House Price Crash Forum
Caribbean Beauty

Welsh Coach Company Goes Bust

Dear All

I do not know the full facts but won't let that hamper the invention of a theory, as usual, so my best guess is that the recession combined with justifiable nerves about public service redundancies in Wales, along with the recent purchase of new coaches and fuel rises, caused this old established large firm to go off the road (story below). Does anyone actually know the inside story or have any jolly japes to regale us with about their back of coach fumblings or trips with them?

Welsh coach operator seeks administration

Jan 07, 2011 15:06

Swansea-based Diamond Coach Holidays has ceased trading as it seeks to bring in administrators.

BBC Wales has reported the operator, the largest in the coaching holidays sector in Wales, was looking to appoint administrators today.

The firm operates coaching holidays throughout the UK and Europe having been established in 1954 and has 80,000 customers annually.

The BBC reported a sign outside its Cardiff premises is advising visitors that the firm, which employs around 70 people, has ceased trading.

Diamond has two shops, one in Swansea and one in Cardiff, and is said to have recently invested £5 million in 20 new vehicles.

They were killed by low interest rates.

Their target customers would be older people reliant on the interest from their savings.

Exactly this, for years my Mum has gone on a coach holiday every year with members of her bowls club, often two or three. Last year they didn't have a coach holiday for the first time, for this very reason.

They were killed by low interest rates.

Their target customers would be older people reliant on the interest from their savings.

Oddly enough... A couple I know, late 30s/early 40s would go with them each year to Bruges for the beer.

They told me they were always the youngest people on the trips by many a decade.

They told me that whenever they turned up for the start of the trip some retired senior citizen would kindly warn them that they were on the wrong bus - assuming that people so young would not be going on a coach trip to the same destination.

Another factor would possibly be the end of the "booze-cruise", whenever I was stocking up in Adinkerke five years ago there were always dozens of British coaches there, but the sharp reduction in the exchange rate has killed off this trade now.

Oddly enough... A couple I know, late 30s/early 40s would go with them each year to Bruges for the beer.

They told me they were always the youngest people on the trips by many a decade.

They told me that whenever they turned up for the start of the trip some retired senior citizen would kindly warn them that they were on the wrong bus - assuming that people so young would not be going on a coach trip to the same destination.

:lol: That's funny. I got the same reaction when I attended my first village history group meeting - in the past 2 years I have always been the youngest (and I am middle aged), some have died and one chap always sleeps through every meeting then wakes up for coffee and biscuits. The first meeting I went to was in a pub meeting room, so I carried a pint into the meeting with me only to be met by disapproving looks as they all supped on their tea and dentures.

Maybe death of coach passengers in recent icy winters has also been a problem - bearing in mind that their "young pensioner" replacements are of the aviation 1970's costa del sol generation who like to fly.

You used the word chav , what is your defintion of this word?

It was just an ironic "copy" of my old aviation thread which uses the same thread - while I would guess that most coach passengers are of traditional blue collar "working class" stock, this does not, of course, make them chavs. If nothing else, they are too old, mostly had jobs (once) and mostly did not have kids out of wedlock. No offence was intended, if you or your family members are coach holiday afficianados

You used the word chav , what is your defintion of this word?

Last time I went Leicester to Leeds by National Express it was mainly young people, students etc.. It was over a decade and a half ago though.

The OP used chav to mimic a long standing airline thread on here, about chavs being confined to the UK, due to airlines going bust. Very funny! laugh.gif

Now Wales will have to face its demons?

Exactly this, for years my Mum has gone on a coach holiday every year with members of her bowls club, often two or three. Last year they didn't have a coach holiday for the first time, for this very reason.

We called at the woollen mill at Moffat a couple of times last year and both times we noticed how few people were on the coaches as they pulled in. I suggested then that low interest rates were the reason and coach holiday firms were going to suffer.

Shearings/Coast and country are bombarding me with offers recently. From Jan to May £139 to £195 minus (-10% if booked by end Feb) for 4 nights Bed, Breakfast, Evening meal and free bar. Welcome packs (wine, chocolates, fruit, etc valued at £19) free if booked by the end of Jan.

Interesting comment on this story in the local rag:

I am SICK TO DEATH of crime in Swansea; I currently have a problem with men stealing my knickers off my washing line. What is worse is that they put them back on my washing line after they have 'used' them...

http://www.thisissouthwales.co.uk/news/Diamond-Holidays-Swansea-ceases-trading/article-3077123-detail/article.html

Only in Swansea.

Maybe death of coach passengers in recent icy winters has also been a problem - bearing in mind that their "young pensioner" replacements are of the aviation 1970's costa del sol generation who like to fly.

My solid working class, blue collar, boomer parents have migrated from coach hols (they've used Diamond) to cruises.

Why pay (half price) to use a coach, when you can use your bus pass for free.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/south_west/8044183.stm Welsh tour, the write is available in all good book stores.

However, when travelling the length and breadth of the UK, be careful not to lose your satnav http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/tyne/8271634.stm

....notice on the BBC website (closed for comment) that many people are writing off recovery of prepayments having paid by debit card ....it depends on the debit card ...e.g. a Visa Debit card used by quite a few Banks has the same protection as a Credit card... :)