has teamed up with Britain's biggest housebuilder, Barratt, to offer financial support to parents trying to help their children get on the housing ladder.

Its £1bn fund will offer 12-year unsecured loans for parents to use as part of the deposit for their child's new home."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/constructionandproperty/8253567/Hitachi-to-offer-50000-loans-to-parents-of-home-buyers.html

Bank of Mum and Dad still has money to burn. This could slow down a crash good and proper.

HOLA443

Christ on a bike - it's like watching my kids trying to build a perpetual motion machine... it's not going to work, just let the sucker crash ffs.

HOLA444

wonder if i can pull a fast one and get them to use me dads council owned bungalow as security for the deposit

HOLA445

So do they have to buy a Barrett home?

HOLA446
HOLA447

Christ on a bike - it's like watching my kids trying to build a perpetual motion machine... it's not going to work, just let the sucker crash ffs.

haha, they will struggle and **** about but one day they will build another Oxford Bell. Maybe it won't run for ever but it might have a few lifetimes in it. ;)

They will find a way. And they will find a way to make it very profitable. And they will get big bonuses. Because Cameron says they can.

HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411

just as a off topic to add to that, the amount of people who i heard ask each other 'are you putting anything aside for university' for their kids when the 9k fees went through.

the suckers really have been suctioned into the debt bog.

i'd be advising my kids to steer well clear of uni, if i had any.

HOLA4412

In most parts of the country 10 years ago, £50,000 would of bought you a very nice starter home out right.

Now £50k is considered a deposit, or the cost of a new kitchen.

We've really allowed ourselves to lose sight of both reality, and the value of money.

HOLA4413
HOLA4414

just as a off topic to add to that, the amount of people who i heard ask each other 'are you putting anything aside for university' for their kids when the 9k fees went through.

the suckers really have been suctioned into the debt bog.

i'd be advising my kids to steer well clear of uni, if i had any.

Exactly right. Only by then it won't be £9k ayear, it will be £15k or £20k a year.

How much longer primary and secondary education remains 'free' is anyone's guess.

HOLA4415

Sheer desperation. They tried to push Japanese style generational mortgages in 2005, didn't work then, won't work now ;).

Might be good news. Back in the late 80's one of my lodgers who worked for the then; Anglia Building Society, said they were considering generational mortgages. Guess what happened next?

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418

Looks like there's some dishonesty here. It's supposed to be a 12 year unsecured loan, but it's only available to parents who are homeowners with a good credit history - at 5.4%.

Since banks seem to be able to go to court these days and get so-called "unsecured" loans turned into secured loans with no difficulty at all, it's effectively a secured loan - against the parents' home. Most creditworthy homeowners old enough to have kids looking to buy property on this basis will probably have £50k of equity in any case. So why not take out the cheapest mortgage available with no early repayment charges and do it that way? Probably get a better deal than 5.4%. HSBC have been offering deals around 1.89% over base with a £99 arrangement fee and no charges for early repayment. With the way things are that looks like a better bet, if you really really want to get into property.

HOLA4419
innovative

:lol: I really can't believe what I said was going to happen would transpire quite so fast.

Dave, Osborne, Boris, Nat and their mates really aren't going to let this one go are they.

My prediction for 2011:-

Schapps will unveil an 'innovative' (he likes that word) mechanism for first time buyers, which the Tories have agreed with the taxpayer funded banksters, involving a short-term subsidy to fund an FTB deposit (and long-term debt instrument, obviously) which the banksters can dress up into some rehashed form of securitisation and sell to the pension funds.

Come and get me Bob - No remorse, let's put that behind us. :lol:

Edited by Red Karma

HOLA4420
My prediction for 2011:-

Schapps will unveil an 'innovative' (he likes that word) ....

and the torygraph have added their weight to the idea that this is "innovation". Forget the fact that the parents could simply remortgage to obtain the same £50K (they have t be creditworthy + have equity for this "unsecured" heap of debt).

See, I don't even read NewScientist, but even I know that we are capable of producing materials in the form of carbon nanotubes that are 50-100 times stronger than steel and 1/6th its weight. Can you imagine what the world would look like if that were common-place? (can you imagine the price of steel! :lol: ).

Call me stupid, but that's my definition of innovation. This piece of regurgitated debt sh1t is more like putting turn-ups on a pair of seventies flairs: embarrassing and pointless. In fact, that about sums up this country.

Edited by Sledgehead

HOLA4421
HOLA4422

A few observations on this.

Firstly, which savings are being used to back the fund? Are they domestic of foreign?

Secondly, this still amounts to a haircut for the parents, since it is they who have to pay the interest on the 50K.

Thirdly, what was it I have been saying about a peak debt equilibrium again?

Fourthly, and this is related to bank bonuses too, all this does is depress the interest rate at which mortgage borrowers can ultimately borrow. It is all an outcome of a flattennig actual yield curve (forget about the nonsense curve based on bond yields), and this is going to put a crimp on bank profits before very long.