House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
The Masked Tulip

A South-East Englishman’S Home Is His Fortune

Property wealth gap widening

The UK’s ballooning property wealth, dented briefly by the recent crash, is concentrated in the south-east, among the over-45s, and in the hands of the rich, according to data that demonstrate how Britain’s love affair with home ownership has favoured some groups but not others.

The wealth of homeowners in the regions continues to be dwarfed by those around London following the decade-long boom that more than doubled the value of the housing market to £4,150bn in 2010.

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/5de50358-1a88-11e0-b100-00144feab49a.html#ixzz1ARP7Ktqt

A property tax is the obvious solution.

One of Vince's better ideas, shot down in flames even by his own (BTLers?) compadres.

Or the BoE could play around with a regional/localised interest rate 'surcharge/subsidy' to help Osborne 'rebalance' away from bankstering in the SE.

Or Piggies might fly......................

Prices are ridiclously high in the southeast because of the demand created by every other bugger in these Islands coming down here to cosy up in the warmth of the Bankster money.

If the wannabe Dick Whittingtons returned whence they came everyone should be happy and maybe us locals wouldnt be priced out.

Prices are ridiclously high in the southeast because of the demand created by every other bugger in these Islands coming down here to cosy up in the warmth of the Bankster money.

If the wannabe Dick Whittingtons returned whence they came everyone should be happy and maybe us locals wouldnt be priced out.

It's all those rich northerners causing the problems then. Ok.

The SE is generally speaking a complete shithole. It's the hollowest of victories.

All the evidence would suggest otherwise. People from all over the world aspire to live in London and the Home Counties. I'm North London born and bred, I rarely venture up North. Quite frankly there is nothing there I can't get round the corner here and the weather is shite.

Worst aspects of SE? Cost of living (including HP) and the "multiculturalism".

The SE is generally speaking a complete shithole. It's the hollowest of victories.

All the evidence would suggest otherwise. People from all over the world aspire to live in London and the Home Counties. I'm North London born and bred, I rarely venture up North. Quite frankly there is nothing there I can't get round the corner here and the weather is shite.

Worst aspects of SE? Cost of living (including HP) and the "multiculturalism".

Worst aspects? Dirty, polluted, crowded, crime-ridden, expensive with some of the most deprived areas in the UK. It's a shithole unless you are one of perhaps 10-20% of the SE population who get to live in a genuinely leafy and safe area. There are many better areas of the UK. Many.

And I type all this looking out my window with a beautiful view towards the peak district, a solid private sector job, no debt, hardly any mortgage and safe in the knowledge I have a fabulous place to bring up my kids. You can stick the SE up your jacksy, back with all the other crap. :)

All that lovely money built up in all those piles of bricks, what will we do, inflate and lock in the profits or deflate and take the hit?

I think we all know the answer to that. Don't we readers?

"All the evidence would suggest otherwise."

really? ALL the evidence?

People from all over the world aspire to live in London and the Home Counties.

I'm North London born and bred, I rarely venture up North. Quite frankly there is nothing there I can't get round the corner here and the weather is shite.

(I would go down to the SE for better work but I miss the countryside in the regions and I find many people in the SE (tho not necessarily Londoners who seem cool) have this air of opinionation and superior-ness, freakin' irritating)

North-York-Moors-Park-420x0.jpg

yorkshire-dales.jpg

I think we all know the answer to that. Don't we readers?

inflate = deflate as far as housing wealth goes, gonna tank irrespective

really? ALL the evidence?

(I would go down to the SE for better work but I miss the countryside in the regions and I find many people in the SE (tho not necessarily Londoners who seem cool) have this air of opinionation and superior-ness, freakin' irritating)

North-York-Moors-Park-420x0.jpg

yorkshire-dales.jpg

The countryside up here in the North is truly wonderful. With high speed broadband I'd have thought the North/South divide would diminish.

Methinks the Northerners doth protest too much.

Down south - more money, better jobs, better weather, better and easier transport links to rest of world, better restaurants, more theatres, galleries, cultural pursuits. As for the "countryside" don't spend much time there myself but the Home counties are renowned for the lovely "green belt". Kent being "the garden of England" etc.

House prices are more expensive down south for a reason

Methinks the Northerners doth protest too much.

Down south - more money, better jobs, better weather, better and easier transport links to rest of world, better restaurants, more theatres, galleries, cultural pursuits. As for the "countryside" don't spend much time there myself but the Home counties are renowned for the lovely "green belt". Kent being "the garden of England" etc.

Garden of England is sh*te compared to the national parks in the regions, made more sh*te by the horrendous people, sorry but it has very little to commend it and little public space

everything else is correct - cultural life in the north is definitely less varied than in London, but I would hazard that Bridgewater Hall is more accessible (both commutable andf affordable) to more in the North West, or Birmingham Symphony Hall to the midlands, than the South Bank is to most in the South East, and has comparable international orchestras visiting if not quite the standard of residential artistes

House prices are more expensive down south for a reason

the jobs. and only the jobs.

Edited by Si1

Worst aspects? Dirty, polluted, crowded, crime-ridden, expensive with some of the most deprived areas in the UK. It's a shithole unless you are one of perhaps 10-20% of the SE population who get to live in a genuinely leafy and safe area. There are many better areas of the UK. Many.

And I type all this looking out my window with a beautiful view towards the peak district, a solid private sector job, no debt, hardly any mortgage and safe in the knowledge I have a fabulous place to bring up my kids. You can stick the SE up your jacksy, back with all the other crap. :)

....this is a perfect summary...... :rolleyes:

If the north is so great why do the singes velus du nord spend so much time slagging off the sarf rather than enjoying God's own paradise, into which it seems they have been plonked?

Here's one about a traffic jam in the rain on a motor way up north. Something that is dear to my heart so long as I am headed sarf.

I never had too much trouble with the weather up north.

It was always the spiessig, or to be more literal the, "kleiner gesonnener Provinzialismus," of the people that wore me down.

Nasty, cheap basterds, beset with some delusion they had some northern warmth of friendliness .... much worse than the weather.

(Not all of course. Wouldn't want to generalise excessively of course but maybe just a certain number; more than a few; perhaps more often than seldom.)

Edited by indirectapproach

If the north is so great why do the singes velus du nord spend so much time slagging off the sarf rather than enjoying God's own paradise, into which it seems they have been plonked?

Here's one about a traffic jam in the rain on a motor way up north. Something that is dear to my heart so long as I am headed sarf.

I never had too much trouble with the weather up north.

It was always the spiessig, or to be more literal the, "kleiner gesonnener Provinzialismus," of the people that wore me down.

Nasty, cheap basterds, beset with some delusion they had some northern warmth of friendliness .... much worse than the weather.

...do you have a Scots/English translation....?.... :unsure:

Guest The Relaxation Suite

This is just proximity to London. That's it. There is nothing inherently greater about the SE. In fact the recent phenomenon of "white flight" from London to the home counties is one reason for this, as people flee the city to give their children a better chance in life. This is an old game in the US where middle-class whites have been pouring out of the cities for decades. You only have to look at the demographic surveys over the years to see this fact. Of great interest to me is that "white flight" now includes newly wealthy Hispanics who are leaving the SW and moving to centeal and northern states. As the UK is the US but a few years behind, I predict confidently a large increase in well-off ethnic minorities moving into the shires, which if we're being honest aere still astonishingly white.