House Price Crash Forum

Rotherham Council To Charge For Wheelie Bins

HOLA441

http://www.thestar.co.uk/headlines/Should-you-have-to-pay.6685869.jp

CHARGES are coming into effect for the replacement of wheelie bins in Rotherham to save the borough council hundreds of thousands of pounds a year.

In 2009, the authority had to replace 25,000 bins at a cost of £200,000 - which ruling Labour councillors say is too much.

From Monday January 17, developers and management companies of newly-built properties and developments within the Rotherham

ADVERTISEMENT

borough will be charged for the first set of waste containers that are supplied.

For an overall fee of £57 including delivery, new properties will each receive a 240 litre black bin, a 240 litre green bin, a blue box and a blue bag.

Existing households will not have to pay for replacement recycling bins, but replacement black bins will cost £22. A charge of £8 will be made for delivery, although bins ca n be collected free from Hellaby depot, by arrangement, between 9am and 2pm Monday to Friday.

All Rothercard holders will get a 50 per cent discount and there will also be exemptions on some replacement black bins.

There will be no charge for replacement bins that have been set alight, stolen bins if a police incident number is provided, the larger wheeled bins for families of five or more, or black and green bins damaged by refuse crews during collection.

The police won't be happy this is going to play hell with their clear up rates, I doubt many thefts of wheelie bins get solved.

This is good news for council tax payers, you pay once with the council tax and then you get to pay again for services.

A policy to be slowly expanded as debt servicing costs take up more of local and national budgets?

HOLA442

http://www.thestar.c...-pay.6685869.jp

The police won't be happy this is going to play hell with their clear up rates, I doubt many thefts of wheelie bins get solved.

This is good news for council tax payers, you pay once with the council tax and then you get to pay again for services.

A policy to be slowly expanded as debt servicing costs take up more of local and national budgets?

Council tax mainly goes to pensions (past and current workers) :P

HOLA443

Anyone know the definition of "Extortion" ?

Could forcing someone to have a wheelie bin then making them pay for it be classed as this ?

The councils have lost touch with reality. They just want money in to pay their ever increasing salaries and pensions...but we aint got home left. :blink:

HOLA444

I have a real hatred for wheely bins, stuck out in front of terraced houses looks crap. Too thin to get a bin bag in without squeezing it which then creates a vacuum when trying to get it out and too deep to reach any rubbish left at the bottom.

They were designed so the bin men take you bin straight to the lorry but they just empty your rubbish into their own wheely bin so whats the point. They are so shit. Well made though.

HOLA445

I have a real hatred for wheely bins, stuck out in front of terraced houses looks crap. Too thin to get a bin bag in without squeezing it which then creates a vacuum when trying to get it out and too deep to reach any rubbish left at the bottom.

They were designed so the bin men take you bin straight to the lorry but they just empty your rubbish into their own wheely bin so whats the point. They are so shit. Well made though.

They're especially annoying when the ****s in the council try to dump four on you with some ludicrous collection schedule apparently derived by astrology. Fortunately only one of them is of any regular use (I've paid no attention whatsoever at their efforts to get me to drag out the largest of the lot for an apple core and a slice of mouldy bread), so I usually don't need an experience akin to railway shunting in the dark and wet in order to drag the relevent bin out.

HOLA446

Oldham has charged new builds for the for years.

I know someone who rented - the LL wouldn't buy one so he paid for it and took it with him when he left.

You get one free if someone steals your bins. We had some yobs set fire to a load a couple of years back so had to get 5 new ones between two neighbours. All free though - did report it as crime - as I'd expect you to have to though.

HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410

Where is Rotheramshire, and the nearest tube? ;)

Probably Watford Junction, although it's a bit of a walk after that.

Sheffield looks down on Rotherham and both of us look down on Barnsley.

It's a bit like that Cleese/Barker/Corbett sketch, only not as funny.

HOLA4411

If I had to pay for my wheelie bin, I'd take the wheels off so it doesn't get stolen.

:lol:

a replacement bin will probably be cheaper than the gym membership required so that you could eventually lift a bin that size with no wheels on it.

Edited by richyc

HOLA4412

Barnsley council charges £15 for the delivery of wheelie bins.

I recently wrote to my MP about my wheelie bin situation. I pointed out I had no recycling bin for metal and glass and that in 6months I had thrown away around about £15 (scrap value) of aluminium into the landfill bin.

And that the average family would do the same over the course of a year, thus it would be in their long term (1 year +) financial interest to deliver these bins free of charge. I was promptly delivered one for free.

There would also be the scrap value of the glass and steel, perhaps £5 per year on average.

And the prices of these recyclables are rising.

HOLA4413

http://www.thestar.c...-pay.6685869.jp

And how much will the council end up spending to clear up the mess of the inevitable rise in fly-tipping?

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416

Isn't it over 25% of council tax spent on their pensions now?

As top end salaries have risen so quickly under New Labour people retiring won't have made contributions over the years at the higher salary rate. So won't the pensions black hole just get worse and worse? More services cut and more excuses to charge extra for things to fund the fat cat pensions?

HOLA4417
Isn't it over 25% of council tax spent on their pensions now?

As top end salaries have risen so quickly under New Labour people retiring won't have made contributions over the years at the higher salary rate. So won't the pensions black hole just get worse and worse? More services cut and more excuses to charge extra for things to fund the fat cat pensions?

Eventually pensions will take up 100%.

Not long now.