House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Golden Shower

Sas Trainers Denounce ‘gung Ho’ Armed Police

This article in The Times is strangley funny;

Policemen wanna be Rambo

Some choice quotes

“We thought that police firearms officers were far more concerned with their personal image, dressing in body armour and looking ‘gung ho’, rather than their professional capabilities. I’m not surprised at the number of mistakes over the years.

“There is no assessment of physical fitness, no psychological profiling, nothing. It’s a major problem.”

:blink:

The SAS officers claim they often found police firearms units to be small “cliques” with professional standards below those found in the military. “In the bar after exercises, the police would still be carrying their pistols and have MP5s (machine guns) slung over their shoulder so they could pose for photos. The first question they always asked was whether we had killed anyone.”

:blink::huh::lol:

And finally

They added that many security firms operating in Iraq had a policy of not employing former police firearms officers.

F*ckin' 'ell! And someone's given them guns!

Guest Charlie The Tramp
In the bar after exercises, the police would still be carrying their pistols and have MP5s (machine guns) slung over their shoulder so they could pose for photos. The first question they always asked was whether we had killed anyone.”

You only have to observe them at the airports to see the posing.

According vto some of my pals who know people out in Iraq on the cicuit, they always go for ex-soldiers rather than police is because soldiers are trained to react quickly and effectively to sustained enemy fire.

Whereas the firearms policeman is trained in hostage and armed entry where there is little incoming fire. So the policeman in Iraq is useless.

Any low quality individual can be trained to operate a weapon. It's a whole different ball game and takes a whole different person and long term training to operate that weapon amongst many other tasks when you're cold, wet, tired, hungry and scared. Soldiers, when deployed, don't have the luxury that the police have of doing 'shifts', sitting around in dry uniforms in patrol cars and then going home. In the field there is nowhere to go home to and you are always on duty and the conditions would make a hog throw in the towel. Soldiers may not be considered by many as anything special and they are often overlooked but they are a special group indeed.

Thank you Property Dreamer, I will send that to some of my buddies out in Iraq at the moment.

They appreciate it when someone acknowledges them.

Guest boredwaiting
Thank you Property Dreamer, I will send that to some of my buddies out in Iraq at the moment.

They appreciate it when someone acknowledges them.

Do soldiers feel unappreciated? Wow I would never think that. I was going to Joing the Marines when I was finishing university but after spending three years in the TA (OTC) I got the impression that many people were not happy (1992). There seemed less places to go to and a friend in the navy spent his first year in the dry dock. However I met a lot of people and spent time in a lot of units, people just did what was needed - I never heard people complain about anything (not seriously, and if they did - it was light hearted while they were doing the job they were asked to do.)

I have had a lot of respect for men and women who just get on with what they have got and where they are... You can't help but be proud when you see our forces doing what they do and with what they have got...