House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
tomandlu

Oven

Hi,

The oven at our current rental is rubbish - however, I'm also wondering if it fails a basic safety check. It has the following two issues:

• The gas on the hob burners does not shut off if the flame goes out or is not lit (i.e. no thermostat)
  • The gas on the hobs doesn't shut off if the glass cover is lowered over them

Assuming, one way or another, we persuade the LL to replace, would it be odd to volunteer to chip in some money to get a better replacement than the LL would otherwise provide? He seems a decent enough bloke, but he's only had students and/or lads in this place before, and seems slightly thrown by the idea that someone might actually want to cook something other than pot-noodles...

Bloody hell that sounds like a death oven! Gas that won't turn off? The landlord will be looking at a jail sentence if he doesn't replace it pronto.

You shouldn't have to contribute for an oven that meets minimum standards of safety. If you want some sort of designer oven then yes, maybe. But it doesn't really sound like you need that. You just need a working oven that will not kill you.

Tell your tightfisted lazy ar$e landlord to get it sorted or you will contact the council to have the flat declared unsafe for human habitation.

Edited by MacGuffin

Hi,

The oven at our current rental is rubbish - however, I'm also wondering if it fails a basic safety check. It has the following two issues:

[*]The gas on the hob burners does not shut off if the flame goes out or is not lit (i.e. no thermostat)

Eh.

I have an almost new gas hob fitted into my kitchen and:

"the gas on the hob burners does not shut off if the flame goes out".

This isn't a standard "must have" feature. If you have seen it elsewhere it is a high-end option that you were lucky to have.

tim

Eh.

I have an almost new gas hob fitted into my kitchen and:

"the gas on the hob burners does not shut off if the flame goes out".

This isn't a standard "must have" feature. If you have seen it elsewhere it is a high-end option that you were lucky to have.

tim

Funnily enough, just been looking at Currys website for ovens (slow as treacle, btw), and noticed this:

The whole ensemble is covered when not in use with a lid incorporating safety cut-out, so that gas cannot be emitted when the lid is down. Each of the four gas hob burners is fitted with a flame supervision device, making this cooker compliant with the law for those living in a flat or rented accommodation.

So, if you're in rented, your cooker ain't legal...

> making this cooker compliant with the law for those living in a flat or rented

What they really mean is "rented flats and multi-dwellings" AFAIK it doesnt apply to a rented house.

--

> making this cooker compliant with the law for those living in a flat or rented

What they really mean is "rented flats and multi-dwellings" AFAIK it doesnt apply to a rented house.

--

Actually I do live in a rented flat (allbeit one with an own front door).

So I think that this probably just applies to HMOs

tim

So, if you're in rented, your cooker ain't legal...

Really? I don't think I've ever seen a gas cooker that'll automatically shut off if the flame goes out or isn't lit (and how do you light it if you can't have gas flowing if it isn't already lit?)

Really? I don't think I've ever seen a gas cooker that'll automatically shut off if the flame goes out or isn't lit (and how do you light it if you can't have gas flowing if it isn't already lit?)

Err... wow. A time-traveller from 1950... :blink:

TBH, this was the first cooker I've seen in a while that didn't have FPS. Normally you have to push the tap in to get a gas-flow when the gas is unlit. Once lit (generally via a sparker), the heat activates a thermostat which means you can then release the tap. Should the gas go out, the thermostat cools down and the gas shuts off.

Hi,

• The gas on the hob burners does not shut off if the flame goes out or is not lit (i.e. no thermostat)

• The gas on the hobs doesn't shut off if the glass cover is lowered over them

Assuming, one way or another, we persuade the LL to replace, would it be odd to volunteer to chip in some money to get a better replacement than the LL would otherwise provide? He seems a decent enough bloke, but he's only had students and/or lads in this place before, and seems slightly thrown by the idea that someone might actually want to cook something other than pot-noodles...

This is the hob not the oven, right? Needs a gas safety certificate once a year: http://www.hse.gov.uk/gas/domestic/faqlandlord.htm#faq2

Ask for it immediately.

PS I tried to get my oven replaced, and they replaced the hob instead due to safety issues. Spoke to the guy fitting it and he said the easiest way to get the oven replaced is to crack the glass.

This is the hob not the oven, right? Needs a gas safety certificate once a year: http://www.hse.gov.uk/gas/domestic/faqlandlord.htm#faq2

Ask for it immediately.

PS I tried to get my oven replaced, and they replaced the hob instead due to safety issues. Spoke to the guy fitting it and he said the easiest way to get the oven replaced is to crack the glass.

I would have thought that was the easiest way to be given the bill for having the oven replaced

tim

Err... wow. A time-traveller from 1950... :blink:

TBH, this was the first cooker I've seen in a while that didn't have FPS. Normally you have to push the tap in to get a gas-flow when the gas is unlit. Once lit (generally via a sparker), the heat activates a thermostat which means you can then release the tap. Should the gas go out, the thermostat cools down and the gas shuts off.

Well, I don't know what happens if the fire goes out whilst the gas is running (I've never tried it), but there you go - you said it yourself, you can turn it on and have the gas running without it being lit. Does the flow go off if you let go before it lights? Maybe it does after all; admittedly I've never really thought about it.

Well, I don't know what happens if the fire goes out whilst the gas is running (I've never tried it), but there you go - you said it yourself, you can turn it on and have the gas running without it being lit. Does the flow go off if you let go before it lights? Maybe it does after all; admittedly I've never really thought about it.

Yes - the gas flow cuts out if you stop pressing the tap in before it's lit.

BTW a new cooker is sitting in the dining room waiting to be attached to the gas. Funnily enough (given what another poster said, and not my doing, honest), one of the glass panels came loose and cracked...

It really was a terrible, terrible oven and our landlord seems like a nice bloke (five properties iirc, and he manages them full time).

It really was a terrible, terrible oven and our landlord seems like a nice bloke (five properties iirc, and he manages them full time).

Moral: don't assume the worst until you've at least tried asking nicely :)