House Price Crash Forum

Brighton's Housing Hell - Houses 12 Times Average Income

HOLA441
  • Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

"The average house price for Brighton and Hove in 2009 (£244,946) stood at nearly 12 times the average individual income (£20,925)"

Over 9,546 households in Brighton and Hove on waiting lists (about 10% of the population!!!!)

Shocking.

I bought a studio flat in central Brighton in 1994 for £25k off a friend who had it valued a few years earlier at £80k. I sold it in 2001 (I know) for £100k after converting it to a 1 bed.

HOLA443

"The average house price for Brighton and Hove in 2009 (£244,946) stood at nearly 12 times the average individual income (£20,925)"

Over 9,546 households in Brighton and Hove on waiting lists (about 10% of the population!!!!)

Ive just got back from 7 days in Brighton; the missus fancies moving there at some point and a friend said we could flat sit for a week while we had a look around the area.

My conclusion? Half a million will buy you:

a) an average 4 bed terrace with a small garden in one of the OK areas OR

B) an OK 3 bed terrace with a bigger garden in an OK area

These are asking prices I hasten to add.

How the hell did this happen? Its depressing.

As for Brighton well its OK but the property is PACKED together; you are lucky to get an outside space. It's alright but not fantastic. I knew it was expensive but these prices are knocking on London prices (which are also stupid)

HOLA444

Ive just got back from 7 days in Brighton; the missus fancies moving there at some point and a friend said we could flat sit for a week while we had a look around the area.

My conclusion? Half a million will buy you:

a) an average 4 bed terrace with a small garden in one of the OK areas OR

B) an OK 3 bed terrace with a bigger garden in an OK area

These are asking prices I hasten to add.

How the hell did this happen? Its depressing.

As for Brighton well its OK but the property is PACKED together; you are lucky to get an outside space. It's alright but not fantastic. I knew it was expensive but these prices are knocking on London prices (which are also stupid)

We looked at Brighton a few years ago. What really put is off, apart from the prices, was the schools situation. There are very few half decent primary schools in areas that are remotely affordable and competition for places is fierce. Also, they had a lottery system for secondary schools, although they may have discontinued this now.

HOLA445

Where did you get this quote from? I completely agree that the situation here is madness as the average wage is lower than the national average and yet the flat i just moved out of which i was paying £1000 per month rent just sold for £300k....

HOLA446

Thats brilliant news! Must mean the economy in Brighton is booming! All is well.

HOLA447

My missus was bought up in an OK suburb in a house which is now valued at close to 3million - back in the mid 80s it was £150,000.

Unless you're a millionaire, don't event contemplate Brighton - it's a disaster. The schools are terrible too, such as Dorothy Stringer, Patcham Fawcett, etc. London prices with shitty wages. The 'money' is from dodgy stuff or London.

Edited by gruffydd

HOLA448
HOLA449

My elbow of the forest!

Been tracking properties East of Brigfhton--Saltdean for example. Anything nice is still north of £300k but dropping nicely.

Zoopla has this one with two drops since it came on the market in September of -6.7% and -2.9%. Still for sale so I would expect it to be £299k this month. When it gets close to £250k I might have a butchers.

http://www.zoopla.co.uk/for-sale/details/12517376?search_identifier=06132dc30a83aa9df24f818fe90cff49

I estimate prices are down 10-15% in my region in 2010. I expect another 15% down this year unless something awful kicks in (massive job losses) in which case -20-25% is on the cards.

I am feeling quite bouyant this morning and resilient against bullishness.

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412

My elbow of the forest!

Been tracking properties East of Brigfhton--Saltdean for example. Anything nice is still north of £300k but dropping nicely.

Zoopla has this one with two drops since it came on the market in September of -6.7% and -2.9%. Still for sale so I would expect it to be £299k this month. When it gets close to £250k I might have a butchers.

http://www.zoopla.co.uk/for-sale/details/12517376?search_identifier=06132dc30a83aa9df24f818fe90cff49

I estimate prices are down 10-15% in my region in 2010. I expect another 15% down this year unless something awful kicks in (massive job losses) in which case -20-25% is on the cards.

Eyewatering prices. I look at a house I used to own and sold for £50,000in mid 90s - now it's 3 flats at 80k a pop. It was a terrible house with structural issues facing onto a very busy road, although not the worst area (plenty of them to choose from!). I know the place like the back of my hand and simply can't understand the prices. Brigton used to be pretty zany in the 80s but I guess the London commuter invasion has knocked that on the head! Perhaps that's it plain and simple - the London commuter invasion. How much have season tickets gone up this year?

Edited by gruffydd

HOLA4413

How could prices NOT go down RB. I was looking at the local labour market a month or so ago and my conclusions were - (1) The wages are some of the worst in S England. (2) There aren't many jobs.

100% correct. Its a mystery!

London money? A house in our Brighton cul-de-sac of 40 30s-built smallish semis has just gone for peak 2007 prices and it wasn't particularly well renovated.

Perhaps there were twigs involved?

HOLA4414

My elbow of the forest!

Looking at Brighton last week, at it's economy and house prices etc I just cannot understand the prices there. I have no idea if prices are coming down in Brighton but 1/2 mil for an average terrace is mental. Seems to me there are a lot of places - in fact everywhere in the south east and some places in the south west where all I hear is 'prices will remain stable because of the money coming in from London'!

Can London really be propping up prices in Brighton, Devon, Cornwall, Oxfordshire, The Cotswolds, Buckinghamshire and so on...? I really cannot believe it is but that is the excuse I hear everywhere!

HOLA4415

Looking at Brighton last week, at it's economy and house prices etc I just cannot understand the prices there. I have no idea if prices are coming down in Brighton but 1/2 mil for an average terrace is mental. Seems to me there are a lot of places - in fact everywhere in the south east and some places in the south west where all I hear is 'prices will remain stable because of the money coming in from London'!

Can London really be propping up prices in Brighton, Devon, Cornwall, Oxfordshire, The Cotswolds, Buckinghamshire and so on...? I really cannot believe it is but that is the excuse I hear everywhere!

Brighton has always attracted alot of London money historically but it has been manic over the past decade. It seems that every Yummy-Mummy in London wants to move with the kids there as it such a groovy place :P Hence the problems with the schools

HOLA4416

Brighton has always attracted alot of London money historically but it has been manic over the past decade. It seems that every Yummy-Mummy in London wants to move with the kids there as it such a groovy place :P Hence the problems with the schools

I've always thought of Brighton was full of old damp flats. I wasn't aware that it had shaken off its seedy reputation? The shopping district has a road running through it, which goes to show how stupid the council are. Parking is a nightmare; you pay a fortune for the smell of somebody else's urine. There are homeless people and druggies everywhere.

I'd rather buy in one of the villages outside Brighton. I just don't see the attraction.

HOLA4417

No way near as groovy as it was back when I lived there. Pretty mainstream really. The schools were always shite.

One thing that amuses me is how Lewes has now become so popular with gays - it was anti-gay when I lived in those parts but they gays of Brighton obviously felt the need to move to more genteel parts.

The funny thing about Lewes is everyone thinks it's so middle class yet most of the housing stock - Malling, Landport, Neville, is council.

Last time I was in Lewes was 1992 - and prices appear to have mushroomed - houses I remember being around £150k are now £500k - the Lewes economy is even worse than Brighton's and slower rail link to London. INSANITY!

Edited by gruffydd

HOLA4418

I've always thought of Brighton was full of old damp flats. I wasn't aware that it had shaken off its seedy reputation? The shopping district has a road running through it, which goes to show how stupid the council are. Parking is a nightmare; you pay a fortune for the smell of somebody else's urine. There are homeless people and druggies everywhere.

I'd rather buy in one of the villages outside Brighton. I just don't see the attraction.

It kind of never did - all that seedy stuff was seen as a bit bohemian and arty, and still is.

HOLA4419
HOLA4420

My missus was bought up in an OK suburb in a house which is now valued at close to 3million - back in the mid 80s it was £150,000.

Unless you're a millionaire, don't event contemplate Brighton - it's a disaster. The schools are terrible too, such as Dorothy Stringer, Patcham Fawcett, etc. London prices with shitty wages. The 'money' is from dodgy stuff or London.

I believe people commute from Brighton to London. The train service used to be every hour right through the night, but I don't know if it is still that good.

HOLA4421
HOLA4422

No way near as groovy as it was back when I lived there. Pretty mainstream really. The schools were always shite.

One thing that amuses me is how Lewes has now become so popular with gays - it was anti-gay when I lived in those parts but they gays of Brighton obviously felt the need to move to more genteel parts.

The funny thing about Lewes is everyone thinks it's so middle class yet most of the housing stock - Malling, Landport, Neville, is council.

Last time I was in Lewes was 1992 - and prices appear to have mushroomed - houses I remember being around £150k are now £500k - the Lewes economy is even worse than Brighton's and slower rail link to London. INSANITY!

I never understood the appeal of Lewis either. It seems like a cramped place in the middle of nowhere in particular. The villages around Lewis, like Alfriston, are probably worth the money but not Lewis itself.

Brighton must be one of the most overpriced places in Britain. There seems to be druggies puffing dope everywhere. If I think of anything to commend it I'll let you know.

HOLA4423
HOLA4424

I have friends living in 500k houses with an income of around £15k per household. Low interest rates saving them from repo-land. As for the Londoners coming down here, I posted this last month on the Brighton page My link

"People buying very expensive houses in brighton

EXHIBIT A)

Young couple may have bought this 2 bedder in Shoreditch in 2001 for £150,000. Oh it was SO much fun in trendy East London and they saw lots of YBA Tracey Emin type things and ate authentic Vietnamese all the time but now Oh God she's expecting a baby and they don't want to send their kid to the local cesspit / school . . SO WHY NOT SELL UP AND MOVE TO BRIGHTON!!!! Everyone else is doing it. It's so clean down there! Not like Shoreditch. And Zoe Ball's always saying how great it is. So sell the 2 bedder in East London for £700,000 and buy 6 bedder overlooking St Anns! for £700,000 - no mortgage or anything and get to feel really clever and posh and smug!

Other exhibits to follow once I've calmed down and had me dinner. "

HOLA4425

London really is seriously warped. some of myy starvin Irish forefathers moved near there in 19thC It was a slum then. It still is! WTF. 700 feckin 000 for that pile of crap! It looks disgusting!

I liked a facebook comment from one of me Brighton pals - Brighton's so full of feckin Cockneys I'm off to Devon. Probably about right.

Edited by gruffydd