House Price Crash Forum

Update Please

Yogi

HOLA441

Been a busy bee and not been on the site lately. WHat have I missed... in a nut shell! Over the last few months. Basically my boyfriend and I have been waiting 2 years for prices to drop and are now sick of waiting, we want our own place. People are saying that now is a good time to buy as the market is slow and sellers are accepting silly offers... is this true? opinions please, thanks.

HOLA442
Been a busy bee and not been on the site lately.  WHat have I missed... in a nut shell!  Over the last few months.  Basically my boyfriend and I have been waiting 2 years for prices to drop and are now sick of waiting, we want our own place.  People are saying that now is a good time to buy as the market is slow and sellers are accepting silly offers... is this true?  opinions please, thanks.

It all depends where you are, what you're looking for, etc.

Well, find something you like, and make a silly offer (preferably silly low, not silly high).

/G

HOLA443
Been a busy bee and not been on the site lately.  WHat have I missed... in a nut shell!  Over the last few months.  Basically my boyfriend and I have been waiting 2 years for prices to drop and are now sick of waiting, we want our own place.  People are saying that now is a good time to buy as the market is slow and sellers are accepting silly offers... is this true?  opinions please, thanks.

There has been major developments in the last few months:

-The media has turned bearish.

-People have stopped spending in the shops (well, as much).

-Channel 4 forum has allowed discussion on declining property values (a major turning point).

-IMF warning on massive debt mountain

-inflation jumps to 2.4%

Things are going downhill faster than I thought.

HOLA444

-The media has turned bearish.

-People have stopped spending in the shops (well, as much).

-Channel 4 forum has allowed discussion on declining property values (a major turning point).

-IMF warning on massive debt mountain

-inflation jumps to 2.4%

Prices in Docklands have fallen 15 to 20%.

This is true because it was said on TV.

Welcome to England.

Edited by BandWagon

HOLA445
HOLA446

Anecdotal:

I had lunch with old work colleagues a few weeks ago.

We were just chatting in general, jobs, living etc.

One girl has a friend looking to buy.

She says to me: "Oh apparently people are now just putting in offers 20% below asking price. The prices went up from 2003 to 2004, but now they're just back down to 2003 prices."

Another friend knows someone bought in Clapham in 2003, by 2004 was gloating over his £20k profit.

Has now decided to sell, and guess what?

All the offers he's received are below what he paid in 2003.

He's not a happy camper.

HOLA447
Anecdotal:

Another friend knows someone bought in Clapham in 2003, by 2004 was gloating over his £20k profit.

Has now decided to sell, and guess what?

All the offers he's received are below what he paid in 2003.

He's not a happy camper.

Shame! :lol:

HOLA448
HOLA449
Excellent news then! Thanks!  We are hoping to start looking properly after Christmas so fingers crossed that the situation stays the same or gets worse!

If you can hold on longer, then try to do so, as a HP crash/decline will take a good few years. I know you've already been waiting for 2 years, but the prices only started slowing down late in 2004, so the slowdown has started only a year ago. Now once the house price inflation becomes negative, thats when the fun really starts.

HOLA4410

Yogi : This proccess will take several years to play out like the last crash, things are more likely to drop further over the next few years... A Property crash isnt sudden, perhaps crash is the wrong word, its more like a slide...

Edited by moosetea

HOLA4411

. . .

. . .

I scoff at the suggestion that this is a major turning point. The fraction of the population taking part in these forums is vanishingly low. It may be of interest to a few obssessives like us but no-one else.

I accept that HPC.co.uk may, just may, exercise a very slight influence on overall sentiment. But the editorial policy of the C4 forum? Absolutely and utterly irrelevant.

HOLA4412

I can really relate to your urge to have your own bricks and mortar. I suffer from it too! But I've decide to hold, as I have no dependents and can rent just a room, and I have a more than tolerable housemate to share with. In my case, HPI only has to be about -3 or -4% or so for me to be losing less money by renting (assuming I would buy a place for around 100K) than I would through depreciation of the house value. That's before I even factor in mortgage interest and the interest I'd lose on my savings. And house insurance, care and repair, etc etc

It all depends on how much rent you and boyfy pay, how long you're planning to live in your property when you buy it, and how comfortable a margin you have in the worst case interest rate/illness/unemployment scenario. Definitely a good idea to wait till the New Year to see which way the wind is blowing anyway. Good luck!

HOLA4413

OK, OK, OK jabronis.

Now the Monkey knows that he said he would never post on this joke of a site again but The Monkey does what he damn well pleases, so...

Finally the Monkey has come back to HPC to say that the most electrifying news in house price forums this year is that the Monkey bought a house.

Read it and weep jabroni:

http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/ind...topic=15340&hl=

HOLA4414
OK, OK, OK jabronis.

Now the Monkey knows that he said he would never post on this joke of a site again but The Monkey does what he damn well pleases, so...

Finally the Monkey has come back to HPC to say that the most electrifying news in house price forums this year is that the Monkey bought a house.

Monkey, you've fooled me again with your leaving rituals. Now you are back & my depression is lifted, I realise you were just faking it to get the lawyers off your back who were trying to sue you for calling the many evil ones jabroni's.

HOLA4415
OK, OK, OK jabronis.

So are you a property market bull now?

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
Monkey, you've fooled me again with your leaving rituals. Now you are back & my depression is lifted, I realise you were just faking it to get the lawyers off your back who were trying to sue you for calling the many evil ones jabroni's.

The Monkey's leaving was not a fake ritual - he is as good as gone. The only reason he has had to return temporarily is because the jabronis on this site don't know their roles. They should be adding replies to the Monkey's leaving thread on an hourly basis, saying how sad they are that the Monkey is gone and how they wish they owned property like him.

The Monkey's leaving thread should be kept at the top of the discussion list at all times for at least the next 50 years jabronis! If the Monkey was still a moderator, he'd pin it.

Go here jabronis and tell the Great One how great he is!

Edited by THE MONKEY

HOLA4418

The Monkey spends a massive amount of time and effort crashing into other forums telling people that property will crash - urges daft actions like sticking leaflets though EA doors and then ..... goes and buys a newbuild .... what a jabroni

anyhow good luck in your house im sure your reasons are sound

HOLA4419
The Monkey's leaving was not a fake ritual - he is as good as gone. The only reason he has had to return temporarily is because the jabronis on this site don't know their roles.  They should be adding replies to the Monkey's leaving thread on an hourly basis, saying how sad they are that the Monkey is gone and how they wish they owned property like him. 

The Monkey's leaving thread should be kept at the top of the discussion list at all times for at least the next 50 years jabronis!  If the Monkey was still a moderator, he'd pin it.

http://*************

HOLA4420
The Monkey's leaving was not a fake ritual - he is as good as gone. The only reason he has had to return temporarily is because the jabronis on this site don't know their roles.  They should be adding replies to the Monkey's leaving thread on an hourly basis, saying how sad they are that the Monkey is gone and how they wish they owned property like him. 

The Monkey's leaving thread should be kept at the top of the discussion list at all times for at least the next 50 years jabronis!  If the Monkey was still a moderator, he'd pin it.

DAMN YOU SON, BE GONE FROM THIS SITE, YOU HAVE SHAMED OUR FAMILY BY YOUR STRUDEL AFFILIATION WITH ALSOPP.

Your father, the Monkhouse, has spoken.