House Price Crash Forum
lady_muckfish

Shop Owner Next Door Put All Of Our Stuff In Our Garden In The Skip!

Complicated story.

Basically the landlord owns the whole building which includes 2 flats, shop on the ground floor and also a garden which is shared between the flats.

Over the summer, the landlord leased the empty shop downstairs so it will be turned into a coffee shop. We found out, it was being leased to the clothes shop owner next door.

Our landlord visited us as we had a few issues that needed to be dealt with, and he informed us that the clothes shop owner was intending to turn the garden into a coffee shop garden...

We weren't sure about this and was working out how this will affect us as it would mean letting the public into our own garden, security issues, how much access we have to the garden, etc, etc - anyway, that's a whole other issue.

However, it wasn't till the next day when we found out the bloody clothes shop owner took over the garden and threw ALL OF OUR STUFF FROM THE GARDEN INTO A SKIP. This included our little herb garden, a small plastic greenhouse, 6x plastic chairs and we also put raised beds with edible things growing in the garden (which we did neglect due to the poor weather) but it's bloody annoying as we actually used the things there!

We wrote a list of things that were binned and worked out the amount that we needed to be compensated was £85 (this is a low estimate, we took into the account then when we move, we wouldn't be able to take the raised beds with us and it's contents so thought we could forego that).

When informing the clothes shop owner, his reaction was "those chairs are cheap anyway and that he was going to make the garden look really nice anyway and he can give his some herbs from his own garden".

He has been completely patronising to us, making fun of us to the builders about the fact we produced a list to him (builders were converting the shop to a cafe) and so far has not given us any money or herbs!! It's been over 4 months now and the thought of having to talk to him again makes my blood boil and skin crawl.

We've tried asking him and the only thing he's said is it's winter, there's no point in giving us any herbs now...

I have never met anyone so arrogant, rude and patronising in my life!

I really want the money from him, more out of principle and the money would come in handy!

Also turns out he's pulled out of the coffee shop (was to be a shared ownership anyway), but he's still working out at the clothes shop next door.

What do I do??

Shall I write a letter to him? I just don't think I can face talking to him again because he's such an arrogant ***** and we're also moving as well (looking to complete a purchase). We have his landline... but again, don't want to talk to him

Sue him via small claims, assuming you can prove a loss. Getting the letter from the court should wipe the smug grin off his face, if nothing else.

I'd also look into the legality of his actions.

A small plastic greehouse and plastic chairs ? move on with your life or else you are going to turn into a very unhappy bunny...

I'm just at the point where I want to do something completely immature and post poo in his letter box because he is such a c*o*c*k.

Surely a normal human being would have asked the people living at the property if there was anything in the garden they wanted to keep before chucking our stuff away?

Not only did he chuck stuff away from our garden, but there was gardening things (including pots, gardening tools, weed killer) in our basement which was the entrance to the garden and all of those stuff were chucked away as well.

Surely that is crossing the line???

He's seriously, a very unpleasant man and I'm really looking forward to not having to see him again.

No idea what's happening to the garden at this point, as the weather has been so bad nothing's been done after all that.

Plus as I mentioned before, he's pulled out so I'm not sure if the other owners are going to go ahead with it anyway?

A small plastic greehouse and plastic chairs ? move on with your life or else you are going to turn into a very unhappy bunny...

The erosion of the individual's right under the auspices of 'doing business' for people who haven't got a massive mortgage around their necks is well demonstrated in this case.

Went through a fairly similar situation to yourself, albeit as an owner in a buiding with commercial premise.

I would be surprised if permission has been sought (and granted) through the council for either change of use to A3 (Coffee Shop) or the turning of land (garden) from resedential to commercial, you should be able to check this on the council website.

Do you have access to the lease of the building? It may have something about the garden, it could also have a covenant that prevents the shop being used a an A3 unit.

Are there any flats in the building with owner occupiers or owners who aren't the landlord? they would have far more to lose than you so would be a useful ally.

As a poster above has suggested you should get the N1 claim form ready purely out of spite (to be fair you should have reported this to the police at the time purely so there is a documented record) if you do want to write to him you could send him a brief dated note stating you will be taking him to small claims unless he pays up within 28 days

at the same time I would start making a nuisance of yourself by contacting any council department that would be interested in this situation (again this was mentioned above).

You can certainly throw a few spanners in the works for the landlord and coffee shop owners but as for getting at the clothes shop owner you may only have one legal route to pursue

Sounded like a quality of life issue with loss of the garden. Some people derive real pleasure/relaxation/de-stressing from it. Ignore the trivia, but someone who has taken the trouble to grow herbs looks like someone who values the amenity.

What amount of your belongings can I arbitarily bin? £100? £1000? £10000? It doesn't matter if it is 83p, £83 or £83k - you don't just chuck away people's belongings then act like a total **** when they ask you about it.

Thanks for all your replies!

It's good to know that I'm not being petty by wanted at least some compensation for the stuff that's been binned!

When the sign was up for the lease of the shop - I did see A3 being advertised so I think it must have previously been a cafe at one point in it's lifetime. I dont' really have an issue with the current shop owner or landlord, especially as we're looking to move out really soon anyway. It sounds like they're being quiet about turning the garden into a coffee shop garden (I think this was really driven by the clothes shop owner than by them), so unless the sale falls through and we have to stay - I'm not going to investigate that... yet.

The only person I really have a problem with is the clothes shop owner, he owns a boutique designer clothes shop which seems to mean he feels he can look down at us and be a complete patronising git.

I'll look inth the N1 form and see what can be done there.

I feel like a coward that I can't talk to him to his face, but he's so quick with his answers that I just end up stunned and don't think of a comeback till after the conversation!

I'm just at the point where I want to do something completely immature and post poo in his letter box because he is such a c*o*c*k.

Surely a normal human being would have asked the people living at the property if there was anything in the garden they wanted to keep before chucking our stuff away?

Not only did he chuck stuff away from our garden, but there was gardening things (including pots, gardening tools, weed killer) in our basement which was the entrance to the garden and all of those stuff were chucked away as well.

Surely that is crossing the line???

He's seriously, a very unpleasant man and I'm really looking forward to not having to see him again.

No idea what's happening to the garden at this point, as the weather has been so bad nothing's been done after all that.

Plus as I mentioned before, he's pulled out so I'm not sure if the other owners are going to go ahead with it anyway?

you have his landline, is it his personal number?

be childish to give yourself some satisfaction then move on and forget it.

put an add in the free ads or local papers for an xbox connect and 2 games for £100 with his number. Ask for evening calls only. Put his landline on it. He will get plenty of interest :D

When the sign was up for the lease of the shop - I did see A3 being advertised so I think it must have previously been a cafe at one point in it's lifetime. I dont' really have an issue with the current shop owner or landlord, especially as we're looking to move out really soon anyway. It sounds like they're being quiet about turning the garden into a coffee shop garden (I think this was really driven by the clothes shop owner than by them), so unless the sale falls through and we have to stay - I'm not going to investigate that... yet.

Not particularly relevant as the project isnt going a head but a coffee shop (as opposed to a cafe), is classed by many authorities as an A1 (Shop), so planning permission for change of use may not have been required.

Edited by Planner

What amount of your belongings can I arbitarily bin? £100? £1000? £10000? It doesn't matter if it is 83p, £83 or £83k - you don't just chuck away people's belongings then act like a total **** when they ask you about it.

I'd also add that I firmly feel that everyone with the attitude of the skip-chucked should be hassled; for a small loss that's far more important than getting anything back. People should not get away with being an ****.

o/t,do you think now is a good time to buy?

i found a house i really liked which was initially on for £230k (out of our budget), it went down in price every month and 2 sales fell through.

We then gave them a final offer of £196k and they accepted - there's no chain our end on theirs.

So for me, I felt it was a good time to buy.

Have been wanting to move into a bigger place for ages now, but the thought of paying more agency fees, higher rent etc put me off and I'm lucky enough to have quite a bit of savings so bit the bullet and went for it.

Ok - he is just a knob.

Wrote a very polite letter reminding him of the outstanding money and he's just posted the letter straight back through our door.

guess that means we're getting nothing from him then.

Dick!

Ok - he is just a knob.

Wrote a very polite letter reminding him of the outstanding money and he's just posted the letter straight back through our door.

Dick!

told you, put him in the free adds :D

it will make you feel better.

Ok - he is just a knob.

Dick!

Tell him you will do a small claim against him, and then if he won't pay up, go through with it - its really easy on www.moneyclaim.gov.uk.

He will then have to pay you (plus the court fee) unless he can successfully defend his actions in throwing away your stuff, which he probably can't

Tell him you will do a small claim against him, and then if he won't pay up, go through with it - its really easy on www.moneyclaim.gov.uk.

He will then have to pay you (plus the court fee) unless he can successfully defend his actions in throwing away your stuff, which he probably can't

Thanks, I think I'm going to have to do this, just to put him in his place more than anything!

Have contacted the landlord as well to see if there's anything he can do.

What a joker.

He sent an email to me saying he's no longer involved with the Coffee shop and that we have to get the money off them - when initially it was him who was seeing the whole coffee shop refurb and it everything was under his instruction.

Landlord is getting involved now.

GRRRR

What a joker.

He sent an email to me saying he's no longer involved with the Coffee shop and that we have to get the money off them - when initially it was him who was seeing the whole coffee shop refurb and it everything was under his instruction.

Landlord is getting involved now.

GRRRR

Don't have any more communication with him. Just sue the fecker