House Price Crash Forum

I've been looking at houses to buy now for 3 years off and on.

It's the same old over-priced rubbish that's out there. I have seen nothing in 3 years I would even consider buying in my price range.

It's ground me down and recently i've realised i've mostly given up searching on right-move.

Has the housing market finally ground us all down and we're giving up ?

Will buyers fatigue spark the much needed collapse ?

Yes, me too.

I have given up now more or less and am concentrating on my business and enjoying life. By concentrating on my business I will open up options in other countries and, who knows, in a few years I might be considering myself glad I never bought here in the UK.

I gave up looking with the upturn in 2009.

It was obvious that this was being driven by supply and demand and would burn itself out. The downward trend has re-commenced,and in a few months it will be time to start looking again.

I feel the same. Fed up looking at overpriced rubbish. It seems like a lot of effort nearly 3 years of watching and waiting for not much even when it becomes affordable. Have recently started to wonder if i should look into self-build (Scotland). But, planning regulations seem to be weighted against individual developers and in favour of big companies. Nothing new there either.

I visit 200-300K value houses all the time ( thats normal families with teenage and above kids) and some of them seem so small and utter squalour. no gardens, parking a joke, cramped..small rooms..and newer ones...no storage space. Many houses seem to be designed to NOT accomodate a family.

I feel positively spoiled by my fabulous rental.

shame come time to change, one has to deal with the Ahole EAs again.

Yes, me too.

I have given up now more or less and am concentrating on my business and enjoying life. By concentrating on my business I will open up options in other countries and, who knows, in a few years I might be considering myself glad I never bought here in the UK.

I hope to buy some day but I wouldn't even look while we are still near the top of a bubble. The bubble needs to deflate properly. Then I might start looking around at prices.

I visit 200-300K value houses all the time ( thats normal families with teenage and above kids) and some of them seem so small and utter squalour. no gardens, parking a joke, cramped..small rooms..and newer ones...no storage space. Many houses seem to be designed to NOT accomodate a family.

I feel positively spoiled by my fabulous rental.

shame come time to change, one has to deal with the Ahole EAs again.

Some places you couldn't get a studio flat...others you could get a spacious four bed with large garden....horses for courses I suppose......some idyllic areas can buy you so much more than some cramped hovels in polluted, congested, high density and above average crime city areas.... ;)

Buyer's fatigue is not as bad as buyer's remorse ...

Yes, I had that once too! :(

Yes, I had that once too! :(

sometimes missing the boat is a good thing....think HMS Hood. those AWOL got a prison sentence...

I've been looking at houses to buy now for 3 years off and on.

It's the same old over-priced rubbish that's out there. I have seen nothing in 3 years I would even consider buying in my price range.

It's ground me down and recently i've realised i've mostly given up searching on right-move.

Has the housing market finally ground us all down and we're giving up ?

Will buyers fatigue spark the much needed collapse ?

I am out and about looking and viewing tomorrow at 3:30. Decent 3br detached overlooking nice Sussex Downs countryside. Been on since September with an asking at £244k. Probably £325k at peak. What should I offer?

are you guys still looking? what for?

when we dropped the idea that was that. No point looking if I expect prices to fall so wont be paying what is asked.

I resigned myself to renting for 4 or 5 years and have moved on. Not viewed a house in 2.5 years and only look at rightmove every 3 or 4 weeks.

Even wifey doesnt check rm very often now. Stop wasting your time.

I am out and about looking and viewing tomorrow at 3:30. Decent 3br detached overlooking nice Sussex Downs countryside. Been on since September with an asking at £244k. Probably £325k at peak. What should I offer?

offer to come back in 2 years and buy it when it has bottomed :lol:

I have also given up for now - what we have seen over the last year or so have been rubbish - even places that need renovation are still selling for crazy money and that includes those sold at auction.

Sure, property prices in bad areas are plummeting but if you want to live in a nice area, you will find that prices have come down by only 5 to 10% from the peak.

I expect prices WILL drop but with the BOE intent on penalising savers and bailing out borrowers, I think interest rates will not rise anytime soon.

Also, David Cameron said last week that the "UK economy depended on the housing market", so if he mimics Gordon Brown's "miracle economy" and tries to re-inflate

the housing bubble, I don't see prices dropping quite so quickly.

People who don't need to sell will sit tight, but those who need to downsize or have lost their jobs will have to reduce their prices.

When the flood-gates do eventually open - perhaps by a reluctant interest rate rise brought on by a weakening £ and high inflation, the buy to letters will rush for the exits to sell and a housing crash will gain momentum.

I expect prices to drop by 40% on average across the UK over the next 3 years.

There's nothing I've seen in 3yrs that I'd consider at even 20% off, that's the problem I'm facing. It's just dross out there.

Also, David Cameron said last week that the "UK economy depended on the housing market"

Did he? Link?

We view maybe once every 3 months or so, something to do on a Sunday. Some decent places but for the money it's appalling. In general quality is very poor and conditions are very cramped.

I too am looking for something between 200 and 300, but won't be paying a penny over 250k. My experience is similar, lots of stuff out there, but none that I consider worth buying. I think in 3 years of looking at hundreds of properties (over the i/net , not in person), I truly can think of no more than 5 properties that fitted my bill. ie good sized rooms, decent size garden, at least 3 bedrooms. Now it's all very easy to say just wait, but my big concern is inflation. I don't want to end up with my nest egg eroded away so that it's purchasing power is even less. Me and Mr's Dalglish have decided to buy as soon as we see something we like. If properties drop 40%, so be it, I'm after a home not an investment.

Edited by kenny dalglish

I too am looking for something between 200 and 300, but won't be paying a penny over 250k. My experience is similar, lots of stuff out there, but none that I consider worth buying. I think in 3 years of looking at hundreds of properties (over the i/net , not in person), I truly can think of no more than 5 properties that fitted my bill. ie good sized rooms, decent size garden, at least 3 bedrooms. Now it's all very easy to say just wait, but my big concern is inflation. I don't want to end up with my nest egg eroded away so that it's purchasing power is even less. Me and Mr's Dalglish have decided to buy as soon as we see something we like. If properties drop 40%, so be it, I'm after a home not an investment.

Once non-discretionary purchases hit home, once the credit card, council tax and heating bills drop on the door mat, add to that the VAT hike, people will see that the real cost of living is increasing and real wages are not (except to the small minority) the true prices of property will come into their own....how can a few bricks be worth £280k but people can't afford £70 to fill up a car with a tank of petrol...madness....so to conclude.

A £280k will be selling for £250k....right buyer meets right seller... ;)

you shouldn't have married her mr pin! ;)

Serious comment (for once ;) ) Mr LJAR! I bought a small house in 1988 before the last bubble popped!

I'll try to learn from my mistake! :huh:

are you guys still looking? what for?

when we dropped the idea that was that. No point looking if I expect prices to fall so wont be paying what is asked.

I resigned myself to renting for 4 or 5 years and have moved on. Not viewed a house in 2.5 years and only look at rightmove every 3 or 4 weeks.

Even wifey doesnt check rm very often now. Stop wasting your time.

+ 1

Exactly! Even if you do get a 10% discount it's going to be cold comfort if you lose your job.

People really need to imagine themselves in the situation .e.g. You are currently sitting on 50K in the bank. It's returning you a grand or so and offsets your rent a little. You go mad and buy a house now. The property declines or remains static for 5 years. You've made yourself immobile, it will cost you to move and you watch as prices crumble around you. You still have to maintain your house. It's madness to buy right here. If this thing really does decline fast there will be little resistance (mortgage lending) to stop it.

+ 1

Exactly! Even if you do get a 10% discount it's going to be cold comfort if you lose your job.

People really need to imagine themselves in the situation .e.g. You are currently sitting on 50K in the bank. It's returning you a grand or so and offsets your rent a little. You go mad and buy a house now. The property declines or remains static for 5 years. You've made yourself immobile, it will cost you to move and you watch as prices crumble around you. You still have to maintain your house. It's madness to buy right here. If this thing really does decline fast there will be little resistance (mortgage lending) to stop it.

Yup, plus winkie's points (add in the tax bills to that).

Buy to lose, don't be a sucker trying to grab the bottom of that ladder that the government have been keeping waving in the air. The downside of all their meddling and outright monetary fraud is going to cause the people to choke on the very inflation them seem to want (well they wan the housing part not the rest), well it is time for the rest to knee the in the soft parts.

After observing the Californian crash I'm surprised you'd even bother looking at the moment.

Doesn't Whitehawk overlook the Downs? Don't do it! :lol:

If someone was greedy enough to try for £325k it sounds like they're in for a shock. Speculation and forced selling are a very different game. :)