House Price Crash Forum
Guest The Relaxation Suite

Government Moves Closer To Full Internet Control

Obama comes up with "National Strategy for Trusted Identities, which investigates ways that web users can protect their online identities" aka ways to monitor all internet access and use by everyone.

"White House Cybersecurity Coordinator Howard Schmidt said the move does not mean that anonymity will be compromised.

‘I don't have to get a credential if I don't want to,’ he said. There's no chance that ‘a centralised database will emerge." Translated = there will soon be a centralised database. When this is installed over the next few years I wonder how much internet access will be taxed at by central government?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1345576/Obama-considers-Internet-ID-Americans-bid-boost-web-security.html

Massively bad idea!!

It'll only be used for snooping on users and will not improve anything, everyone else on the internet will still have access as they wish so you're not going to be any more secure from other users.

This is a truely scary step and is hardly 'liberal', after all that's what the democratic party are, a liberal party, to protect people cival liberties! Hold, weren't labour also liberal and look at the crazy s*** they came up with.

Massively bad idea!!

It'll only be used for snooping on users and will not improve anything, everyone else on the internet will still have access as they wish so you're not going to be any more secure from other users.

This is a truely scary step and is hardly 'liberal', after all that's what the democratic party are, a liberal party, to protect people cival liberties! Hold, weren't labour also liberal and look at the crazy s*** they came up with.

If you think that democrats are liberals then I have a lovely bridge i'd like to sell you

Massively bad idea!!

I agree it is a very bad idea, but it's a good idea from the perspective of those who want to increase the state and its monitoring capabilities. I argued several years ago that these years now are the "Wild West" years of the internet, and that regulation would soon roll into town. This looks like the thin end of the wedge. What is interesting is that the internet is effectively self-policed by the people as they did centuries ago in real life. No centralised control here - sites have their own mods, etc., and it works really well. Of course it's in certain people's interests to tell you you need central government to control it, which is palpably not the case with either the internet or real life.

FYI Labour were "social democrats" rather than liberal.