House Price Crash Forum
TheIncomer

Newquay Airport, Another Nail In Its Coffin

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-12154501

"Air Southwest withdrawing flights to London Gatwick ... Air Southwest's service between Plymouth, Newquay and London Gatwick will not operate from 1 February because the route is losing money"

That leaves FlyBe as the last man standing. I can't imagine Newquay Airport is anything like a going concern with so few flights. So now FlyBe is a monopoly, they'll ramp ticket prices to keep going, which will damage the stag'n'hen weekends in Newquay, and will hit the weekly commuters hard, but probably won't help the Council (owners of the airport IIRC). Knock on effects on the 2nd home market inevitable IMHO.

"Air Southwest withdrawing flights to London Gatwick ... Air Southwest's service between Plymouth, Newquay and London Gatwick will not operate from 1 February because the route is losing money"

That leaves FlyBe as the last man standing. I can't imagine Newquay Airport is anything like a going concern with so few flights. So now FlyBe is a monopoly, they'll ramp ticket prices to keep going, which will damage the stag'n'hen weekends in Newquay, and will hit the weekly commuters hard, but probably won't help the Council (owners of the airport IIRC). Knock on effects on the 2nd home market inevitable IMHO.

Are Ryanair not set to resume flying from Newquay at the end of March?

I guess a heliport at Rock is enough for the banksters, why would they want to rub shoulders with Joe Public on a normql flight down from London, they might catch something....

I suspect most holiday let/ 2nd home market drive. It's not too bad if you pick your time. It'll also really hit the business users hard, especially as Flybe don't do Plymouth.

Newquay problems: BA switching from Heathrow to Gatwick, the military pulling out of providing free air traffic control, the airport development fee, no landing in fog and the improvement in the A30.

It's very short notice to withdraw the service. Of all the flights out of Newquay, London must be the most "profitable". Are Air Southwest pulling all flights from Newquay ?

Bad news for Cornwall which I think is going to be very badly hit, with big house price falls, during the upcoming cutbacks.

You'd be surprised how many 2nd homers fly down. In particular Wife and Kids drive down for a few weeks in summer, Dad flies down for part of the time. Also quite a lot of weekly commuters.

IMHO flights to Alicante etc are counter productive, they take money out of Cornwall, not bring it in! London is the only destination that adds value :)

Another sign of horrible times to come in Cornwall IMHO

You'd be surprised how many 2nd homers fly down. In particular Wife and Kids drive down for a few weeks in summer, Dad flies down for part of the time. Also quite a lot of weekly commuters.

Another sign of horrible times to come in Cornwall IMHO

Horrible?

You mean people might actually have to live there all the time and not just treat it like a toy?

Flying as the commute to work must be one of the most insane things I've ever heard.

To Harold Bishop,

Just to put the record straight, Newquay has undergone a massive redevelopment and now has exceptional Air Navigation facilities allowing landings in all weathers including fog!

Regards

Alfa

Just to put the record straight, Newquay has undergone a massive redevelopment and now has exceptional Air Navigation facilities allowing landings in all weathers including fog!

... at my expense :(