House Price Crash Forum

Where Have All The 'anecdotals' Gone?

libitina

HOLA441
HOLA442

Anecdotally.. nothing much is moving near me. Most of the houses in my (very small) area have been up for sale since last year and have not sold.

Of interest is the number of small smarter homes that started at about £140k and are creeping down slowly. One has now reached £129k. They are just begging for offers under the £120k stamp duty threshold and once this happens I think things will begin to slide.

HOLA443
HOLA444

Couple of sliders:

This one has been around for ages.

Was on for £277,000, now £267,000

http://www.primelocation.com/uk-property-f.../ddbe999000173/

And this errr, unusual property I believe may have originally been on for £299,000 (v optimistic). Now revised to more realistic £269,000

http://www.primelocation.com/uk-property-f.../ddbe999000205/

Think I'll hold off a while and see what else slides into my price range.

HOLA445

Anecdotal:

A developer I know was going to buy a 4 bed house, knock the place down and build, you guessed it, "luxury" apartments.

Well a few weeks back the developer pulled out of the deal, completely. ie he didn't renegotiate the price, he just decided it wasn't worth going on.

This is down near Blightie.

HOLA446

Stopped down my way, nothing, did see a couple (2)of sales go through(removal trucks, a few more on the market now but no more sold boards, there was a couple of sold boards go up a few weeks ago, still there.

Did have a client come to see me yesterday, he decided to extend his prop instead of moving, he said "I just am not going to get enough for it to be able to move to slightly bigger property, so i've decided to extend it and take it off the market on monday" (£400K house)

Another client two weeks ago: he has an empty pit of a terrace house and he is trying to let it out. He came to ask about a conversion to 2 flats and how quick the planning procedures etc were,

he said "I have got to do something with it quickly cos it is just eating up my money and I can't afford it much longer, how quickly can you do it"

me:"well I am very busy at the moment, probably about 4 weeks for the drawings"

Him: "how much will it cost"

me: "£xxxx" (while trying not to laugh)

him: "Oooh!!, thats quite a lot"

me: "well that is the cheapest I can do it for"(trying not to burst out laughing)

him: "mmmm, I have got a friend who said he may be able to do it but he wasn't keen, might have to see if he will do it" (he was trying to push me into it and reduce the price)

me: Ok then, bye :lol::lol:

Place still empty, no planning application yet either, probably costing him £200/week

Not much anecdotal in it though, good to see him suffering <_<

my guess is that there has been a slight bounce(dead cat), the greatest fools have bought and are dwindling, now we are heading for big time crash!!

HOLA447

Local estate agent in Formby (Footballers wives area) had half the window with reduced about 2 weeks ago.. has now replaced it will "September Sale"

I'm just with parenets as I can't afford to live here by myself, in the areas I can nothing seems to have shifted from rightmove since Xmas :o

HOLA448
HOLA449
I like reading them.  :)

Most of mine these days are about people I know losing or about to lose their jobs. There has been four in the last months, and considering I live in the middle of nowhere that is alot.

Also learnt the other day of how an It consultant I know had to take a job running a small office.

So things are getting tight.

Been reading 'The Grapes of Wrath' over the weekend. Very interesting and full of wisdom.

HOLA4410
HOLA4411

I moved out of my old home when my landlady was forced to sell to pay off debts. My move out date was timed so I'd move out on the saturday and the new owners would move in on the sunday.

It's been one month today and the house is still empty (buyers got cold feet).

Edited by HomeAlone

HOLA4412

This one is about debt. A friend of mine managed to get a credit card. She has limited income and is very bad at managing money. Anyway she got a credit card and ran up the full limit (about £3000) on clothes for the kids, Xmas etc. Went to the bank to get a loan to pay of CC. The bank gave her a loan and she asked them if she needed to pay CC off with it. They said no...so she took the loan and spent it on holiday etc. Now has a loan and CC. She went to apply for another CC and they gave her one..no questions asked. She nearly maxed that out in two months. By now she is paying minimum payments on both. She went back to the bank (she already has a huge overdraft aswell). They offered her another CC. She told them she wouldn't get one because she already had two others and hadn't paid them. Response....they gave her another CC and advised her to got to the nearest cash point, draw out as much cash as she could on the previous CC and then offer them something silly like £2.50 a week to pay it off.

This woman works part time on low pay and has two kids. The kids are walking round with GAP clothes and the latest mobile phones but she can't afford to pay the rent <_<

How many others are living like this?

HOLA4413

this is anecdotal.

a couple of my friends,and also one person I know where I am currently working,are going through sticky patches relationship-wise.

I'm not to sure about the guy at work(I've only been on the project there for about 2 months),but this time last year my friends were quite happy.

Obviously I don't know all the ins and outs of what goes on in their private lives,but I have a hunch that the underlying concern is money worries.....but that it is manifesting itself in other forms.

....does anybody else know of friends/colleagues/associates going through the same thing in the same timescale?

is this the precursor to a jump in marital break-ups and forced sellings?

HOLA4414
HOLA4415

And now right in the middle of the voodoo zone from the £250k stamp duty threshold.

Yes, we have been looking at house in Blackheath (the cheap part) which is now on for £279k. It was on last year for £299k - maybe even more !

Dare me to make an offer of £250k plus a few grand for fixtures and fittings.

Edited by RRP

HOLA4416

Yes, we have been looking at house in Balckheath (the cheap part) which is now on for £279k. It was on last year for £299k - maybe even more !

Dare me to make an offer of £250k plus a few grand for fixtures and fittings.

Wait another month or two and offer £245k, including Fixtures and fittngs :lol:

Edited by libitina

HOLA4417

I spoke to the EA Saturday about a rented. (Huddersfield)

Said they had a good month last month but it's gone quite again.

Spoke to another about a semi on originally at £159,995

Reduced to an incredible £119,995

Put in an offer of £90,000 and rejected

I am putting in silly offers all over the place. Will catch one desperate to sell before the bailiffs turn up.

Is there any point in waiting when you may as well put in silly offers.

Put one in on a semi. Up at £190,000 offered £150,000 but they have had three offers for asking price but they have houses to sell. Venders prepared to wait.

HOLA4418

drove to the centre of london yesterday along the a4 the journey in was the most traffic free ive ever seen. went straight through the hyde park underpass and all the way to picadilly without stopping. asked a copper why so quiet. he said, bombs. noboddy seemed to be spending too much either.

anecdotal enough ?

HOLA4419
HOLA4420

A friend of mine, gifted a £200K windfall by his parents, bought a house a couple of months ago to do a Sarah Beeny job on it. He left his job to do this, and hopes to sell it quickly and make a few bob before moving onto something else.

HOLA4421
HOLA4422

I went to Calais last week and wondered why I could buy a farm near there for the price of a shit**** in Dover until I stopped off in Dover and realised it was the Athens of Ingerland where house prices were being held up by the special qualities of this sceptic isle.

Edited by Vivaldo

HOLA4423
A friend of mine, gifted a £200K windfall by his parents, bought a house a couple of months ago to do a Sarah Beeny job on it. He left his job to do this, and hopes to sell it quickly and make a few bob before moving onto something else.

Oh dear.

Good luck to him, I think he might need it.

HOLA4424

That reminds me...

Two Sarah Beenied houses have spontaneously disappeared from Rightmove recently, having languished there for nine months (South Manchester). Conspicuous in their unwillingness to shift. But then so it most stuff. I've only seen a couple go (out of ~50 props) usually the nicest looking.

I will try to find out where these two have gone.

HOLA4425

Mixed view from Wokingham, Berks...

Builders sticking up new flats like madmen (and buying up new land), we can't recruit enough admin staff at work, went out to a pretty expensive restaurant on Thurs pm and the place was packed.

On the other hand, prices edged down, very slightly, in the latest LR figures. Newbuild block of flats near us (about 12 max I'd guess) with 7 for sale signs outside from 4 different EAs.

Watching with interest! <_<