House Price Crash Forum
Arbitrage

Bbc Comedy Gold

The lead item on last night's news was rising commodity prices, aka inflation

www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00x8c7p/BBC_News_at_Ten_05_01_2011/

Various bogus reasons were given - including global warming and rising prosperity in Asia.

However, there was not one word spoken on the impacts of QE on commodity prices

The price of internationally traded commodities like cotton, wheat and oil are expressed in US dollars.

Printing up billions of dollars apparently has no impact on the dollar prices of these commodities :lol::lol::lol:

Not important enough for Steff Flanders to mention, apparently!

Laughable propaganda!

Prepare yourselves for some serious inflation - well, in £/$s

Edited by Arbitrage

The more you look into things the scarier it all gets :unsure:

You have hedge funds speculating on the staples of World food production (rice, wheat) as well as cotton etc and their mates Monsanto and the likes forcing their GMO terminator seeds (Google it) so these third world poor producers have to buy these companies seeds each year along with their fertiliser etc.

Then thinking about this further is it to hard to imagine there being a massive insider trade where these hedge funds have advance warning that a 'bad' batch of these seeds have been put out = lower crop yields in the coming months and therefore prices all rise 'unexpectedly' which the hedge funds make even more profit on :blink:

The more you look into things the scarier it all gets :unsure:

You have hedge funds speculating on the staples of World food production (rice, wheat) as well as cotton etc and their mates Monsanto and the likes forcing their GMO terminator seeds (Google it) so these third world poor producers have to buy these companies seeds each year along with their fertiliser etc.

Then thinking about this further is it to hard to imagine there being a massive insider trade where these hedge funds have advance warning that a 'bad' batch of these seeds have been put out = lower crop yields in the coming months and therefore prices all rise 'unexpectedly' which the hedge funds make even more profit on :blink:

Speculation is evil and should be banned. Those guys have a lot of deaths on their hands (food prices) and they know it.

Speculation is evil and should be banned. Those guys have a lot of deaths on their hands (food prices) and they know it.

Where do the speculators get their cash from?

No, the underlying cause of rising food prices is money printing on a biblical scale by CBs

The lead item on last night's news was rising commodity prices, aka inflation

www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00x8c7p/BBC_News_at_Ten_05_01_2011/

Various bogus reasons were given - including global warming and rising prosperity in Asia.

However, there was not one word spoken on the impacts of QE on commodity prices

The price of internationally traded commodities like cotton, wheat and oil are expressed in US dollars.

Printing up billions of dollars apparently has no impact on the dollar prices of these commodities :lol::lol::lol:

Not important enough for Steff Flanders to mention, apparently!

Laughable propaganda!

Prepare yourselves for some serious inflation - well, in £/$s

I have some severe doubts about the global warming excuse, but rising prosperity in much of Asia, with its billions of people, demanding more food and housing and petrol and other stuff, does seem like a reasonable explanation for increasing demand for commodities.

I did scream at the telly "That's because they keep printing ******ing money you stupid bitch".

You and a million others.

I remember around 18 months ago Flounders was reporting that inflation was good for the economy, or words to that effect. I was so inflamed by the drivel coming out of her mouth I logged onto my online bank account and canceled my T.V license direct debt. I was slightly pissed at the time :ph34r:

I have some severe doubts about the global warming excuse, but rising prosperity in much of Asia, with its billions of people, demanding more food and housing and petrol and other stuff, does seem like a reasonable explanation for increasing demand for commodities.

And this trend suddenly started just in the last year - just like the sudden commodity inflation?

No way!

Price rises match in with QE2 / QE3

You and a million others.

No, I dont think she's stupid per se. However, a quick peruse of her sexual history viz a viz leading labourites shows her to be so politically biaised I dont see how she can remain in her job.

I remember around 18 months ago Flounders was reporting that inflation was good for the economy, or words to that effect. I was so inflamed by the drivel coming out of her mouth I logged onto my online bank account and canceled my T.V license direct debt. I was slightly pissed at the time :ph34r:

I wondered about this last night. Without any apparent warning, there is now a food crisis, that no one could see coming.

My thoughts when I watched this were how much the speculators were involved with this, and whether bail out and TARP money was being used to drive up the cost of essential commodities.

But it seems to be the case that Flounders and the BBC economic team are just mouth pieces for the banking establishment.

And this trend suddenly started just in the last year - just like the sudden commodity inflation?

No way!

Price rises match in with QE2 / QE3

Commodities appear to have been rising in price for about 12 years if my memory serves me correctly. Of course the definition of commodities includes many different things. Just look at copper though, I am sure that demand from a growing China has consistently forced the price higher over a decade or so.

I am not disagreeing with you about the printing of dollars, that too will cause the value of the dollar to fall (dollar prices to rise). I am just saying that there is growing demand from Asia, and that also is part of the reason for the wind up in commodity prices.

Just look at copper though, I am sure that demand from a growing China has consistently forced the price higher over a decade or so.

All you need to know about rising Copper prices can be read here which you can extrapolate onto pretty much all the other commodities.

NOTE: Make sure you read the comments under that article to educate yourself

Edited by GeordieAndy

No, I dont think she's stupid per se. However, a quick peruse of her sexual history viz a viz leading labourites shows her to be so politically biaised I dont see how she can remain in her job.

The curse of the economics profession is that he who pays the piper calls the tune.

TV economists like Steph speak to the scripts of their employers, as do economists working in banking and for the government.

They have no professional code of ethics allowing them to act with independence.

All you need to know about rising Copper prices can be read here which you can extrapolate onto pretty much all the other commodities.

NOTE: Make sure you read the comments under that article to educate yourself

I found a chart on here.

http://www.tradingeconomics.com/Economics/Commodities.aspx?Symbol=HG1

It shows how copper rose from 2000 to around 2008, when the crash really knocked the price back. Since then, the price has risen again to new highs.

I remember this argument from '08 when WTIC was trading above $130 and USD was going straight to hell without passing GO.

I've some copper futures I'd love to sell to you guys - who'll give me a bid? :lol: