House Price Crash Forum
cashinmattress

Speed Camera Unit Staff Given Redundancy Notices

Link

STAFF at the speed camera unit in Cumbria have been handed redundancy notices.

The 26-strong workforce at Cumbria Safety Camera Partnership have all been told their jobs are officially under threat.

The unit, based at police HQ in Penrith, maintains the county’s six fixed Gatsos and four mobile speed cameras.

Doubts first emerged over the future of the partnership last year when the government cut the national road safety budget by £38m.

Cumbria lost £255,000, of which £213,000 was for speed cameras.

But bosses at the unit say they are confident speed cameras in the county will remain at their present level.

Cameras in other parts of the UK have been mothballed because of budget cuts.

Kevin Tea, manager of the partnership, said: “The redundancy process has been undertaken purely as a legal process, while the council, police and other agencies decide who will pay for what. I am very confident the unit will continue, though there may be some job losses in some way.

“I am confident the present level of speed cameras in Cumbria will be maintained when the process is complete.

“Since the government came to power, it has cut off funds for cameras.

“That has meant we have been forced to look for alternative ways of funding, and negotiations are ongoing to see how that can be achieved.”

Traffic management officer Roger Mallett is responsible for police road safety issues in south Cumbria.

Speaking from the Roads Policing Unit based at Ulverston police station, Mr Mallett believes getting rid of speed cameras would be “a backwards step”.

Mr Mallett said: “Speed cameras significantly help to improve road safety and I would like to see them retained. They have helped, inpartnership with other methods, to reduce the number of collisions on our roads over the last 10 years and it would be a backwards step if they were scrapped.”

Cumbria has four mobile speed cameras, which can be deployed at 250 sites. There are six sets of static cameras: on the A595 at Howgate; the A69 at Low Row; the A685 at Kirkby Stephen; Salthouse Road in Barrow; the A590 at Millside; and the A591 at Ings.

Another pair at Corby Hill, between Carlisle and Brampton, will be in place by December.

26 people for 10 cameras? Hehe. Pure Blighty comedy.

What's amazing is they say they are confident they can keep the number of speed cameras the same even after the redundancies. If that's the case, what were they doing all these years?

They are even in denial re. being handed their redundancy notices saying it's just a 'legal process'. A similar vane to the house sellers eagerly awaiting the spring bounce that ain't going to happen!!!!

For me, this has been a quandry.

We hear that the cameras make £millions. But they still need funding from central government to maintain them! You'd think this would be a nice cashflow positive passive income earner for government, but it is not. Where does the money go ? Parasites!

Edited by Money Spinner

I know the old Gatso cameras needed camera films being manually changed, but the new SPECs cameras are all digital I believe, and pictures can be sent without people physically visiting each camera. This is the future surely.

Link

Kevin Tea, manager of the partnership

Kevin, is the manager of tea breaks. I'll have two sugars.

Link

Ha I am not one to take pleasure in these things but the Cumbria scheme took the proverbial.

The whole speed camera issue is a revenue raiser. They state 'Speed Kills' and undoubtedly it does but when I asked them for a breakdown of the number of deaths in Cumbria which were directly attributed to speeding they apparently 'did not have the figures'. Is this because the figures would reveal the majority of deaths were caused by driver error, lorry drivers falling asleep etc?

Human beings are not at work during much of the average week. Right off they work 8 hour days, 5 days a week. So that is only 40/168th(or 1/4) of the hours in a week.

Then there is vacations, basically assume 1 day in 10 the person is not there. Sick days, there is another 2 weeks a year. Some of these 26 staff will also be women on materinty leave. A couple more may be on long term disability.

On top of all that a big time corporate leader said that the average worker, 'works' 3 hours during the average 8 hour work day.

Edited by aa3

For me, this has been a quandry.

We hear that the cameras make £millions. But they still need funding from central government to maintain them! You'd think this would be a nice cashflow positive passive income earner for government, but it is not. Where does the money go ? Parasites!

It looks like these 'money makers', are not actually money makers. Once you count the salaries and full benefits of 26 well paid staff, the rent of their offices, IT systems, accounting, administration, legal work, safety work, vehicles they have, cost of cameras, cost of software systems, audits, bonuses, many different insurance packages, etc..

pothole_fill.jpg

img_0423.jpg?w=500&h=375

^We've found an Oasis, in some really grim part of the UK! Bet the house prices are ridiculous and twig infested.

Hard-at-Work-600x467.jpg

Edited by Money Spinner

It always amazes me how inefficient the public sector is. So full of VIs its unbelievable. Bring in some private sector efficiency - you could probably run the whole department with 4 people.

Or you could just close the stupid department down and save a load of money as cameras are never installed in the right places anyway

STAFF at the speed camera unit in Cumbria have been handed redundancy notices.

The 26-strong workforce at Cumbria Safety Camera Partnership have all been told their jobs are officially under threat.

so...which is it?

Or you could just close the stupid department down and save a load of money as cameras are never installed in the right places anyway

"Hell hath no fury as a lawyer with too much time on his hands getting a ticket."

At least one of the mobile cameras around my way may be operating illegally. No recent survey to comply with the APCO regulations that require at least 3 speed related deaths or serious injuries in the previous 3 years in order for a Scamera to be deployed. Now that "regulations" are enforecable by ordinary citizens it is possible that such illegal cameras will have to refund hundreds of thousands of £££ to motorists who were ticketed.

:lol:

Edited by Realistbear

I can't stand these 'Safety Camera Partnerships'. Clearly less about safety and more about revenue raising. In my neck of the woods in the pitch dark on the way to work on Monday they were parked beside some bushes trying to catch unsuspecting drivers, I customarily flashed my lights to warn. Glad to report that seeing quite a few fixed cameras covered in orange covers recently :)

This could lead to more houses coming onto the market under the births, deaths and marriages scenario

People will be free to speed and the resulting accidents will cause deaths.

You might think that.. but establishing a link between speed cameras and road safety has been nigh-on impossible without some dodgey stastitical trickery. Believe me, they have the numbers and the they could say 'cameras reduce deaths and accidents by 25 +-5% with 95% confidence', they would.

Instead we get constant blandishments that 'cameras improve road safety' with no actual numbers. The very fact that the widespread introduction of speed cameras coincided with a levelling off in road deaths, after a previous long term decline, does not bode well.

This could lead to more houses coming onto the market under the births, deaths and marriages scenario

People will be free to speed and the resulting accidents will cause deaths.

Yup if you are a cyclist, stay off Cumbria roads, because drivers really are insane!

Hard-at-Work-600x467.jpg

Yes....Perth council.

Knew a bloke who did some temp work with them for a couple weeks , what he and another bloke had to do was drive around and looks in the drains at the side of the road to see if they were full of leaves and then mark whether they needed cleaning.They didn't even do the cleaning :lol:

Councils = masters of double handing.

Looks like these guys might be the actual drain cleaners but why you need 5 or 6 blokes to clean one piddly drain i don't know.

Edited by Ruffneck

Talking, texting holding a mobile phone whilst driving, causes more collisions and accidents imo. ;)

Yes, but that takes effort to detect. The main reason that speed cameras were brought in was because they were technically possible, not because there was any evidence that doing 61 mph on an empty 3 lane motorway (50mph section) in good driving conditions was particularly dangerous.

Oh, and they don't work well in poor visibility, or on bendy sections of road, or against the untaxed/registered drivers..

And if you think I'm just ranting, then feel free to explain why the insurance companies are not bothered by speed camera 3-point tickets. They are not charities; their risk models can't be showing much correlation between getting camera'd and being a dangerous driver.

Number one killer is road signs I believe.

Number two - lorries.

(assertion would need confirming - may just be an urban myth)

Actually, the primary cause of accidents is inattention.

Speed is always a factor, since it's hard to have a collision without objects being in motion.

The reason for 26 staff is to deal with people like me who contest every NIP they get in the post, requesting evidence etc. I've gone to court twice and won on both occasions.

Edited by exiges