House Price Crash Forum
numpty

Could You Live On £1 A Day?

£1 a day for food, drink and entertainment?

Yes, easily. But for a very limited period, say two weeks as a challenge.

Obviously no chance if you include commuting, renting, utility bills, council tax.

i quote from the movie crocodile dundee

Michael J. "Crocodile" Dundee: [a goanna is sizzling over a fire. Sue looks ill] How do you like your goanna? Medium? Well done?

Sue Charlton: You don't really expect me to eat that?

Michael J. "Crocodile" Dundee: Yeah, its great. Yeah, try some of these yams, try the grubs and the sugar ants. Just bite the end off, they're really sweet. Black fellas love 'em.

Sue Charlton: [tentatively tries a yam] What about you, aren't you having any?

Michael J. "Crocodile" Dundee: Me?

[Mick starts working on a tin with his knife]

Michael J. "Crocodile" Dundee: ...Well, you can live on it, but it taste like shit.

i quote from the movie crocodile dundee

Michael J. "Crocodile" Dundee: ...Well, you can live on it, but it taste like shit.

:lol: says it all really. on many different levels about waste and consumption.....there is frugality and then there is survival....

As soon as you get your giro, pay your essential bills and blitz the rest on tinned food, else you'll be going hungry.

(Also UHT milk, yeast, flour, eggs and cheap coffee)

All unnecessarily expensive.

Having lived on less than that in the not-so-distant past, I can tell you the cheapest way to live. Economy pasta + pulses: about £2/week for a minimal diet.

Since the budget is more than that we can add some tasty ingredients like onions, mushrooms, chilli to make something fairly tasty.

(yes, I've done it for real. Most of the years 2002/2003 when my savings had run out and I had no income - and was refused the dole because I admitted to trying to do something for myself. It was £1.10-1.15 per week back then, but that's no longer possible 'cos the cheapest pasta has gone from 11p to 41p for 500g).

All these live on £1 a day type things are BS, the woman who lived on £1 a day and wrote a book about it forgot to mention that it was AFTER expenses.

I.e. council tax, mortgage, electricity, gas, petrol, road tax, pension contribs etc. So all these I live for £1 a day is BS. Unless you live in a tent/ditch like that bloke did for a year and was sacked for it. Post expenses £1 a day is easy. All expenses included it is impossible extortion council tax is easily £4-6 a day.

All these live on £1 a day type things are BS, the woman who lived on £1 a day and wrote a book about it forgot to mention that it was AFTER expenses.

I.e. council tax, mortgage, electricity, gas, petrol, road tax, pension contribs etc. So all these I live for £1 a day is BS. Unless you live in a tent/ditch like that bloke did for a year and was sacked for it. Post expenses £1 a day is easy. All expenses included it is impossible extortion council tax is easily £4-6 a day.

I already told you exactly about my experience. Yes, it was after rent and council tax, but before anything else.

Just been checking my emergency food stash. Sainsbury Pork and Bacon Meatballs (I won't eat legumes) Currently 0.29p Contains approx 2100 kcal (enough for a day). Wouldn't want to live on that for long though.

On Facebook some newly unemployed complaining they are only getting £33 per week. Still its good "we are all in this together" and that the Bank(rupt) of England is "vigilant" on inflation.

A friend of mine spent £15K living and traveling in Asia for 6 years, around £7 per day.

I think he roughed it quite a bit though.

I spent some time in India this year and the cheapest place I got (with electricity, running water and clean linen) was £1 a day. With care you could eat fairly well for another £1 a day.

In the UK £1 a day would only be possible if you lived rent-free (eg, in a tent); even then it would be a tough struggle I think. I read an article recently about an elderly lady who wrote books on wild living; she lived rent free in a caravan on Dartmoor; grew or shot all her own food and claimed to only spend £5 a month, which was on shotgun cartridges.

You could live on £1 per day in food.......not if you have to cook it, require to keep yourself warm, need water from the tap and have council tax to pay....even more if you have to travel to the shops to buy the food.....£10 per day would be pushing it, more like £20 per day and growing daily.

The only way to reduce the costs is to share the major bills with others....spread the load so to speak......one home many generations ;)

Just been checking my emergency food stash. Sainsbury Pork and Bacon Meatballs (I won't eat legumes) Currently 0.29p Contains approx 2100 kcal (enough for a day). Wouldn't want to live on that for long though.

On Facebook some newly unemployed complaining they are only getting £33 per week. Still its good "we are all in this together" and that the Bank(rupt) of England is "vigilant" on inflation.

Is it a 4kg tin?

Most day's I spend less than £1 a day on food. I think it's something that people should try to do for a month just so they know how to do it and also so they realize how they waste money. It's a life skill to know you can get by with less. Quite often on this site I see someone complaining about the price of food. well it would have to go up 4 fold before I would start worrying.

Is it a 4kg tin?

yup 392 grams to be precise. Contains a horrendous amount of carbs though for what it is, 48 gram per tin, half of that is sugar, very little fibre,

Edited by Sir John Steed

http://www.livestrong.com/thedailyplate/nutrition-calories/food/sainsburys/meatballs-with-spicy-tomato-sauce-just-cook-range/

Says 246 calories.

You'd need about 10 tins for a day.

About 18 if working at a factory.

http://www.sainsburys.co.uk/groceries/index.jsp?bmUID=1294583923949

Is what I'm referring to. You get by on half a can a day if not particularly active.

(updated:posted wrong link)

Very unhealthy. Contains wheat gluten, (wheat is a bit of a no no for me). But as I say its an emergency stash,

Edited by Sir John Steed

http://www.sainsburys.co.uk/groceries/index.jsp?bmUID=1294583923949

Is what I'm referring to. You get by on half a can a day if not particularly active.

(updated:posted wrong link)

Very unhealthy. Contains wheat gluten, (wheat is a bit of a no no for me). But as I say its an emergency stash,

£0.38/unit£0.97/kg Item code: 6034753

DescriptionPork & Bacon Meatballs in Tomato Sauce

Dietary InformationContains wheat gluten

IngredientsWater, Meatballs (38%) (Pork (13%), Bacon (10%) (Contains Preservative: Sodium Nitrite), Water, Rusk, Potato Starch, Flavourings, Stabiliser: Tri-Di-Polyphosphates, Autolysed Yeast, Sugar), Tomato Puree (12%), Sugar, Vegetable Oil, Modified Maize Starch, Salt, Citric Acid, Onion Powder, Flavouring.

NutritionPer 100g Per 1/2 can % based on GDA for adultEnergy540kJ1057kJ-129kcal253kcal12.7%Protein4.2g8.2g18.2%Carbohydrate12.3g24.1g10.5%Sugars6.0g11.8g13.1%Fat7.0g13.7g19.6%Saturates1.5g2.9g14.5%Fibre0.4g0.8g3.3%Salt0.75g1.47g24.5%Sodium0.30g0.59g24.6%Country of OriginProduced in United Kingdom

Size392gram

PackagingSteel can

ManufacturerSainsbury's Supermarkets Ltd.

You would soon starve to death if only eating half a tin a day.

You would soon starve to death if only eating half a tin a day.

Yes I know its horrendous. Only retained for Mad Max scenario's along with my leather chaps. lol

I read an article recently about an elderly lady who <>claimed to only spend £5 a month, which was on shotgun cartridges.

With the cheapest cartridges about 15p each, she must have had one shot a day and never missed.

]You would soon starve to death if only eating half a tin a day.[/color]

Amatuer!

You can live off tesco value noodles, 355 calories per pack, cost 9p. They have wheat, and various oils you need in the flavoring packet. You can have 6 packs a day and have 2150 calories per day all for 54p.

I know because I've had periods of my life when I lived on them when they were 6p each and were 398 calories per pack.