House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pete95

Anyone Had A Wisdom Tooth Removed?!..

I've got a wisdom tooth which has been coming through for about 2 years - it's poking through the gum, but just keeps getting infected causing a bad taste in my mouth and a bit of pain, and I don't fancy waiting another 2 years for it to come through fully.

Dentist (private) has previously suggested leaving it be, but saw him today and he agreed it's going to need to be removed if it keeps getting infected like it is. I asked him if he could remove it, but he said no. Options are refer to NHS - 3 month wait for appointment, then 3 month wait to get it removed!! (no thanks) Or go private... he said the cost will be around £1500... :blink:

Now I've got a mate who's had what sounds like a wisdom tooth at a similar stage, and he had his removed by his dentist at a cost of £100?!!

Anyone had any removed, and if so NHS or private, and what was the cost/wait?!!

I've had a couple removed, quite a while ago, on the NHS. Didn't have any great wait and it wasn't that big a deal, I remember after the first one I just went straight back to work. It could only have been a 30 minutes appointment, 45 minutes tops, £1500 seems a lot to me but like they say becoming a dentist takes seven years, one year on teeth and six years on accountancy and book-keeping.

Had all four removed NHS under general anesthetic, three were removed before they had even come through ...no problems stayed in overnight. ;)

I think you have misheard. It should be around £150 give or take private, whether a simple extraction or surgical. Top ones that have erupted are very simple extractions.

I think wisdom teeth troubles are getting more and more prevalent in people in their late twenties and above because NICE advice is now much more conservative when it comes to routine removal. No, there's no reason to extract them with no evidence that they will cause problems but then waiting until they flare up when they are clearly problematic isn't great either. So the standard of care isn't clear. The other problem is when a wisdom tooth over erupts because its opposite number is not there or is deeply impacted as the high tooth can catch in the bite causing discomfort in the teeth or jaws. It's probably worth getting the opposing tooth removed too if there is one as it will over-erupt eventually.

£100?

Get it done at a hospital and it is underwritten by the NHS, i.e. you pay nothing on the spot.

I had a wisdom tooth sideways taken out in 1998. It was ok they smashed the tooth up with a hammer drill and pulled the bits out. My head was swollen about 150% for 3 days and I couldn't eat it was fine.

Thanks guys, the cost quoted was definitely £1500 and not £150! I expected my dentist to say yes he could remove it for £100 or so (it's a bottom tooth - not impacted or anything - about 1/4 of the tooth poking out the gum)

I'm not entirely sure what to do as a friend recently had one out for £100 and it sounds like it was at pretty much the same stage.

I either go ahead with getting my dentist to refer me privately and stump up the cash, or maybe I should find another dentist?!! :unsure:

Thanks guys, the cost quoted was definitely £1500 and not £150! I expected my dentist to say yes he could remove it for £100 or so (it's a bottom tooth - not impacted or anything - about 1/4 of the tooth poking out the gum)

I'm not entirely sure what to do as a friend recently had one out for £100 and it sounds like it was at pretty much the same stage.

I either go ahead with getting my dentist to refer me privately and stump up the cash, or maybe I should find another dentist?!! :unsure:

You need to learn how to play the system. You say you are in immense pain and it hurts so much you can barely eat and it is keeping you awake at night especially the pain. You do this you'll get refered to a hospital in days and they'll mush it out for £0.

You need to learn how to play the system. You say you are in immense pain and it hurts so much you can barely eat and it is keeping you awake at night especially the pain. You do this you'll get refered to a hospital in days and they'll mush it out for £0.

+1

Had all four out at once under local on the NHS. Hurt for a few days, but otherwise no problems.

I had a quick Google and the cheapest price for a private wisdom tooth extraction was £78, although there were quotes of up to £1900 at poncey clinics.

You have to play this one at the w/end otherwise they'll tell you to see your own dentist on Monday. Go to a&e on Friday or Saturday and if you tell them it's making you feel suicidal that usually bumps you up the list :)

Sad but true. If you need help you have to turn it up several notches.

I was literally into the realms of acting to get help with some extremely painful kidney stones.

I had a quick Google and the cheapest price for a private wisdom tooth extraction was £78, although there were quotes of up to £1900 at poncey clinics.

Good private clinics in Poland do it for a fraction of the UK cost and I hear they have lots of UK customers.

Quick bit of googling and it does seem like a lot of dentists will remove for a reasonable price (ie couple of hundred).

I'm going to have a ring around tomorrow and see if any are willing to commit to doing it without me having to join etc.

If it comes to it then I guess going to the doctors and saying I'm in agony with it etc might be an option, but I would feel pretty bad about doing that as I'd be jumping the queue of others who probably need the treatment more than I do, and maybe cant afford to have it done privately!

Good private clinics in Poland do it for a fraction of the UK cost and I hear they have lots of UK customers.

I was going to suggest that, combine it with a few days sightseeing in Warsaw and it would still come out at a fraction of the cost and the surgery would be to British standards.

I once had to have fairly complicated dental surgery in Ukraine, the drill was run using a series of pulleys which would I suppose have once been powered by rubber belts, like car fan belts, but these had obviously perished away and it was being run using pieces of knotted rope, I was fascinated watching all of the knots flying around!

If it comes to it then I guess going to the doctors and saying I'm in agony with it etc might be an option, but I would feel pretty bad about doing that as I'd be jumping the queue of others who probably need the treatment more than I do, and maybe cant afford to have it done privately!

Think of the amount of taxes you pay, it should sooth your conscience against any such unaltruistic thoughts. That said I don't want value for money from the NHS. Matt goe value for his tax money TWICE. When he crashed and broke his spine in 3 places and was in ICU for months. The other time when he totalled his car and it burned with him still in it.

Quick bit of googling and it does seem like a lot of dentists will remove for a reasonable price (ie couple of hundred).

I'm going to have a ring around tomorrow and see if any are willing to commit to doing it without me having to join etc.

Don't be a daft bugger. If you do it 'out of hours' then there'll be a dentist on standby. You will not be jumping any queues.

I've got a wisdom tooth which has been coming through for about 2 years - it's poking through the gum, but just keeps getting infected causing a bad taste in my mouth and a bit of pain, and I don't fancy waiting another 2 years for it to come through fully.

Dentist (private) has previously suggested leaving it be, but saw him today and he agreed it's going to need to be removed if it keeps getting infected like it is. I asked him if he could remove it, but he said no. Options are refer to NHS - 3 month wait for appointment, then 3 month wait to get it removed!! (no thanks) Or go private... he said the cost will be around £1500... :blink:

Now I've got a mate who's had what sounds like a wisdom tooth at a similar stage, and he had his removed by his dentist at a cost of £100?!!

Anyone had any removed, and if so NHS or private, and what was the cost/wait?!!

It probably very much depends on what the roots of the tooth are like. They can be a 'mare to remove and, it may be that given the state of yours, the don't want to risk damaging your other teeth/jaw. If it was me, and I wasn't flush, all other things being equal I'd probably go the NHS root and get some antibiotics for when it flares up before then...but this is making all sorts of assumptions and "I am not a dentist" etc. Mrs Woods had 2 removed in hospital a couple of years ago (Banbury). This seemed okay, though the management of the day surgery and the nursing staff were not as it should be in my opinion - lots of them seemingly doing nothing much and quite inefficiently. On the other hand, the anesthetist and surgeon were nice blokes and did a good job. She didn't have to wait 6 months either.

Most of the £1500 will be the cost of the day bed in the hospital, anaethetist fees, surgery fees etc.

I had a tooth removed for £120.However i know wisdom tooth can be a problem,(i don't want to put you off!)

They can become impacted and have to be cut away from the jaw bone,which means carefully, to avoid damage to

the nerves.Don't go for a cheap option + most dentist will do a payment plan and offer free after care should any

problems arise.Look up dry socket if you really want to scare yourself.

BS :)

Had mine removed privately for around £40 each.

There are good, reasonably priced private dentists out there but they're few and far between.

Yes, you have to do your homework. There are some out there that aren't sharks or obsessed with 'building their business' and have good ethics. The two best dentists I've had have a laundry list of extensive extra training yet still only charge on the lighter side of average. By contrast, I've been in front of a used car salesman of a dentist too.

Many dentists can't ethically be NHS dentists as they have to give cheapo treatments well below the best of what's available No one should be having mercury fillings these days with many countries banning them, or cheapo metal bridges, crowns and the like.

I dread getting a wisdom tooth out - it'd have to be general anaesthetic for me.

Kidney stones!? Ouch - heard from a mate somebody he knew had to get a poke up his little (front) hole to help out with that. REALLY don't want that!

I dread getting a wisdom tooth out - it'd have to be general anaesthetic for me.

Kidney stones!? Ouch - heard from a mate somebody he knew had to get a poke up his little (front) hole to help out with that. REALLY don't want that!

Scotland's water is very soft so kidney stones are less likely to develop.

(Although, few studies disagree with that.)

'Giving a birth' to a kidney stone is one of the most painful experiences a male can go through. As you say, problems start when the stone (usually looks like a sharp little diamond) is stuck somewhere on the way. :o

Many dentists can't ethically be NHS dentists as they have to give cheapo treatments well below the best of what's available No one should be having mercury fillings these days with many countries banning them, or cheapo metal bridges, crowns and the like.

Agreed, it's something I've learned the hard way.

Never using an NHS dentist again.