House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Frank Hovis

Got A Full Petrol Tank?

I even have a full jerry can in the boot, mainly because I can't be arsed to keep going to the garage. But suddenly I'm very pleased to have gone this morning.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1345435/Red-Len-plots-petrol-strike-militant-fuel-tanker-drivers-cripple-UK.html

Militant fuel tanker drivers are threatening a national strike which could bring the country to a standstill.

Walkouts by 3,000 drivers, which union bosses are due to confirm this week, will bring fresh misery to Britain’s 36 million motorists, already hit by VAT and fuel tax hikes.

So not about high fuel prices as would be expected. Panic buy now!

I probably have 100 Litres stored in two cars! Will keep motorbike running for a bit, although not really the right weather for it!

What is the strike about then, or has that detail been missed from the "news"?

I probably have 100 Litres stored in two cars! Will keep motorbike running for a bit, although not really the right weather for it!

What is the strike about then, or has that detail been missed from the "news"?

Pay and conditions Mr Pin.

I didn't copy the whole story as the HTML not working makes lots of text unreadable.

I do quite like a mini-crisis though, the snow was fun. It gives colour to the week.

Pay and conditions Mr Pin.

I do quite like a mini-crisis though, the snow was fun. It gives colour to the week.

Fair enough then! I'm sure you and Harry can tell us all a lot about trucking! ;);)

im off on monday for 2 weeks, in my work i drive and drive, i dont head 3 mile to the shops. i have a 90ltr tank in my vauxhall vivaro, it gets good mileage for a van, infact i bought it for this reason, the best mpg in its class. Still it will now cost 120 pounds to fill, i will fill it 3 times before i get home and have a half a tank left. its my biggest expense, i cant take the expense much more my costs have got to go up.

its gonna be real shit telling my customers when they are all in the main buisnesses's struggling im raising the costs 10%, so for all the smart asses on here that think its great and everyone will and can use cycles go back to your caves. I have to transport 60 tonnes a month to buisnesses via 2 artic loads and its 150 pounds per load extra this week, that is eating my profits more, its kinda i will take half the hit you take the other half kinda thing. and dont tell me i can just charge more we are all suffering together.

Hmm looks as though I'll have to fill my Citroen up again. A fill up lasts me 2/3 months usually, unless I go to London of course. Really wonder if its worth me owning a car, but good for making random visits to the Yorkshire Dales.

From the link

"The dispute, which could begin next month, centres on demands by Mr McCluskey and his union for Seventies-style national collective bargaining with oil firms, distributors and contractors, who currently negotiate individually and do not pay drivers – who earn up to £40,000 – an agreed national rate"

mmmmm......

I think the govenrment will reduce fuel duty. Not to please consumers so much more to stay the right side of the laffer curve. If high fuel prices actually stop people from using as much fuel then tax revenues will drop. So the government might drop fuel duty to encourage more people to drive and keep up revenue from fuel. They can spin this by saying they're listening to hard pressed consumers and businesses although really they're trying to keep up the revenues.

Be careful storing fuel, I know someone who's garage exploded. It took 5 hours for 2 fire engines to put the flames out.

I think the govenrment will reduce fuel duty. Not to please consumers so much more to stay the right side of the laffer curve. If high fuel prices actually stop people from using as much fuel then tax revenues will drop. So the government might drop fuel duty to encourage more people to drive and keep up revenue from fuel. They can spin this by saying they're listening to hard pressed consumers and businesses although really they're trying to keep up the revenues.

As fuel prices go up and up and up, there is one thing that is clear. Consumers love their cars - they'll complain, but they still prefer to pay the price than lose the car.

Government won't be able to force petrol stations to reduce their prices though, they might reduce it a bit but would they drop it by the full drop in fuel duty when they could take the extra profit for themselves? I don't think it'd happen - see domestic gas and electric suppliers for a demonstration of how larger profit margins are maintained rather than reducing the cost to the customer.

Government won't be able to force petrol stations to reduce their prices though, they might reduce it a bit but would they drop it by the full drop in fuel duty when they could take the extra profit for themselves? I don't think it'd happen - see domestic gas and electric suppliers for a demonstration of how larger profit margins are maintained rather than reducing the cost to the customer.

I think it depends how much spin the government were to put on it. At the moment fuel duty is 58.95p per litre. The VAT on the fuel duty is 11.79p, that's 70.74p before the cost of the petrol and the VAT on the cost of the petrol.

If the government were to reduce the fuel duty to 56p, then the cost of the duty + VAT would fall to 67.2p from the current 70.74p. The government could then announce loudly that they've cut the tax on petrol by 3p and that retailers should be passing this on. Although most retailers won't want to pass it on, I think the supermarkets would and so the rest would have to follow.

Be careful storing fuel, I know someone who's garage exploded. It took 5 hours for 2 fire engines to put the flames out.

Ditto, I also thinks it's illegal to store over 5 liters, so I'm not sure you'll be insured. Also petrol goes 'off' over time, so if you are going to do this make sure you rotate your stock regularly.

Ditto, I also thinks it's illegal to store over 5 liters, so I'm not sure you'll be insured. Also petrol goes 'off' over time, so if you are going to do this make sure you rotate your stock regularly.

Diesel shouldn't be a problem though - it's essentially the same stuff as home heating oil (slight differences, don't just stick 28sec kerosene in a car) so you can safely store it in a tank designed for such. Don't know about the legalities but you'd be very unlucky to get caught even if it was illegal.

Plus, diesel takes a long time to go 'off' ... I had 40L stored in a couple of 20L 'emergency home heating oil' containers for about a year (filled them just before a fuel tanker delivery strike as a contingency) and used it in my car with no problems.

Given that you can no doubt save a few pennies by buying in bulk, if you had the space then installing an up to 3000L home heating oil tank in your yard and buying in road diesel from a wholesaler to fill it would make a lot of sense. The price is really only going to go one way in the longer term and you would be 100% safe from strikes.

Given that you can no doubt save a few pennies by buying in bulk, if you had the space then installing an up to 3000L home heating oil tank in your yard and buying in road diesel from a wholesaler to fill it would make a lot of sense. The price is really only going to go one way in the longer term and you would be 100% safe from strikes.

But not from pikeys ;)

im off on monday for 2 weeks, in my work i drive and drive, i dont head 3 mile to the shops. i have a 90ltr tank in my vauxhall vivaro, it gets good mileage for a van, infact i bought it for this reason, the best mpg in its class. Still it will now cost 120 pounds to fill, i will fill it 3 times before i get home and have a half a tank left. its my biggest expense, i cant take the expense much more my costs have got to go up.

its gonna be real shit telling my customers when they are all in the main buisnesses's struggling im raising the costs 10%, so for all the smart asses on here that think its great and everyone will and can use cycles go back to your caves. I have to transport 60 tonnes a month to buisnesses via 2 artic loads and its 150 pounds per load extra this week, that is eating my profits more, its kinda i will take half the hit you take the other half kinda thing. and dont tell me i can just charge more we are all suffering together.

Not surprised others have turned a blind eye to this post. Sorry to hear it :(

Reminds me of this story.

"Telegraph, 12 Sept 2000: Panic as the pumps run dry

"A TAXI driver who tried to beat the fuel crisis by storing petrol in a wheelie-bin at home was given a suspended prison sentence yesterday. Saquib Bashir, 28, caused a major alert, leading to the evacuation of 60 neighbouring properties and a £100,000 clean-up bill when fuel melted the bottom of the plastic bin and leaked into the cellar of his terraced house.

"At Derby Crown Court, Bashir admitted storing petrol without a licence and in non-metal containers. He was sentenced to eight months' imprisonment, suspended for two years, and ordered to pay £1,000 costs. Bashir had stockpiled 90 litres of fuel in a wheelie-bin, a beer barrel and a cooking-oil container at his home in Normanton, Derby. Later he told trading standards officers that he had no idea that petrol was so flammable."

....Plus, diesel takes a long time to go 'off' ... ..

Pump diesel now is IIRC 7% bio. This is slowly being ratcheted up to cut down on CO2 (I don't know if it does but the palm oil companies have given enough brown paper envelopes to someone that we now do it anyway).

The vegetable oil content can and does go "off".

If you wanted for some reason to store a sizeable quantity you do need to get a biocide to stop this happening. Its an issue for farmers who use seasonal equipment like combines then lay the vehicle up for months on end. The upside of that is most farm supplies companies can get you the bug buster.

You can keep about 20-30 litres at home there abouts as long as they are in suitable containers like fuel tanks! I have a couple of jerry cans a twenty and a ten.

The thing is if you want to keep it more than 2 months you have to stabilise the petrol with something which ain't cheap! £5 for a bottle which can treat a typical car tank. Which defeats the point of stockpiling. As time goes by petrol is worse and worse quality which means it separates pretty quickly. I had some 9 month old petrol in a can about 2 litres (used for a camping stove) and poured it out it left a nasty residue all over the concrete slab much stickier than normal petrol burn marks.

If you run an LPG car, and also have your home boiler on LPG, is it possible to sink say a 3000ltr vessel in your garden (which you need for your boiler) and in addition to this, also have a hose from it to fill the car too?

Then you could buy in bulk (and also only pay 5% VAT as technically it was heating oil) at the mo LPG is about 55p ltr, (exVAT) so plus VAT and minus a healthy bulk discount, you could be looking in the region of 50-55p a litre... or roughly 1/3rd of the current price (or price it will be in 6 months anyway!)

Is there something i'm missing? If not, why aren't a lot of people doing this?

Except that would be VAT fraud.

I suppose very similar to how agricultural diesel is often mixed with a dye and used on road cars.

Also on your V5C you have to declare it on section 7. If you run your house on LPG and your car on LPG the tax man would be suspicious and point fingers putting the burden of proof onto you you ain't committing fraud.