House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Realistbear

Ford Topple Toyota As Sales Surge

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/7ce669c4-1833-11e0-88c9-00144feab49a.html#axzz1ABgTR0ZF

Ford overtakes Toyota in US car sales
By Bernard Simon in Toronto
Published: January 4 2011 19:16 | Last updated: January 4 2011 21:31
Ford Motor overtook Toyota as the US’s number-two car maker last year for the first time since 2006, underlining the two companies’ contrasting fortunes over the past 12 months.
Ford posted a 19 per cent surge in sales, its biggest increase since 1984, while Toyota recorded a slight drop.

Fancy that. So much for the end of the US auto giants.

Ford is in a great position.

Many Americans are irate about TARP / Stimulus / ZIRP / Bailouts etc. Ford refused to accept direct government help and are now seen as heroes by many in the US.

Their progress is more at the expense of GM and Chrysler than Toyota.

In some countries, the population express their opinions with marches, banners and slogans. In others, they express their opinions through their purchasing habits. My personal view is that the latter is more effective than the former even if it doesn't make for good television.

Evidence that people are dumb? Fords are horrendous quality and have always been horrendous quality. It is why they have to advertise built to last to convince people that they have changed their ways. Which they haven't!

Nothing like a bit of misplaced hysteria about Toyota to rescue the US car industry.

Anyone who can't control a car whose accelerator is jammed shouldn't have a licence in my humble opinion.

Some silly buggers turned of their ignition when the celly jammed and they found their steering locked up!

For those with the presence of mind not to turn the engine all the way off to prevent a locked steering wheel found the steering a bit heavy.

Nothing like a bit of misplaced hysteria about Toyota to rescue the US car industry.

Anyone who can't control a car whose accelerator is jammed shouldn't have a licence in my humble opinion.

You have to remember Americans almost universally drive automatic cars, while Brits tend to drive manual cars.

I think that it was Bloo Loo that had an entertaining, and quite possibly accurate, perspective of the whole Toyota reliability fiasco in the US.

The media and Government blew everything well out of proportion, Toyota took it all on the chin, paid up bigtime and carried on doing what they do best..making good motor vehicles.

They have yet to shed off the bad publicity.

I think that it was Bloo Loo that had an entertaining, and quite possibly accurate, perspective of the whole Toyota reliability fiasco in the US.

The media and Government blew everything well out of proportion, Toyota took it all on the chin, paid up bigtime and carried on doing what they do best..making good motor vehicles.

Actually there have been major recalls in the US for Ford and GM, only 7 days ago Ford recalled most of its cars for crappy wiring which can cause fires. Yet do we hear a peep out of the media? of course not.

The US media is much like the BBC a propaganda channel. Thus anything NON American gets slammed, like RR engines blowing up in Indonesia. GE engines or P&W engines? Not a peep.

You should have a read of Fight club, the narrator was talking about Ford or GM.

One wonders what might happen to BP.

Actually there have been major recalls in the US for Ford and GM, only 7 days ago Ford recalled most of its cars for crappy wiring which can cause fires. Yet do we hear a peep out of the media? of course not.

The US media is much like the BBC a propaganda channel. Thus anything NON American gets slammed, like RR engines blowing up in Indonesia. GE engines or P&W engines? Not a peep.

You should have a read of Fight club, the narrator was talking about Ford or GM.

Will do.

You have to admire the American peeps for continuing to purchase American built vehicles tho'..

It still makes me cringe whenever I see an elderly person behind the wheel of a Tata Indica, sorry, 'CITI ROVER' here, talk about misplaced loyalty.

Bloo Loo was right on target with this IMO, it was all a deliberate, and obviously successful campaign to discredit Toyota.

It still makes me cringe whenever I see an elderly person behind the wheel of a Tata Indica, sorry, 'CITI ROVER' here, talk about misplaced loyalty.

What made me cringe was the fashion for replacing the EU symbol on registration plates with the English flag. Invariably it would be drivers of German or French cars doing it.

Quite.

I wonder how many lives Japanese cars have saved with the money saved from quality and reliability put to other more valuable uses.

Exactly.

I do wonder tho' who actually owns BP, perhaps the anti BP campaign, although justifiable given what we are allowed to know, was a misguided attempt to scuttle an organisition only because it was so named and an easy 'foreign' target to lash out AT.

I doubt that we ever learn the truth.

What made me cringe was the fashion for replacing the EU symbol on registration plates with the English flag. Invariably it would be drivers of German or French cars doing it.

I remember well my wife arriving home one evening rather upset as someone had gone to the trouble of putting a leaflet under a wiper blade on her recently purchased Honda complete with the blue EU/GB thing on the reg plates..leaflet stated that she ought not to be promoting the EU..nutters.

Great news!

Now Ford only have to recover from three years record losses (Culminating in $ 12.7 Billion 2006) and repay the humongous debts it incurred of $23.5 Billion on top of earlier and subordinated obligations to actually - at some time - earn a profit!

And meantime, as Toyota recover from negative PR and publicity, Toyota will still emerge as the biggest multinational auto manufacturer globally.

What happened to Occidental, the American owner of the platform which killed 167 people in 1988 ? I'm trying to remember the American outrage then.. how much did congress try to fine them.... ? Not a penny I believe.

Seemingly all's fair in love and US foreign policy :rolleyes:

Evidence that people are dumb? Fords are horrendous quality and have always been horrendous quality. It is why they have to advertise built to last to convince people that they have changed their ways. Which they haven't!

Went new car shopping a few months ago - looking for a small vehicle for Mrs Woods to go to work in. The interiors of the new Ford Fiesta's are very nice - well thought out, stylish functional, feature packed and much more modern than the Japanese/Korean equivalents. I was very surprised.

However, I couldn't get past Ford's history of building junk, so we bought a Toyota Corolla instead.

And the brakes virtually ineffective without the servo working?

Exaclty. A jammed accelerator is very hard to deal with in most modern cars due to steering locks and shut down of power steering and brakes. I recall having this issue with my '69 E Type where the butterflys on the twin SUs used to flip and lock in the full throttle position. Just had to turn the ignition off and was still able to steer the thing and brake. Scary moments though.

Ford do well here and seem to occupy the No. 1 and No. 2 slots with the Fiesta and Focus. Mondeo somewhere in the top 10.

GM's Astra and Corsa are also in the top ten here in the UK which makes 50% of the cars in the top 10 under an American banner.

Hard to belive all GM and Ford cars are rubbish. I drive a Mazda 6 myself and love it--far better all round than the Avensis I used to have. Mazda do not have much in common for Ford these days--20% ownership IIRC.

Exaclty. A jammed accelerator is very hard to deal with in most modern cars due to steering locks and shut down of power steering and brakes.

What's so hard about putting it in neutral and pressing the brake? Or on a manual car you could engage the clutch - if you press all three pedals simultaneously the car will stop while the engine races. Then you can turn off the ignition.

Below is what I posted on the hpc Bloo Loo's thread ' Corporate Wars Started?- campaign against Toyota...first shots

TIMELINE-Major global auto recalls

1971 - General Motors [GM.UL] recalls 6.7 million vehicles due to engine mounts that separated from the vehicle and impacted the throttle.

1981 - GM recalls 5.8 million vehicles due to loose suspension bolts that affected steering.

1996 - Ford (F.N) recalls more than 8 million vehicles to replace defective ignition switches that could cause electrical shorts and engine fires.

July 1998 - GM recalls close to 1 million Cadillac, Pontiac and Chevrolet cars because of fears the air bags could deploy by accident.

Aug. 2000 - Japanese tyre maker Bridgestone Corp (5108.T) recalls 14.4 million ATX, ATX II and Wilderness tyres installed on Ford's Explorer SUVs and sold separately in stores. The recall applies to all tyres produced at its Firestone U.S. division.

2004 - GM recalls nearly 4 million pickups because of corroding tailgate cables.

April 2005 - GM says it recalls more than 2 million vehicles to fix a variety of potential safety defects. GM says the largest of the safety actions relates to problems with 2nd-row seat belts on 1.5 million full-size pickups and SUVs from 2003-05 model years.

Oct. 2005 - Toyota recalls 1.4 million cars globally, including the Corolla and 15 other models, due to trouble with the headlight switching systems.

Dec. 2007 - Chrysler LLC says it would recall more than 575,000 vehicles as long-term wear on the gear shift assembly could cause a shift out of Park without the key in the ignition. The recall involves 2001-02 model-year Dodge Dakota pickups, Durango SUVs and Ram vans and 2002 Ram pickups.

Aug. 2008 - GM announces recall of 857,735 vehicles equipped with a heated windshield wiper fluid system that could cause a short-circuit.

Sept. 2009 - Toyota says to recall around 3.8 million vehicles in the U.S. because of floor mats that could come loose and force down the accelerator. The problem is suspected in crashes that killed 5 people.

Oct. 2009 - Ford completes a series of recalls affecting 14 million vehicles due to a faulty cruise control deactivation switch. The latest recall effectively closes out a 10-year saga over the switches.

Jan. 2010 - Honda (7267.T) recalls 646,000 Fit/Jazz and City cars globally over a faulty window switch after a child died in 2009 when fire broke out in a car.

-- Toyota's problems impact other automakers, too: France's PSA Peugeot Citroen (PEUP.PA) says to recall nearly 100,000 Peugeot 107s and Citroen C1s made in the Czech Republic at a plant where Toyota and PSA jointly make cars. [iD:nLDE60T0B9]

Feb. 2010 - Toyota announces that 216,000 cars in Germany, Europe's biggest car market, and 180,000 in Britain are included in the mass recall to fix an accelerator pedal problem. Some 8 million Toyota vehicles are now up for repair globally, including the floor mat issue. Overall, the unintended acceleration issue has been linked to up to 19 crash deaths in the United States.

-- Toyota prepares to recall some 300,000 hybrid Prius models after safety regulators in the U.S. and Japan launch probes into braking problems. The car, a pioneer in gasoline-electric hybrids, was Japan's top-selling car in 2009.

Was it the same one as my last post about this thread ? .. "Corporate Wars Started?

campaign against Toyota...first shots"

What's so hard about putting it in neutral and pressing the brake? Or on a manual car you could engage the clutch - if you press all three pedals simultaneously the car will stop while the engine races. Then you can turn off the ignition.

When the NTSB started looking at some of the "jammed" accelerators they found that the drivers had simply put their foot on the wrong pedal (much easier in an auto) and kept their foot on the pedal as they thought it was on the brake and in fact never touched the brake pedal before crashing, much easier to blame the manufacturer than give your self higher insurance premiums for life.

I couldn't help join in as I think the following is also significant.

'Ford’s F-Series pick-up trucks remained North America’s top-selling vehicle last year. The Toyota Camry sedan was the best-selling car for the ninth year in a row, but competitors such as the Hyundai Sonata and Ford Fusion narrowed the gap.'

I own a Hyundai Sonata and it's a great car. I think their sales leapt by something like 25% in the USA. I'm disappointed that Brits don't buy more Hyundai cars. They make great cars these days. Although they are something like 35% cheaper in the USA, and the range available in the UK is limited.

No, I have nothing to with them commercially, just a customer, and I have no idea what this has to do with house prices :)