House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

southmartin

Mr John Lewis - I've Rumbled You

So for a while I've wondered how John Lewis stay in business, have growth even! As they seem to offer an excellent service, good sales assistants that get paid well, and they promise to price match any item as they're "never knowingly undersold?"

Seems too good to be true? Well yes, it is. Here's how they do it.

Quite simply, they don't price match. Oh sure, I know they say they do, but has anyone ever tried it with them? I went in today to see if I could get a Sony BluRay system for the same price as it's being sold in Richer Sounds.... It's £349 in JL, only £249 in RS, a whopping £100 cheaper.

So I approached 3 assistants (who were all standing around having a gossip) to ask if they'd price match. "Of course" they all said, "as long as it was exactly the same product". I said that it was and showed them the RS site. Then, as if on song, all three of them said "It has to be the same, INCLUDING the 2 yr guarantee... Does this one have a two year guarantee?"

Now, aside from the fact that RS will do a 5 year guarantee for 10% of the purchase cost, thus making the same product with an extra 3 years actually still £75 cheaper, they wouldn't match as "it wasn't identical"

So there you have it. The reason John Lewis offer a 2 year guarantee is not to serve the customer better, but to ensure they don't have to honour their 'Price Promise'. - Quite cunning when you think about it really!

[so for a while I've wondered how John Lewis stay in business, have growth even! As they seem to offer an excellent service, good sales assistants that get paid well, and they promise to price match any item as they're "never knowingly undersold?"

Quite simply, they don't price match. Oh sure, I know they say they do, but has anyone ever tried it with them? I went in today to see if I could get a Sony BluRay system for the same price as it's being sold in Richer Sounds.... It's £349 in JL, only £249 in RS, a whopping £100 cheaper.

So I approached 3 assistants (who were all standing around having a gossip) to ask if they'd price match. "Of course" they all said, "as long as it was exactly the same product". I said that it was and showed them the RS site. Then, as if on song, all three of them said "It has to be the same, INCLUDING the 2 yr guarantee... Does this one have a two year guarantee?"

Now, aside from the fact that RS will do a 5 year guarantee for 10% of the purchase cost, thus making the same product with an extra 3 years actually still £75 cheaper, they wouldn't match as "it wasn't identical"

So there you have it. The reason John Lewis offer a 2 year guarantee is not to serve the customer better, but to ensure they don't have to honour their 'Price Promise'. - Quite cunning when you think about it really!

Yea considering most goods of that type won't fail after two years. Had my blu-ray player for a good 2 years now with no issues. A 2 year guarantee is unusual, as they probably know and it has clearly been drummed into them that this is the first line of butress defence when asked about price matching, as they all answered in harmony.

Why waste your time and not just buy from Richer Sounds? Wouldn't dream of buying something like that from a department store. My LG BlueRay player came from Richer, and had excellent pre-sales support from Richer Sounds in Romford.

Why waste your time and not just buy from Richer Sounds? Wouldn't dream of buying something like that from a department store. My LG BlueRay player came from Richer, and had excellent pre-sales support from Richer Sounds in Romford.

Good point and I agree, except for I had to go into JL to return an xmas gift, and my nearest RS is 20 miles away (in store offer only) and I figured that was probably a tenner in fuel...

Not a problem in my John Lewis. In fact they price matched a TV and exceeded the warranty by three years (to take it up to a full five over the price matched products 2 years). That was also against Richer Sounds. Given that the restriction to 2 years on a warranty isn't worth the paper it's written on anyway (under EU law your covered for any period of time that it would be reasonable for the goods to last for up to a maximum of five years - and electronics it has been established should last at least five under this rule)...there is no reason for the John Lewis to have turned you down.

I would go back - ask for a manager - if he refuses report them to trading standards, which?, watchdog etc.

So for a while I've wondered how John Lewis stay in business, have growth even! As they seem to offer an excellent service, good sales assistants that get paid well, and they promise to price match any item as they're "never knowingly undersold?"

A letter to the store manage, then the local paper after he has failed to respond adequately?

I have tried to get a price match out of JL once, and it was going to take a week for some reason, so just bought at the cheaper place. Their 2 year guarantee is worth having even though you should be covered under eu law as you don't have to argue the point. I bought a laptop which broke after 12 months, and they did fix and eventually replace.

Bought a TV in Dec 2006 with the price promise, took a few days but got it for £650 instead of £795. Needed it for the 5 yr guarantee. Good job because it broke in Sept 2010 and the repair service was first class, even getting a loan TV during the duration to the repair. Also got a price match on a child's car seat against a local retailer so not sure what the problem is.

Of course, if you only impulse purchase and do not understand the concept of delayed gratification then, no, you won't like John Lewis. Is that why the Daily Fail is complaining?

A letter to the store manage, then the local paper after he has failed to respond adequately?

Or buy it from Richer Sounds and get on with your life......

Seriously, do you think this board is rich pickings for Mail journos?

I'm sure this isn't the first time an obscure post has made into the Wail's pages... Perhaps we should start a bogus immigrant/house price/ labour MP sex scandal thread and see if they run with it?