House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Si1

'and I Believe If You Can Afford It Then Buy Now. In Time, You Will Be Happy You Were Bold Yet Prudent.’

Why 2011 is a great year to buy property

Read more: http://www.metro.co.uk/money/852110-why-2011-is-a-great-year-to-buy-property#ixzz1APQiPssW

'This year is a superb time to buy property,' says James Max, semi-finalist on The Apprentice in 2005 and an expert on all things bricks and mortar. 'The market is faltering and uncertain but it means people have more time to do their research and negotiate on the price rather than being forced into going over budget.'There are difficult times ahead, particularly for first-time buyers or in areas where unemployment is high. But the economy is stronger than some people would like to admit and lenders are gearing up to return to normalised lending.

'The success of your investment will depend on whether you research properly. There is no such thing as a risk-free investment but you can mitigate risk by ensuring you can afford what you are about to embark on. And I believe if you can afford it then buy now. In time, you will be happy you were bold yet prudent.'

Edited by Si1

Is this the "international property developer" candidate? When they examined his CV it seems his business came undone during the recession for which he blamed his business partner. One wonders if Lord Sugar is underwater too, being invested in London commercial property.

Update: Ignore I'm thinking of 2010 Apprentice finalist (has that rubbish really been going that long? I'm getting old.)

Edited by Sir John Steed

An expert in all things bricks and mortar would be a builder, and therefor have a decent trade. Thus guy probably struggles putting a shelf up. What a grade A foolish twit.

I was thinking I might buy a place this year, but that put me right off! :huh:

I was thinking I might buy a place this year, but that put me right off! :huh:

+1

I'm starting to think that there must be adverts in shop windows in places where I don't go (maybe London) asking for any property VI to step forward and do some ramping for the media. Maybe they get free orange juice and a little commemorative badge for doing it.

+1

Maybe they get free orange juice and a little commemorative badge for doing it.

I sold my old house in 2007! I've moved around a lot in those years and buying didn't make sense!

Now I would like to buy, I'm still rather annoyed about how much I would have to borrow for a hovel!

This "crash" is much slower than many of us predicted! :huh:

I'll give it a year or two, if I still have a job! :blink:

Edited by MrPin

Talking about VI signs;

F*xes & sons, put up a big sign in their Gosport branch - "rents are rising" as if that is good thing.

Talking about VI signs;

F*xes & sons, put up a big sign in their Gosport branch - "rents are rising" as if that is good thing.

The same thing was on the news the other day "Rents Are Rising", It made me a bit cross because I realised they are resorting to this because they can't say "Prices Are Rising". It's a deliberate strategy to flush out the last desperate fools to buy before the whole thing collapses. The logic is that whether you rent or you buy you are f***ed either way, so you;d better buy, at least you get to choose the colour of your front door.

Cynical bastards. :angry: :angry: :angry:

I told him in 2007 about the impending crash. He rejected the notion flat.

He would only be right if you negotiate a 25%-30% reduction from asking price. Not many vendors taking off more than 10% at present. When they finally do, that is when the market will gradually change and normalise. The banks are not 'normal' atall! Some are still basket cases and others raking in unfair margins against stupidly low BoE base rate. Still, what do I know?

Talking about VI signs;

That's disgusting! :o

Can you get a photo? If so, we can bombard them with complaints and report them to the Estate Agent regulators

Pardon? There isn't a regulator?

And I believe if you can afford it then buy now. In time, you will be happy you were bold yet prudent

That's exactly the point. Nobody can afford it at current prices.

‘This year is a superb time to buy property,’ says James Max, semi-finalist on The Apprentice in 2005 and an expert on all things bricks and mortar. ‘The market is faltering and uncertain but it means people have more time to do their research and negotiate on the price rather than being forced into going over budget.

‘There are difficult times ahead, particularly for first-time buyers or in areas where unemployment is high. But the economy is stronger than some people would like to admit and lenders are gearing up to return to normalised lending.

‘The success of your investment will depend on whether you research properly. There is no such thing as a risk-free investment but you can mitigate risk by ensuring you can afford what you are about to embark on. And I believe if you can afford it then buy now. In time, you will be happy you were bold yet prudent.

Read more: http://www.metro.co.uk/money/852110-why-2011-is-a-great-year-to-buy-property#ixzz1AS5REjAj

Well that just about covers every base possible - and a true exponent of "a long-term investment is a short-term trade gone wrong"

Edited by billybong

this guy is frequently on LBC nad Talksport. Along with Henk Potts, i can think of no other financial talking heads that annoy me more.

Straight for the off button whenever i hear either of em.

EDIT

Add Blanchflower to that list. Pure filth.

Edited by shindigger

Why 2011 is a great year to buy property

"people have more time to do their research and negotiate on the price rather than being forced into going over budget."

Another gem. Only in the UK bubble madness would people normally rush to make the biggest purchase of their lives without research, or a budget...

Another gem. Only in the UK bubble madness would people normally rush to make the biggest purchase of their lives without research, or a budget...

"people have more time to do their research and negotiate on the price rather than being forced into going over budget."

Probably about 10 years.

Talking about VI signs;

Yeah, if that was my town, I'd be tempted to go in, look around for a bit, and when they came over, I'd explain that I'd prefer to come back when they've got a sale on. Seriously though, what are they trying to panic renters into moving? Dirty fockers.

James Max is big into his BTL's, he also has a big mortgage on his primary residence, as he has alluded to on his radio show

He had a phone in the other night with some London EA who's opening monologue was basically "people should rent like they do in Europe, we need to change our mentality", he was obviously a boomer with a VI

I was furious and emailed the show, a lengthy, meandering rant, but fair do's to James, he read the whole thing out.

I said that the guest should immediately disclose his interests in the property market, because saying that everyone should rent sounded like someone who had multiple houses and wanted to pull the drawbridge up, wanted prices to stay high, and wanted the rest of us to rent off him and his ilk.

I said there's a simple reason we don't like renting like our European cousins, UK rental law and the AST. I said sure, lets adopt the European model and give us secured tenancies. What do you think that will do for prices?

He then mumbled a response about, well yes that would have a negative effect on prices, but I just want us to go back to a time when people considered their houses as homes and not properties.

Another VI busted in front of a few hundred thousand Londoners B)

It's available as a podcast on the LBC site, but it looks as though they expect you to pay a subscription :lol:

James Max is big into his BTL's, he also has a big mortgage on his primary residence, as he has alluded to on his radio show

He had a phone in the other night with some London EA who's opening monologue was basically "people should rent like they do in Europe, we need to change our mentality", he was obviously a boomer with a VI

I was furious and emailed the show, a lengthy, meandering rant, but fair do's to James, he read the whole thing out.

I said that the guest should immediately disclose his interests in the property market, because saying that everyone should rent sounded like someone who had multiple houses and wanted to pull the drawbridge up, wanted prices to stay high, and wanted the rest of us to rent off him and his ilk.

I said there's a simple reason we don't like renting like our European cousins, UK rental law and the AST. I said sure, lets adopt the European model and give us secured tenancies. What do you think that will do for prices?

He then mumbled a response about, well yes that would have a negative effect on prices, but I just want us to go back to a time when people considered their houses as homes and not properties.

Another VI busted in front of a few hundred thousand Londoners B)

It's available as a podcast on the LBC site, but it looks as though they expect you to pay a subscription :lol:

Nice work! :lol: