House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

R K

Renault - Espionage Threatens Our Strategic Assets

http://www.bbc.co.uk...siness-12125864

French carmaker Renault has said that suspected industrial espionage against its business poses a serious threat to its "strategic assets".

The statement comes a day after Renault suspended three senior managers after an investigation into the possible leaking of electric vehicle secrets.

Commenting on the matter, French Industry Minister Eric Besson warned the country was facing "economic war".

Mr Besson said the situation at Renault "appears serious".

"The expression 'economic war', while sometimes outrageous, for once is appropriate," he told France's RTL radio station.

"It appears to concern the electric car, but I do not want to go further."

Mr Besson said he was calling for French companies which received public funds to improve their security.

BBC business reporter Mark Gregory said that the French government was particularly concerned because of the important role carmaking plays in the French economy.

"Hundreds of thousands of French jobs depend on the motor trade," he said.

"The biggest advantage Western car makers have against rivals with lower labour costs elsewhere is their advanced technology. Hence the talk in France of an economic war."

Economic war? With whom can they possibly mean?

Things are starting to hot up in La Republique.................

It's interesting that this comes just affect one of the leaked Wikileaks documents contained an allegation that France is the worst offender for industrial espionage.

http://www.france24.com/en/20110104-france-industrial-espionage-economy-germany-russia-china-business

"France is the evil empire (in) stealing technology, and Germany knows this," Berry Smutny, the head of German satellite company OHB Technology, was quoted as saying in the diplomatic note obtained by WikiLeaks and released by the Norwegian daily Aftenposten.

Germany, with its decentralised government, was however not willing to do much to counter French industrial espionage activities, he was paraphrased as saying.

"Going on at length of his (disdain) of the French, Smutny said French IPR (intellectual property rights) espionage is so bad that the total damage done to the German economy is greater than that inflicted by China or Russia," read the cable, dated November 20, 2009.

Yeah I heard about the wiki leaks French espionage link today. Would be interesting to hear about some specific goods or techniques that have been stolen. On another note this theft of knowledge may be good for the consumer, as competitors could improve the engineering.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...siness-12125864

Economic war? With whom can they possibly mean?

Things are starting to hot up in La Republique.................

My money is on the Chinese. Look at the stealth fighter they unveiled the other day.

We're seeing a rerun of the spying that went on during the cold war. Difference is that China is extremely rich and has a population seven times the size of Russia.

I am seriously beginning to believe that the Chinese, in the next decade or two, are not just going to surpass the US economically, they will be rendering the West as a well and truly busted flush even enslaving it. Just look at how the US had to kowtow to them yesterday and how readily they expressed interest in buying Spanish debt.

• Their strength lies in their numbers (they have massive amounts of uber cheap labour).

• They are smart and underhand (US research labs regularly complain about the thousands of attacks they receive from Chinese state hackers daily).

• They have little or no regard for human rights especially for they own countrymen (just look at the vicious wars and slaughter that lead to the unification of China).

• They have quietly been securing access to vast amount of resources.

• They have an imperial history they believe they are in the process of ressurrecting.

Churchill spotted the Nazi threat long before most others and was for a long time laughed at. Where is today's Churchill to tell it like it is?

My money is on the Chinese. Look at the stealth fighter they unveiled the other day.

We're seeing a rerun of the spying that went on during the cold war. Difference is that China is extremely rich and has a population seven times the size of Russia.

I am seriously beginning to believe that the Chinese, in the next decade or two, are not just going to surpass the US economically, they will be rendering the West as a well and truly busted flush even enslaving it. Just look at how the US had to kowtow to them yesterday and how readily they expressed interest in buying Spanish debt.

• Their strength lies in their numbers (they have massive amounts of uber cheap labour).

• They are smart and underhand (US research labs regularly complain about the thousands of attacks they receive from Chinese state hackers daily).

• They have little or no regard for human rights especially for they own countrymen (just look at the vicious wars and slaughter that lead to the unification of China).

• They have an imperial history they believe they are in the process of ressurrecting.

Churchill spotted the Nazi threat long before most others and was for a long time laughed at. Where is today's Churchill to tell it like it is?

I don't disagree, but I'm less worried about the Chinese than the British.

Presently I am working at British site of a European engineering company. The French, bless 'em, seem to be dominant in the

organisation, but if they were not many of the functions would now be in India, or on the way there, if the British management

had their way.

And yes, that would also involve a technological gift. No need for industrial spies whatsoever, that's something of a red herring.

Renault make horrid little $hit boxes will fall to pieces in a matter of months..... and that's just their petrol & diesel models..... gawd help us if stolen Renault "expertise" is the Blueprint for all future EV technology :lol:

Well when I was in China about 5 years ago it was common knowledge that they were doing their own kind of low level industrial espionage with regards to counterfeit goods.

Western Company sets up cheap factory in industrial area.

[senior] Employees of company see how stuff is made and set up a counterfeit factory further into the country ( where westerners won't go ).

Factory then produce counterfeit goods which are made at a fraction of the price ( because the factory is situated in a cheaper area ) and then dumped onto the western black markets.

Profit.

China at the time didn't care about the intellectual property of foreign companies, only about its own industrial growth ( which seems reasonable enough if they are being selfish ). I don't know whether that has changed.

Renault make horrid little $hit boxes will fall to pieces in a matter of months..... and that's just their petrol & diesel models..... gawd help us if stolen Renault "expertise" is the Blueprint for all future EV technology :lol:

Agreed. But Renault = Nissan and the latter are heavily invested in EV (Leaf? )

Well, Toyotas have suddenly become unreliable - I think we can see why now!

Not sure about the Chinese being the same sort of threat as the Nazis, but did you know they have a program in which they send many thousands of their brightest and best students (I met one, it was rather humbling teaching this small ugly girl stuff then finding that 3 weeks later she knew more than me, probably something to do with her photographic memory) to the major companies round the world for work experience. Often in IT, she said to me.

Wonder how much knowledge is finding it's way to China via this program?