House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

fleabag

Am I Being Crazier Than Fried Chicken?

I have a very secure job earning 47k, 9-5 quite comfortable, can walk to work, but with a very small company and work with a bunch of middle aged women with whom I have nothing in common. Offered a job with a bigger company more younger people but 44k and 9-5.30 and the manager seemed like a bit of a oddball at interview.

My salary will not go up regardless of which company I work for and I know with inflation going up I should probably stick with the higher salary and lower hours but I feel like I need to have a change from days of dissecting last nights Eastenders!

I've been trying to weigh up the pros and cons so much I can't see the wood for the trees so just thought I'd ask opinions/what would you do?

I have a very secure job earning 47k, 9-5 quite comfortable, can walk to work, but with a very small company and work with a bunch of middle aged women with whom I have nothing in common. Offered a job with a bigger company more younger people but 44k and 9-5.30 and the manager seemed like a bit of a oddball at interview.

My salary will not go up regardless of which company I work for and I know with inflation going up I should probably stick with the higher salary and lower hours but I feel like I need to have a change from days of dissecting last nights Eastenders!

I've been trying to weigh up the pros and cons so much I can't see the wood for the trees so just thought I'd ask opinions/what would you do?

If you can't work that out for yourself - you're unemployable!

If you can't work that out for yourself - you're unemployable!

   Thanks for that useful contribution, try again:-

un·em·ploy·a·ble

–adjective

1.unable to find or keep a job.

I am many things but I'm not unemployable. I'm actually very good at my job.

Just wondered if people would consider taking a paycut in the current climate would be foolish.

Stick where you are. Sounds like you're prepared to walk away from the potential new job so just do it and see if they cave in on the money. Also don't just look at basic, consider pension, bonus potential redundancy payment in the worst case scenario. If you get on with the mddle aged women, then there's no issue. If it's a bird you're after, go get one, don't move jobs in the hope that it will precipitate women.

Edit to add, dissecting x factor or Calum best will be just as tedious

Just because the new job features a younger cast, don't expect the conversation to be much better than Eastenders. You could be in there with a load of Apprentice types, comparing wristwatches and brown-nosing the gaffer.

depends on if your happy....what is your ambition? job security or try to soar like an eagle ! i personally would like to do the best i could for myself . and you never know what opportunities the move might offer and you might not see the chance again. whatever you do best of luck. :)

Your choices:

- Stick with a comfortable job with dull but predictable people and known (if limited) prospects

- Take a chance with a lower paid job with longer hours, a possibly dodgy manager, unknown brats (?) and unknown prospects

Does that help ?

Your choices:

- Stick with a comfortable job with dull but predictable people and known (if limited) prospects

- Take a chance with a lower paid job with longer hours, a possibly dodgy manager, unknown brats (?) and unknown prospects

Does that help ?

it is easier than that

- stick with cushy job where you can soar like an eagle compared to middle aged soap watchers

- take a 5k haircut, have to pay travel expenses on top of that to work with younger staff which may involve p1ssing contests and office politics and have a new manager that you may dislike very quickly

It's only a couple of thousand, if that after tax? Not really significant as a proportion of your income, I wouldn't even factor in such a slight income drop if I were you when contemplating matters far more important, like your life enjoyment or job satisfaction etc.

Only you know how happy or not you are at your current workplace and if it would really be any better at the new one? Also can you walk to work at the new job? Personally I place a massive value on being able to walk to work, save in petrol, time, stress and get exercise.

I would compare the commutes and overall time away from home, having enough money is one time, having enough time is another.

Does the new job have free gym membership etc?

edit:

Only you know how happy or not you are at your current workplace and if it would really be any better at the new one? Also can you walk to work at the new job? Personally I place a massive value on being able to walk to work, save in petrol, time, stress and get exercise.

+1

How did I miss this?

I walk the direct mile to work, cycle around 8 miles (long route) and even run (various distances) and I would say I'm the least stressed and happiness person in my office. I even look forward to Monday mornings!

Stay where you are.

Find something you have in common with the people at work.

agreed. All those older women, I am sure that some would like the same things that he does :D

If you're serious about making the right decision, take a day or three annual leave, and spend that time at the new place getting to know the job and staff (assuming they agree).

Choosing the right job is a MAJOR decision. You will only appear more professional to the employer, and your current employer will be none the wiser.

But if you don't think it's worth the annual leave, then go ahead and risk your future happiness ;)

it is easier than that

- stick with cushy job where you can soar like an eagle compared to middle aged soap watchers

- take a 5k haircut, have to pay travel expenses on top of that to work with younger staff which may involve p1ssing contests and office politics and have a new manager that you may dislike very quickly

+1

Without further information, I'd say stay where you are. Sounds like a great job. Giving that up for a pond filled with lots of young sharks, a mad manager, longer hours + travel for less pay...doesn't sound like a good deal to me.

I think most corporate jobs are pretty awful so you may as well earn as much as possible during 9-5 and minimise any commuting costs

Changed jobs loads of times before i realised that extreme pressure, difficult people and corporate ******** are universal

I am now concentrating on activites outside of work and aim to adopt a kind of 'out of body experience' type approach to being in the office

I've highlighted what look like the key points to me.

If you want a change, fine, but IMO a job change should always be for something that is obviously better.

What you have described is marginal at best.

If you want a change so much, profit from the lower hours and do some evening training/classes, then apply for something that is a real improvement.

Is there an option 3 - Use your feeling of malaise and job dissatisfaction to go and look for another new job that pays better and offers better prospects/environment/colleagues than your current one?

Crazier than Fired Chicken, it's complacency which is very dangerous in the long term. You have to fight it with everything you've got

because it never ends well.

Tie yourself to the mast or end up lost forever.

the-siren.jpg

Are there any differences in pension provision?

Maybe start putting large doses of testorone in the tea, or maybe suggest they start taking steroids.

Within a couple of weeks they'll have beards, be talking footy and the office will take on a healthy manly smell.

Be careful not to insult them though as they'll acquire the muscles to rip your arms out of their sockets.

A serious point to make. When you change jobs you are on probabation and up to one years employment they can let you go without any reason. With you current job you will at least have some form of redundancy protection. It's a pretty big gamble in this climate, but then again maybe you are one of the few who can pick up another job easily.

The grass is always greener. But then again who wants to eat the same grass every day until you are made into a beef burger?