House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Trampa501

How Would You Save Hmv?

I would go there and buy loads of music except that I haven't got a job right now so I have cut back on that sort of thing.

Apologies to their staff, it must be awful getting laid off work right now but it's the same as I tell the Big Issue seller, I haven't got any spare change at the mo.

It seems like a lost cause....

First lower salaries and bonuses of execs, etc.

HMV should go for quality not quantity. HIgh street shops should lure customer by the whole shopping experience (John Lewis, Waitrose, etc.)

At the moment their shops look like discount supermarkets in which someone forgot to switch the lights on.

First lower salaries and bonuses of execs, etc.

HMV should go for quality not quantity. HIgh street shops should lure customer by the whole shopping experience (John Lewis, Waitrose, etc.)

At the moment their shops look like discount supermarkets in which someone forgot to switch the lights on.

their model is out dated. They need to compete with online retailers but have no hope of selling at amazon prices whilst paying their staff/rents/rates.

Couple that with the altering trend in music purchasing eg people now download for pence exactly what songs they want rather than paying a fortune for an album full of crap and 2 desired songs.

They are dead in the water, all that has happened is that their xmas figures have made it blatantly obvious to anyone who had not figured it out or had their eyes closed and fingers crossed.

I emailed them (quite) a few years ago as MP3's were getting popular to say they should create docking stations in-store where people can download music straight to their Ipods / Phones etc... use pre-pay card accounts to access the feeds.

What are people getting here that they can't get at home ? Well, maybe create some kind of social meeting point etc (obviously you need to encourage them (teenagers) to spend money or bugger off elsewhere - that could be the difficult part!) This was before Itunes took off where your preferences could be stored and suggestions made.

I never got a reply - thought it was a pretty good idea myself

Hmv are toast and its a real shame. The demise of woolies gave them a short extension on the high street . i used to compare prices in both shops which were close to each other. Woolies were usually cheaper. Games will be the next to suffer.

Browsing on the net is not as much fun as browsing in a shop.

what?

i have to drive to town, take out a second mortgage to park, wonder around a jumble sale of a shop to find what I want, have to deal with a spotty hippy behind the counter, hand over what the dvd/music is worth and then lots more for the privilege of the hassle before having to drive home.

or, order exactly what I want in 30 seconds on my laptop while sat on the couch with a cold beer.

no contest. Hmv is toast.

Hmv are toast and its a real shame. The demise of woolies gave them a short extension on the high street . i used to compare prices in both shops which were close to each other. Woolies were usually cheaper. Games will be the next to suffer.

It's nice to letch over some young things pert t*ts whilst being served.

what?

i have to drive to town, take out a second mortgage to park, wonder around a jumble sale of a shop to find what I want, have to deal with a spotty hippy behind the counter, hand over what the dvd/music is worth and then lots more for the privilege of the hassle before having to drive home.

or, order exactly what I want in 30 seconds on my laptop while sat on the couch with a cold beer.

If highstreet shopping was as cost effective as online shopping, most people would still do it.

Easy one this.

I would use a time machine to travel back to 1993, and would start an online CD and book website.

I think the name "nile.com" has a nice ring to it!

If only......

what?

But you can;t shoplift on the net

Trust me, running High St shops is a lot less fun than running an Internet mail order distribution warehouse.

I emailed them (quite) a few years ago as MP3's were getting popular to say they should create docking stations in-store where people can download music straight to their Ipods / Phones etc... use pre-pay card accounts to access the feeds.

What are people getting here that they can't get at home ? Well, maybe create some kind of social meeting point etc (obviously you need to encourage them (teenagers) to spend money or bugger off elsewhere - that could be the difficult part!) This was before Itunes took off where your preferences could be stored and suggestions made.

I never got a reply - thought it was a pretty good idea myself

If they did a legal tie-in deal with Napster back in what? '99, that would have been interesting......

Do a deal with big record companies that music is to be supplied only through HMV.

---

Failing that, buy up bridges and put tolls on them.

But you can;t shoplift on the net

What internet are you using because on my internet there is 'free' stuff everywhere! TBH, I either buy CDs (better quality and something pysical) or download it for free of a torrent, there is no-way in hell i'm going to pay for an MP3

Ideas - They've got rid of listening stations, which I used to use every now and then. Maybe they could make it a more fun experiance?

Now, here is a question, If HMV were to go bust, would it be cheaper for the government to cover the shops losses and keep the chain running or pay benefits to all of the redundant staff?

What internet are you using because on my internet there is 'free' stuff everywhere! TBH, I either buy CDs (better quality and something pysical) or download it for free of a torrent, there is no-way in hell i'm going to pay for an MP3

Ideas - They've got rid of listening stations, which I used to use every now and then. Maybe they could make it a more fun experiance?

Now, here is a question, If HMV were to go bust, would it be cheaper for the government to cover the shops losses and keep the chain running or pay benefits to all of the redundant staff?

people who lose their jobs tend to find new ones and come off benefits.

keeping a dead firm alive can go on forever, as there is no management incentive to improve...

I feel sorry for the poor dog spining now at 150RPM rather than a stately 33.3

HMV had their chance and they blew it, their first digital store was shockingly poor. It is just too late to regain market share and position the brand to a new generation.

I know what I would do were I tasked with a rescue, but I will save it for my next employer!

I thought the same thing. Get local bands to play live in the bigger stores every. I'd definitely go and check it out.

When and where Bolton?

You wont recognise me! I'll be the bloke in the back with a pink suit and powdered wig!

Demand for physical media is falling. They are doomed.

I've been to game twice this year and the queue has been out of the door both times. I don't think they are doomed.

a shop that allows you to enter, listen, and download the best of the best.......instead of racks of cds they should of had facilities where you could listen to cool music and download on your own ipod, blackberry or whatever for a couple of quid.....and while you were listening all sorts of offers could be made to you. ;)