House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Sledgehead

Telegraph: Winter Of Discontent; Powercuts

Cover story on today's Telegraph

And the forecast for this winter is… bitterly cold with heavy snow and power blackouts, Telegraph 18 sept 2005

So enery is set to remain a key issue.

As a side issue, are LLs responsible for providing access to services? If the place was rented as having electricity, are they compormising the contract? Should they think about providing generators?

:D

Edited by Sledgehead

Guest Charlie The Tramp
As a side issue, are LLs responsible for providing access to services? If the place was rented as having electricity, are they compromising the contract? Should they should think about providing generators?

All sensible LLs will have the old faithful Force Majeur in their contract conditions-won`t they? :rolleyes:

"All circumstances independent of the will of man AND which is not in his power to control”

Good new for plumbing and heating engineers.

Its been a good number of years since we had a very cold winter. Obviously this will increase property sales and values in the last quarter :lol:

Viewing with EA Dec /Jan. Lovely house sir, sensibly priced and will be great after you fork out for new plumbing and heating LOL.

Mr Joe.

So enery is set to remain a key issue.

As a side issue, are LLs responsible for providing access to services? If the place was rented as having electricity, are they compormising the contract? Should they think about providing generators?

:D

most rented places you will find it is the responsibility of the tenant to pay for utilities used.

the landlords responsibility is to make sure that appliances supplied for cooking/heating etc are in good working order and not dangerous.

...I don't think you'll be able to get much joy out of a LL if the gas supply is rationed to a couple of days a week.........could be worth a try though!

it'll be worth watching BTL panic when you tell them,"I need heating,get me a couple of generators and a fan heater or I'm terminating the tenancy!"

On a very serious note. The cold is a killer especially for the old.

Mr Joe.

When British Gas announced it's price hike I mentioned that I wondered if the cold weather payments would go up by the same percent, unfortunately, I doubt it. Though would love to be proven wrong.

On the letter I got from British Gas telling me about the 14% increase I am sure it also said there would be a rebate of about £70 for those on low income/elderly. Did anyone else see this?