House Price Crash Forum

Mothercare And Clinton Cards

And so it begins...

BBC news - Mothercare and Clintons proft warning

The weather is once again blamed for the poor sales....hmmm, or is it because Tesco etc are taking away their customers?

Mothercare are ridiculously expensive, so it's no surprise they are suffering.

Even more surprising is that clinton cards are still going. Who on earth is paying 3 quid for a bit of card?

Everyone is at card factory instead which charges 50p, and does a nice line of birthday cards at 7 for a quid.

The weather is once again blamed for the poor sales....hmmm, or is it because Tesco etc are taking away their customers?

It's the latter in my case.

We have a 3 month old baby and Mothercare is hugely overpriced, for just about everything. We got a 10% off voucher in December and my wife told me just to throw it away. When I asked why, I was told "Mothercare is at least 30% more expensive than everywhere else".

When you are comparing brand name products, how do these companies think they have a business model by being so much more than online or even bricks and mortar competitors... does anyone shop at Clinton Cards or Mothercare for the ambience? :lol:

Mothercare:

the group maintained salary levels for

2009/10 at 2008/09 levels. Consequently,

the salaries for Ben Gordon and

Neil Harrington remained at £600,000

and £265,400 respectively. No changes

in executive director salaries are

proposed for the year 2010/11.

the committee made no awards under the

PSP during the year. Instead it introduced

a one-time deferred share bonus

opportunity based on a fair value

exchange reflecting the normal PSP

award sizes. The fair value exchange

maintained the expected current value

of executives’ total remuneration.

Ben Gordon and Neil Harrington received

performance-related bonuses of

£224,100 (2009: £372,000) and £71,600

(2009: £139,000) respectively for the year

ended 27 March 2010 (28 per cent and

23 per cent of maximum for Ben Gordon

and Neil Harrington respectively).

I think it's not only the weather, it's still the world cup you know...

people not cheerful enough to pay £3 for a card that's made in China for 3p.

...add to that the postage....more people ring, text or email today.....the kids make their own thank-you cards, so much nicer imo.

Mothercare:

the group maintained salary levels for

2009/10 at 2008/09 levels. Consequently,

the salaries for Ben Gordon and

Neil Harrington remained at £600,000

and £265,400 respectively. No changes

in executive director salaries are

proposed for the year 2010/11.

the committee made no awards under the

PSP during the year. Instead it introduced

a one-time deferred share bonus

opportunity based on a fair value

exchange reflecting the normal PSP

award sizes. The fair value exchange

maintained the expected current value

of executives’ total remuneration.

Ben Gordon and Neil Harrington received

performance-related bonuses of

£224,100 (2009: £372,000) and £71,600

(2009: £139,000) respectively for the year

ended 27 March 2010 (28 per cent and

23 per cent of maximum for Ben Gordon

and Neil Harrington respectively).

But if they pay peanuts they get monkeys.

Imagine how bad shape they'd be in without these fine people in charge?

Mothercare gets my goat too...

I'm due to give birth any day now, and so we've been in the market for the usual paraphenalia. As a friend points out, the shops should consider us like shooting fish in a barrel - we need the stuff, and we're in their shop.

The customer service in Mothercare is abysmal, and they don't know what they're talking about, and couldn't be ar5ed to spend the time trying to make a sale (baby travel systems/pram/pushchairs etc was the main case in point). In the end we went to Babies R Us, and the girl there was great, and took the time to give sensible advice, with practical examples of why I might want to buy any of the extras.

And, as What'isname says, the prices in Mothercare are above any other competitors

The BBC's example of Next being one of Mothercare's competitors is such a bad example, you wonder what they think either shop sell...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/retailandconsumer/8241720/Games-Workshop-issues-profits-warning.html

Games Workshop, which produces popular war games such as Warhammer and Lord of the Rings and model figures with which to play them, said its sales were down 4pc in the six months to the end of November.

Shares in Games Workshop fell 55 on Wednesday to 372½p on news that profits would come in below the market expectation of about £17m.

Blaming "difficult trading conditions", Game Workshop said sales over the Christmas period were unlikely to help it make up the shortfall.

And another one.

Mothercare gets my goat too...

I'm due to give birth any day now, and so we've been in the market for the usual paraphenalia. As a friend points out, the shops should consider us like shooting fish in a barrel - we need the stuff, and we're in their shop.

The customer service in Mothercare is abysmal, and they don't know what they're talking about, and couldn't be ar5ed to spend the time trying to make a sale (baby travel systems/pram/pushchairs etc was the main case in point). In the end we went to Babies R Us, and the girl there was great, and took the time to give sensible advice, with practical examples of why I might want to buy any of the extras.

And, as What'isname says, the prices in Mothercare are above any other competitors

The BBC's example of Next being one of Mothercare's competitors is such a bad example, you wonder what they think either shop sell...

2 words for you, John Lewis. We got an hour long appointment to go through what we needed (or not). We spent most of the time looking at prams and after we'd eventually settled on one, the knowledgable and helpful JL employee said it was stocked by my wife's employer so we'd be better off getting it there to save some money. We spent nothing on the day and to top it off, she gave us a voucher for cake and coffee for 2 at the instore cafe. We have since been back and bought numerous later bits.