House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Spirit

Tales Of A Landlady

Wenham-Jones, who lives in Broadstairs, Kent, bought her first buy-to-let house in the neighbouring town of Ramsgate in 1991. “I got a straight mortgage because there were no buy-to-let mortgages around then. Banks were wary of developers, so I pretended I was buying it for my aged mother,” she says brightly.
I used the money from the sale of the first two houses to buy a share of a wine bar in Broadstairs. The night it opened, we had a big party. I was on the door in a glittery black dress, handing out champagne, when my mobile rang. It was the police, saying there had been an incident at one of my houses.”

An understatement; a friend of one of Wenham-Jones’s tenants had been murdered. He had tried to break up an argument between two of her other tenants who lived on the floors above.

“He went upstairs to calm things down, whereupon one of my tenants picked up a carving knife and stabbed him,” she says. A week later, her remaining tenant, the friend of the murdered man, hanged himself in his flat.

“So I lost all three tenants in one fell swoop.” How unfortunate.

“No, I was quite upset when he died. It cost me £3,000 to clear the place up, because there was blood all over the walls. And do you know, I didn’t get any money back from the insurance. There is a clause saying if the damage is self-inflicted you don’t get any money back.”

Buy-to-let is my pension, and I got my first novel, Raising The Roof, out of it.” Any regrets? “No, I’m really glad I did it. My first three houses are now mortgage-free. I just wish I had been tougher with the tenants. In fact, it’s made me a lot more right-wing. I used to think everyone was wonderful. I now realise that some people are just f****** horrible.”

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/newspaper/0,,...1780770,00.html

“No, I was quite upset when he died. It cost me £3,000 to clear the place up, because there was blood all over the walls. And do you know, I didn’t get any money back from the insurance.

Bitch! :angry:

So being right-wing means that you start disliking people?

Dead right!

When you're a right winger you hate *everyone*; other people scrounge off you; they're all just horrible swines; they're the wrong colour; their accents are 'funny'; they can't afford their kids; they're lazy, good-for-nothing, b@sr@rds. (Sorry! Am I beginning to sound like the Daily Hate Mail?)

But you love yourself - a lot.

Tell us something new, dinsdale.

p