House Price Crash Forum
Harry Monk

The 'hidden Hunger' In British Families

Food parcels are associated with famine-struck parts of the world. Yet there is a "hidden hunger" in Britain, according to one charity, which has seen a surge in demand for its emergency supply boxes.

Sara is a married mother of two school-aged children. She lives in a four-bedroom house, drives an expensive car... and has relied on food handouts to feed her family.

Here's some advice Sara, move into the right sized house and sell your MEW-mobile and stop bellyaching, we have got problems of our own right now.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-11427207

Edited by Harry Monk

quote]The benefits agency says when families suddenly find themselves without money people can apply to the Social Fund for help, and that it does signpost people to Social Services and charities such as the Trussell Trust.

So, why are we paying all these taxes if the government multi-zillion cost to the taxpayer agency is directing claimants to charities?

Oh!

Silly me: it's Call Me Dave's "Big Society"!

Carry on charging the same taxes; nay; increase them.

And then expect citizens to do the work and fulfill the functions public sector bodies are funded to actually do.

Great scam!

If you'd posted the rest of the text.....it states that she sold the house and now is in rented accomodation ......... :rolleyes:

A personal tradegy for the lady in question I'm sure but lowering yourself to gloat over a partial quote is pretty juvenile, dont you think ?

So, why are we paying all these taxes if the government multi-zillion cost to the taxpayer agency is directing claimants to charities?

Oh!

And then expect citizens to do the work and fulfill the functions public sector bodies are funded to actually do.

Great scam!

do you understand the concept of deficit spending?

Oh!

Great scam!

You wouldn't feel quite aggrieved if all the tax money was going towards something you actually wanted to pay for.

"I had to drive down to the foodbank in a luxury car and pick up a food parcel to feed my family," she says. "How do you think that made me feel?

I don't know Sara, how did that feel?

It must have been awful, especially having to drive there in a luxury car. Poor you!

"I had to drive down to the foodbank in a luxury car and pick up a food parcel to feed my family," she says. "How do you think that made me feel?

Oh, you poor little rich girl.

do you understand the concept of deficit spending?

Rather well, actually.

Has nothing whatsoever to do with the comment.

Social Security was set up to replace the old National Assistance Board: and its primary goal was to provide for what is termed "Urgent Need".

Clearly, if it is now directing claimants to charities then it is failing in its objectives.

Yet Social Security

Consider:

It must have been awful, especially having to drive there in a luxury car. Poor you!

The problem is, as I see it, you can never satisfy greed.....

Leaves you permanently hungry.

If you'd posted the rest of the text.....it states that she sold the house and now is in rented accomodation ......... :rolleyes:

A personal tradegy for the lady in question I'm sure but lowering yourself to gloat over a partial quote is pretty juvenile, dont you think ?

Err.....no!

You wouldn't feel quite aggrieved if all the tax money was going towards something you actually wanted to pay for.

Don't understand: sorry.

:huh:

I'd feel stupid, and wonder about my priorities. The last thing i would do is speak to the media about it. I'd sell the damn car for a start.

A tragedy would be being widowed, or getting sick.

She spent her savings and used credit cards to pay the mortgage.

ccc, are you reading this? ;)

I hope he is because she proves the point.

The lazy b1tch is driving around picking up free food. She hasnt got a job has she? nor is she driving around looking for one. :D

Err no...her husband is a contractor and effectively lost his job.

Hope you gloating over the misfortune of others are touching wood ;)

The article didn't mention if there was any equity left after the sale, why assume there wasn't ?

ccc, are you reading this? ;)

I hope he is because she proves the point.

The lazy b1tch is driving around picking up free food. She hasnt got a job has she? nor is she driving around looking for one. :D

+1 :lol:

I am indeed. She is stupid lazy selfish cow who thinks she has it tough. When in fact compared to many in this World she has it so ******ing easy it is incredible. Feeling sorry for herself when she should get a grip and realise the good fortune she has. Unless I have missed something nobody has died ? So the World will go on and she should get a grip of herself.

Just read - her contractior husband lost his job - well duh that is what happens !! Name of the game. If you don't like it don't get into it and spend money like it will last forever. These 2 are made for each other. I have seen many of them about. The banks are full of them.

Anyway - Is this supposed to prove some point or other. :D:blink:

I think we are all in agreement on this one !! Well except for the Moody frog.

Err no...her husband is a contractor and effectively lost his job.

Hope you gloating over the misfortune of others are touching wood ;)

The article didn't mention if there was any equity left after the sale, why assume there wasn't ?

Sara, not her real name, is 50 and lives in the relatively prosperous Wiltshire city of Salisbury with her husband, a contractor who works in training.

what kind of contractor is that?

Edited by Si1

<_<

Not sure you can draw that conclusion from the article:

"Any money we did have went quickly on paying the mortgage, and our credit cards were also maxed out."

It doesn't explicitly state they used CC to pay for the mortgage does it.

Wahat does it matter anyway how you "allocate" your spending ?

If her outgoings in a given month were 700 quid mortgage and 700 quid for everything else, and she only had 700 in savings, then she could choose to a) pay the mortgage from savings and bills from CC, or B) pay the mortgage from CC and the bills from savings. Either way the situation is exactly the same... she is spending beyond her means.

Yes.

She was you.

You will be her.

I will be her ?! She was me !!

Nah still a bit confused here. I drink, I am not a bird, I dont have a husband, any kids, I dont live in Wiltshire and I dont drive an expensive car. I am a bit of a dick though and she seems to be also. So there is at least one similarity.

And I noticed you didn't mention the other bird mentioned in this article. Some, more than likely unemployed, bird who isn't happy that the welfare state has 'let her down' by making her go for food handouts. :rolleyes:

But Racheal Hughes, 25, also from Salisbury, says she has relied on foodbank boxes about 15 times, often as a result of her benefits stopping after her circumstances altered.

This mother of a six-month-old boy says her benefits were suspended due to her changing her address, and that it took about three months to sort her money out. She had already had three Crisis Loans and could not apply for more.

"I was pregnant when my money stopped and would have been in dire straits. When I was fed by the Trussell Trust I was relieved, overwhelmed, grateful. More people should know about them.

"Sometimes, when I get a foodbank box, I get really embarrassed that I can't feed my family. I very much feel that I have been let down by the welfare state."

I will be her ?! She was me !!

Nah still a bit confused here. I drink, I am not a bird, I dont have a husband, any kids, I dont live in Wiltshire and I dont drive an expensive car. I am a bit of a dick though and she seems to be also. So there is at least one similarity.

And I noticed you didn't mention the other bird mentioned in this article. Some, more than likely unemployed, bird who isn't happy that the welfare state has 'let her down' by making her go for food handouts. :rolleyes:

But Racheal Hughes, 25, also from Salisbury, says she has relied on foodbank boxes about 15 times, often as a result of her benefits stopping after her circumstances altered.

This mother of a six-month-old boy says her benefits were suspended due to her changing her address, and that it took about three months to sort her money out. She had already had three Crisis Loans and could not apply for more.

"I was pregnant when my money stopped and would have been in dire straits. When I was fed by the Trussell Trust I was relieved, overwhelmed, grateful. More people should know about them.

"Sometimes, when I get a foodbank box, I get really embarrassed that I can't feed my family. I very much feel that I have been let down by the welfare state."

typical.

why did she bring another life into this world when she cant manage her own? she is a selfish moron.

she has to get free food and feels let down by the welfare system? That is years of labour and free cash right there. Any one else would be embarrassed because they cant provide for their child not angry because they arent getting enough free cash. Fecking scum.