House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

fishcalledsquander

Tv License Direct Debit

I had to sort out some incompetent dealings with my TV license today where they had managed to give me 2 accounts, thats all sorted now, but I discovered that the direct debit has been set up to pay the whole thing within 6 months and then start paying next years license. I asked if I could just pay a month at a time and they said it was not possible, I don't really see why I should pay in advance for something I haven't used yet.

I'm now going to be cancelling my direct debit after each payment and then starting it again when its due. I would encourage you to all do the same.

Anybody know if its always been done like this?

Moan over.

Yes, always been that way.

I did get back unused months when I moved though. Not sure why someone said only unused quarters.

Yes it sucks, but what can you do?

Yes, always been that way.

I did get back unused months when I moved though. Not sure why someone said only unused quarters.

Yes it sucks, but what can you do?

Keep cancelling so you only pay for what you use, rather than let them hoard your money. Completely legal btw

dont pay at all, chances are you will never get caught and if by some horrible luck that you do then you will likely only be fined the cost of the license.

there is a whole thread about it in this section that I only came across recently, take a look.

Can you buy TV licence stamps at the post office still? Suspect you had to buy a years in advance too with that.

Yes it's a con. Yes it's always been a con.

Agree with Dodkins.

Or at least I ditched the freeview box and kept the telly for DVDs and streaming photos and music to from my pc. Don't need a licence for this.

It is a absolutely incredible what a positive effect this has had on my life. That weight loss thing on iplayer is the first tv programme I've seen for about six months. And no tv licence needed for iplayer either.

I see the ps3 now receives iplayer, 4od and whatever itv's catchup service is called. You can also get lovefilm movies on it. For the price of two years' licence fee. If this catches on it could put a serious dent in the bbc's income stream.

I saw that arrangement, did the sums on the monthly and thought "you fly *******", with these rats its all about getting their claws into you, hence the overlapping period. just stop the direct debit after you have paid for the year at month 6, then cancel it. they will send you a letter stating your license will run out in 6 months. i cancelled my quarterly doing this and thats what happened, then of course the threatening letters started about a week after my license ran out. I'm never paying them a ******ing penny again as long as I live and can avoid. I live in a flat and don't answer my door to unexpected callers, if they want to stand outside my main door every 3rd tuesday in the pissing rain ringing a buzzer good luck to them. I find they give up after 3 buzzes, the 3rd usually lasting about 9 seconds ;)

..just another thing...I actually got caught about 10 years ago....I had the tv license threatening letter pinned to my door, to remind me not to open it without checking the peephole (this was in a scottish tenenment block, so no secure entry downstairs). door went, i was just standing coming out my study room beside the flat door, turned and opened the main door without thinking, and there was stood little and large, with the sound of eastenders bangining out in the background. They had me bang to rights so I took the letter, and they said to buy a license in the next 14 days and all was well. So I sorted out the stamps things and had paid about 10 quid, and I get a letter from them telling me I'm being prosecuted!!! I'm like FFS!!! Got them on phone, and started blubbering like a baby (classic tactic), gave them my details for the stamp account etc, and they backed down eventually and that was the end of it. Paid for a few months (3) then cancelled it. Never heard another thing (and I'm all over my credit file and have been for years). Problem gone. Dicks.

I had to sort out some incompetent dealings with my TV license today where they had managed to give me 2 accounts, thats all sorted now, but I discovered that the direct debit has been set up to pay the whole thing within 6 months and then start paying next years license. I asked if I could just pay a month at a time and they said it was not possible, I don't really see why I should pay in advance for something I haven't used yet.

I'm now going to be cancelling my direct debit after each payment and then starting it again when its due. I would encourage you to all do the same.

Moan over.

The first year you pay in six months. Thereafter it's monthly 12 months a year. If you already have a licence (for instance paid for by the annual payment) you just go straight on to the monthly rate though if I remember rightly.

Once you have one you can transfer it between houses so there is no need to go through the six month more than once unless you take a break from the telly. There is no fee for the monthly version.

Let's face it - most stuff of this type is like that - you pay the tax man in advance if your self employed, your MOT and car tax is up front etc etc.

Have never bought a TV license since leaving home 10 years ago.

Don't even remember getting a nagging letter in the last few years.

Surprises me that people even bother.

Moan over.

I discovered this last June, and cancelled the DD. I'm now sitting on the new bill, trying to decide whether or not to pay it.

Agree with Dodkins.

Or at least I ditched the freeview box and kept the telly for DVDs and streaming photos and music to from my pc. Don't need a licence for this.

It is a absolutely incredible what a positive effect this has had on my life. That weight loss thing on iplayer is the first tv programme I've seen for about six months. And no tv licence needed for iplayer either.

I see the ps3 now receives iplayer, 4od and whatever itv's catchup service is called. You can also get lovefilm movies on it. For the price of two years' licence fee. If this catches on it could put a serious dent in the bbc's income stream.

No. If this catches on they will change the law.

Agree with Dodkins.

Yep, that's what we do.

I don't believe in watching TV without a license.. if you use it, pay it.

But that said we have gone 8 years without streaming live TV and don't miss it a bit.

you do realise that (even if you dont have an aerial) that if you have a device with a Tuner in it (Radio, TV, Freeview, Videorecoder, DVD recorder, etc) then you have to pay for a licence, or have the tuner removed by a certified engineer, with a certificate.

also when ever you buy a device with a tuner in it, and the shop takes your details they pass them on to the TV licence agancy to macth your name and address to their database (they used to do it for DVD player with out tuner as they assumed your monitor/TV would have a Tuner)

i used to sell TV's etc in a indepentant shop, and i was the one who did all the paperwork etc, when i moved up to Dixons H/O do it once a quater for all shops.

the TV licence people was going to stop people buying anything with a Tuner (including car stereos) without providing your licence, then that being checked on a central database before purchase, but they couldnt work out how to make it work with so many different companies having different computer systems, and this was really before the internet revolution. now they could, and they probably will

you do realise that (even if you dont have an aerial) that if you have a device with a Tuner in it (Radio, TV, Freeview, Videorecoder, DVD recorder, etc) then you have to pay for a licence, or have the tuner removed by a certified engineer, with a certificate.

Google Vladimir Bukovsky

Rubbish.

This from the BBC.

Anyone in the UK watching or recording television as it's being broadcast or simulcast on any device - including mobiles, laptops and PCs - must, by law, be covered by a valid TV licence.

A 'live' TV programme is a programme, which is watched or recorded at the same time (or virtually the same time) as it is being broadcast or otherwise distributed to members of the public. As a general rule, if a person is watching a programme on a computer or other device at the same time as it is being shown on TV then the programme is 'live'. This is sometimes known as simulcasting.

LINK

And this from the TV Licencing site

The law states that you need to be covered by a TV Licence if you watch or record television programmes, on any device, as they're being shown on TV. This includes TVs, computers, mobile phones, games consoles, digital boxes and DVD/VHS recorders.

You don't need a licence if you don't use any of these devices to watch or record television programmes as they're being shown on TV - for example, if you use your TV only to watch DVDs or play video games, or you only watch programmes on your computer after they have been shown on TV.

LINK

It's amazing how much misinformation is spread about the TV licence.

you do realise that (even if you dont have an aerial) that if you have a device with a Tuner in it (Radio, TV, Freeview, Videorecoder, DVD recorder, etc)

Radio? There's been no need for a radio licence since 1971.

More inaccurate nonsense.

Radio? There's been no need for a radio licence since 1971.

More inaccurate nonsense.

damn...Im cancelling my standing order immediately!

But that said we have gone 8 years without streaming live TV and don't miss it a bit.

Me neither, and this was quite unexpected. I initially watched the odd thing on iplayer but hardly ever bother with that now. That 10 ways to lose weight thing was the first thing I've watched for over six months.

Films and decent tv series I'd much rather watch on DVD.

The tv licence is outdated. It made sense when there only was the bbc broadcasting but surely it's time to make it a subscription service now?