House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
interestrateripoff

Supermarket Spree To Create 32,000 New Jobs

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2011/jan/10/supermarkets-plan-32000-jobs

The country's biggest supermarkets are set to create at least 32,000 jobs this year amid one of the biggest store-opening sprees in the history of UK grocery retailing.

Sainsbury's trumpeted plans today to create 20,000 jobs over the next three years – 6,500 this year – as the UK's third-largest supermarket tries to catch up with its larger rivals Tesco and Asda by targeting growth in the north, Scotland and Wales.

The news comes as the country is braced for 330,000 public-sector job cuts and follows profit warnings from several big high-street names after disappointing Christmas sales.

A recent study of UK supermarket expansion found one of the Big Four gets planning permission for a new store every working day of the year, with new Morrisons boss Dalton Philips also entering the fray by flagging up plans to recruit 6,000 staff, including 300 workers at its food-processing arm. "There are still many parts of the country where we are under-represented," he said.

Official figures from the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs put the number of workers in food and drink retailing at 1.1 million. Analysts at Evolution say the Big Four UK grocers are growing by 450,000 sq metres of new space a year, which would see total industry floorspace rise by more than a fifth by 2014.

Joanne Denney-Finch, chief executive of industry expert IGD, said: "Despite the tough economic conditions, the UK food and grocery market is proving resilient. It is growing at a rate of 3.1% and will be worth over £180bn by 2015."

Unless of course this growth is inflation?

Still good news for our knowledge based economy our graduates can stack shelves. Still yesterday RB posted 45000 jobs to go in financial services, so only 13,000 jobs to make up and we'll have equilibrium although I suspect the jobs lost will pay more than than these supermarket jobs.

Still at least the tax revenue won't be affected.

Having this debate in Huddersfield where Tesco are wanting to build a new store, to "create 300 extra jobs." However most of the jobs will be part time, and will probably destroy more proper jobs, and put more smaller retail outlets out of business.

At least we get a new sports centre out of it! I wonder what goodies these new stores are bringing everyone else?

But I've given up now. We quite clearly have politicians that have utter contempt for the public and would much rather do the City's bidding, so let them get on with it!

Edited by Sir John Steed

What about all the jobs lost when the local bakers, butchers and other high street shops close down?

You think our politicians care? When the boss of Tesco tells Cameron to jump, he says "how high?"

What about all the jobs lost when the local bakers, butchers and other high street shops close down?

Robbing Peter to pay Paul is fine provided you are Paul or one of Paul's cronies.

Robbing Peter to pay Paul is fine provided you are Paul or one of Paul's cronies.

So what do Supermarkets manufacture? This is still the service economy.

So what do Supermarkets manufacture? This is still the service economy.

Lets here it for the Supermarket trolley collectors.

Probably the most polite staff in any shop, anywhere. Out in all weathers, covering up other peoples laziness, protecting our cars from careless mums who are ENTITLED to leave their trolley anywhere, tireless in restocking the trolley magazine, shovelling the snow and numerous other small acts of kindness.

I salute you.

Has anyone mentioned that service jobs are not going to save the economy ?

We're just moving the problem and the government are probably helping fund this.

We need real jobs for the real recovery to start !!!

The big box model is essentially unbeatable. Super volume to spread set costs out. Huge ordering to get volume discounts. Ability to carry out capital investment.

Look at small businesses crying about credit availability. If you were a lender would you lend to the small competitors of the big boxes? On the other side, when these big boxes need credit, the bankers are more than willing to lend, and I bet at low rates.

I believe we should make these jobs good paying jobs. Like we did in the past with the mass factory jobs. But realistically that is not going to happen, way to much resistance, especially from middle Britain.

Has anyone mentioned that service jobs are not going to save the economy ?

We're just moving the problem and the government are probably helping fund this.

We need real jobs for the real recovery to start !!!

Sad thing is even when someone gets a real job, like putting in an honest work week at a retailer, our society isn't willing to pay them even a living wage. Let alone a wage to get some real disposable income.

Why bother creating something or inventing something? Why bother wasting all that money into research, when making money is staring at you in the face? Why bother thinking up the next iPhone 6 etc?

Just hoard all the land and deny someone else to use - or they must pay a rent for it. You've just set your family up for generations to come.

The supermarkets have been buying up land, pushing up prices. You think BTL was bad, this is BTL on an industrial scale.

Jobs that buy £162k houses?

Rent £162k houses 4 up.

I've seen the future and its the Dave, Osborne, Boris and Nethaniel show.

It's game over fellas, truly. Resign yourself to the Bullingdon Club offshore Chinese Hedge Fund that the boys are turning the UK into to. The Chinese will own the rentals eventually too, obviously.

Sad thing is even when someone gets a real job, like putting in an honest work week at a retailer, our society isn't willing to pay them even a living wage. Let alone a wage to get some real disposable income.

There is a current thread on MSE where someone has been on a work trial for Tesco (sent by the job centre), forced to buy a uniform, work for free for four weeks then chucked off again, totally out of pocket. NICE. It's happening all over the place apparently.

Rent £162k houses 4 up.

I've seen the future and its the Dave, Osborne, Boris and Nethaniel show.

It's game over fellas, truly. Resign yourself to the Bullingdon Club offshore Chinese Hedge Fund that the boys are turning the UK into to. The Chinese will own the rentals eventually too, obviously.

You can't touch me, I'm part of the union...

The big box model is essentially unbeatable. Super volume to spread set costs out. Huge ordering to get volume discounts. Ability to carry out capital investment.

Look at small businesses crying about credit availability. If you were a lender would you lend to the small competitors of the big boxes? On the other side, when these big boxes need credit, the bankers are more than willing to lend, and I bet at low rates.

I believe we should make these jobs good paying jobs. Like we did in the past with the mass factory jobs. But realistically that is not going to happen, way to much resistance, especially from middle Britain.

wages are one of the largest costs of most businesses, retail especially so.

Paying proper, breadwinner wages to all the staff would mean huge price rises....

Without the debt burden of this country, actually, £15K would BE a living wage.

Lets here it for the Supermarket trolley collectors.

Probably the most polite staff in any shop, anywhere. Out in all weathers, covering up other peoples laziness, protecting our cars from careless mums who are ENTITLED to leave their trolley anywhere, tireless in restocking the trolley magazine, shovelling the snow and numerous other small acts of kindness.

I salute you.

+1.

I saw the Morrisons MD on TV. He said something like:

'We are providing 6,000 skilled jobs'

'These are not dead end jobs - training will be to NVQ level 3'. :lol::lol:

What next, a degree in retail management for shelf stackers?

Requiring £000s of debt before you can operate an electronic scanner.

Don't tell me, I bet they already have one? :rolleyes:

Well, yes, of course the supermarket chains will say they'll create x number of jobs, to keep the government on their side.

I doubt whether they've said how long they'll employ the new workers for.

Example: last October the son of an acquaintance was taken on by the local Tesco Megashed, at the same time as a ruck of other kids, mainly school / college students, in a part-time but not fixed-term job. He was told he could expect to get around four hours a week. In the first fortnight he got loads more than that - around 40 hours in the fortnight. And six weeks after being taken on, he was sacked, along with a large proportion of the other kids.

This wasn't over Christmas, note, so they were not seasonal temporary jobs.

So, very few of the kids taken on in October are still working for Tesco, but Tesco can still trumpet the x number of jobs they created that month.

Edit: punctuation

Edited by Snugglybear

Call me a cynic, but this is exactly where we are headed. Add in a year of working for free.

well, you have butchers, bakers, buyers, tekkies for the electronics, back office and everything else a business needs.

Its not all shelf stacking..

well, you have butchers, bakers, buyers, tekkies for the electronics, back office and everything else a business needs.

Its not all shelf stacking..

Back office jobs? I don't think so. A lot of Tesco's back office operations have gone to India. In fact, the Indian back office unit is expecting all Tesco's work (including all Tesco Personal Finance) to be done there by 2013 - 2015.

Edit to add: Wipro, Bangalore, "provides computer services such as designing and building software programs, product-engineering and back-office support to ...William Morrison Supermarkets Plc..."

Edited by Snugglybear

Back office jobs? I don't think so. A lot of Tesco's back office operations have gone to India. In fact, the Indian back office unit is expecting all Tesco's work (including all Tesco Personal Finance) to be done there by 2013 - 2015.

Edit to add: Wipro, Bangalore, "provides computer services such as designing and building software programs, product-engineering and back-office support to ...William Morrison Supermarkets Plc..."

bit hard to replace a faulty part from Bangalore.

In any case, the CEO didnt say WHERE the jobs were.