House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Frizzers

Wandsworth Common - Earlsfield

How's the housing market in this part of Wandsworth - between the Common and Earlsfield? Anyone got any ideas?

Judging by all the building work that's going on - rennovations, conversions etc - I would say, unbelievably, buoyant. There are also lots of 'sold' signs around. Anyone got the real dirt?

How's the housing market in this part of Wandsworth - between the Common and Earlsfield? Anyone got any ideas?

Judging by all the building work that's going on - rennovations, conversions etc - I would say, unbelievably, buoyant. There are also lots of 'sold' signs around. Anyone got the real dirt?

Nappy valley is outdoing almost every other area in London. Prices are steady and good quality houses sell quite quickly. Some quite outstanding state and church schools in the area, you would be hard pressed to find better in London. This I'm sure is the driving force behind the many sold signs.

Magdalen Estate area apparently very buoyant at the moment.

3 for sale signs all for largish terraced houses in my road went up in Jan. 1 now sold, 2 sale agreed.

Getting a lot of EAs pushing me to put my house on. Demand currently outstripping supply, they say.

As far as I can make out no real decline from 2004 to now, some stagnation and now this rally up in the last couple of months.

EA's valuations of my place up significantly since September 05.

No hard data to back up the above, just the observations of a nosy neighbour on the verge of STR trying to keep his finger on the pulse.

SW18 has gone crazy (assume same in SW11). We are in Earlsfield. Last year (March) we were under offer (3 Bed terrace) for £410k (asked £425) - about market then. We pulled out due to imminent birth of baby. Anyway, went back on market today and a very similar 3 bed on our road went last week for £500k. Others in area have gone for between 480-500 in last few months. Ours is v nice so Agents suggested £520k. Madness.

Our neighbours sold in summer last year for £425k and I know a house sold on our road in Nov for £450k. Thinsg seem to have climbed over the last 12 months on low volume/supply. Properties are really going under offer same day at the moment for the right ones (esp houses).

I would never have believed this would be the state of the market if you'd asked me last year (where I thought we were stagnating still or starting to decline). Prices here are 15%-20% up in a year.

I am now probably going to buy rather than STR when we move out of London as the prices outside have not moved up by this factor and it has at a stroke restored my buying power up the chain. I remain a bear in that I think housing is way overpriced but I had persuaded the wife to STR last year but we stayed put thanks to baby. That decision would have cost me £25k in rent and (if we sell near asking) £90k in equity (ie £115k). It would also have cost me the increase in target prices (c.5%) in that year if I had decided to buy after a year's STR or £25k a year in rent until prices came back into reach/crashed. The downside is outweighed by the upside I am starting to think.

If you get the STR decision wrong in timing terms it is painful - if you get it right it looks legendary.

Anyway, I digress. The market where I am in SW18 is flying.