House Price Crash Forum
juvenal

800 Applicants For 85 Tesco Jobs

For all I know this could be very relevant but in general I've never been a fan of statistics like applicant:jobs ratios and and number of vacancies.

There are always vacancies in companies who want some task completed at some level of quality for a particular price. They don't all conclude with employment for all sorts of obvious reasons.

I keep hearing folk on TV referring to "the recovery".

How on earth is a "recovery" measured? What criteria need to be met?

Every indicator that I can personally judge tells me that 2011 and beyond is going to be tough.

I can't see even one tiny hint of an upturn.

For all I know this could be very relevant but in general I've never been a fan of statistics like applicant:jobs ratios and and number of vacancies.

There are always vacancies in companies who want some task completed at some level of quality for a particular price. They don't all conclude with employment for all sorts of obvious reasons.

We have so many applicants for basic minimum wage type jobs at our place we had to de-spec the application forms we give out in branches because the printing costs were starting to become a serious cost.

The common refrain of the newly redundant will be 'I can always get a job stacking supermarket shelves'. Probably not, TBH.

We have so many applicants for basic minimum wage type jobs at our place we had to de-spec the application forms we give out in branches because the printing costs were starting to become a serious cost.

The common refrain of the newly redundant will be 'I can always get a job stacking supermarket shelves'. Probably not, TBH.

Just to think we were threatened with that when I was at school if we mucked about

" you will end up stacking the shelves in a supermarket " or

" you will sweep the streets "

Edited by miko

You don't miss or value something until it is gone. And that, is the quality jobs in the UK. I suspect, anyone who can get a job in Tesco today, is very lucky.

---

I always thought about the meaning why Michael Palin in the scene, where Brian (In the Life of Brian) is thrown in the Dungeon, and describes how he would love to be in manacles and spat on in the face. They'd hung him upside down and beat him daily for five years, and only turned him up the right way yesterday. Being in manacles and spat on, doesn't sound so bad now!

ben.jpg

"You lucky, lucky b**tard"

Edited by Money Spinner

Most jobs at Tesco Metro are likely to be 'starter' type jobs or part time, the kind of jobs students might be interested in. A 10:1 applicant ratio isn't particularly high.

Interesting, I thought this would all be done electronically now. Any reason why it isn't? Just curious...

You could make applications internet only, and a bot sorts them, giving you 10 candidates to interview from 100+.

Basic tests are done online also.

The whole process automated.

---

Not so good for those without internet or can't use a computer!

The new world will be brutal.

Edited by Money Spinner

Remember a supermarket in aus had a line 400 people for a small amount supermarket jobs in early 90s downturn ....this is nothing....

Most jobs at Tesco Metro are likely to be 'starter' type jobs or part time, the kind of jobs students might be interested in. A 10:1 applicant ratio isn't particularly high.

Don't forget that these are the sorts of jobs that unemployed people frequently apply for (as opposed to job movers, I mean) and that, to keep the job centre happy they need to be seen to be applying (even if it's only to collect rejection letters). I know someone who often applies for such jobs, making themselves sound as un-hireable as possible just so then get knocked back. A sad waste of everyone's time. :angry:

The madness of recruiting in recessions!

Worse personal experience I had was taking an "aptitude test" with over 150 others for one of three IT support jobs, in 1993!

Quite rightly, this company ceased trading within a year! :huh:

I went for a job (CAD Technician) found out later there were 500 applicants. I was in the last 5, then they pulled the job. Now that is supply and demand!

I now work in something totally unrelated with a view to retrain in something that ... pays. Though in this environment it maybe a touch of self employment even if I split current job to part time.

Tesco have launched a Facebook page about new tesco in Huddersfield to create 300 jobs. Of course in order to comment you have to "like" the page, which Tesco regards as approval for its project, to demolish the sports centre, two 1960's blocks of flats and build a huge new store. I've argued that it will help destroy what's left of the town centre, and will only take trade away from existing smaller retailers, and due to automation this number of vacancies won't materialise. However I'm fighting a loosing battle. Just let them build the damn thing.

Tesco is our god.

We make a pilgrimage once a week to a Tesco Cathedral and pay homage into their self service automtated collection boxes.

Every little helps, amen.

Tesco is our god.

Tesco is a false God!

Argos is the one true faith! :huh:

I've no idea what is 'normal' for job applications but 10 applicants per job doesn't seem a lot to me.

The police which is renowned as being a large 'attracting employer' has about 7 applicants for every job.

Tescos largely only guarentee 14 hours a week minimum, it smacks of desperation in the local jobs market im affraid.

"When it transpired that the first branch of Cadbury Cocoa House would be opening the day before the Government spending review we contacted the media to position the company as a good news story in the midst of economic doom. With 100 new jobs being created on the high street... Cadbury Cocoa House was stunned to attract over 2,000 applications, of which a third were from graduates".

I keep hearing folk on TV referring to "the recovery".

How on earth is a "recovery" measured? What criteria need to be met?

Every indicator that I can personally judge tells me that 2011 and beyond is going to be tough.

I can't see even one tiny hint of an upturn.

Only very large Co's involved with exports are recovering. In the longer term that will be just what is needed. For now, because of our unblanaced economy, it will mena pain for most and the appearance of no improvement or worse, with falling real or actual incomes.

anecdotal, but i am told that a recent job advertised in admin at Manchester University (grade II so around £14k p.a.) had 500 applicants, many of them graduates

mind you try and recruit a professor in engineering on £60k+ p.a. and you won't get any remotely appointable applicants...