House Price Crash Forum

Eastenders Baby Swap Storyline

Kyoto

HOLA441

A bit low brow for this forum, but has anybody been following the baby swap story line:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/tv-and-radio/tvandradioblog/2011/jan/05/eastenders-baby-swop-plot

But even they have a limit, and it seems like it's been reached with the soap's current baby swap storyline which saw Ronnie Mitchell – hysterical and grief-stricken following the death of her newborn son – sneaking into a pub to replace the corpse of her own child with the neighbours' baby. Between Ronnie's continuing psychological breakdown and the graphic bereavement of the Moons, who now believe their baby to be dead, sitting through an episode of EastEnders is impossible; a struggle even by the show's impossibly bleak standards, a gruelling test of emotional endurance that couldn't be any less entertaining if it tried. Depressing doesn't even come close. It's awful. And it begs the question of whether or not EastEnders has gone too far this time.

I only half follow it, but have been disgusted by this storyline. Watching one person lose their baby and then a second believe theirs has died. It's not entertainment and should be taken off the air.

HOLA442

A bit low brow for this forum, but has anybody been following the baby swap story line:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/tv-and-radio/tvandradioblog/2011/jan/05/eastenders-baby-swop-plot

I only half follow it, but have been disgusted by this storyline. Watching one person lose their baby and then a second believe theirs has died. It's not entertainment and should be taken off the air.

It's not very plausible as a plot, apart from anything else. Unless they arranged it so the duped couple had somehow never seen or touched their own baby, they might just notice that the dead baby looked different. :rolleyes:

HOLA443

Watched bits out of curiosity.

The mum was in hospital so had barely touched the baby and she does say it's not hers when she viewed the body.

Weird and one suspects it's the people who run the helpline are encouraging such insane ideas.

HOLA444

+1. I saw the 'death' episode more by accident than anything else.

It gives a very bad impression of the typical reaction of women who have lost a child in similar circumstances to 'Ronnie'. It is extremely rare that a woman faced with that would react by abducting someone else's baby.

How many poor souls who have lost their baby are going to have to put up with stupid people treating them like potential baby snatchers?

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447

Can I just remind everyone this is in fact a work of fiction..:rolleyes:

Unfortunately many people base their opinions on the drivel they watch.

In the past the soaps have generally been commended for their 'sensitive handling' of some of the more unpleasant things that life can throw at you, and how they have brought these issues to the public's attention.

When you've buried a baby the last thing you need is some ill informed idiot thinking you'll be a danger to theirs.

HOLA448

Unfortunately many people base their opinions on the drivel they watch.

In the past the soaps have generally been commended for their 'sensitive handling' of some of the more unpleasant things that life can throw at you, and how they have brought these issues to the public's attention.

When you've buried a baby the last thing you need is some ill informed idiot thinking you'll be a danger to theirs.

To reiterate, it is fiction.

While I agree that it is a tawdry storyline and should probably not have been aired, your point about people thinking that bereaved mothers might steal their baby is not a conclusion that can be reached from the storyline, since nobody actually knows that Ronnie is a bereaved mother. Such a woman, who is known to have lost a baby could never conceivably get away with suddenly turning up with a new baby after swapping her dead one for a living one since the fact of her loss is already known and the baby already buried. Only the truly dumbest of individuals could fear such a woman.

HOLA449

To reiterate, it is fiction.

While I agree that it is a tawdry storyline and should probably not have been aired, your point about people thinking that bereaved mothers might steal their baby is not a conclusion that can be reached from the storyline, since nobody actually knows that Ronnie is a bereaved mother. Such a woman, who is known to have lost a baby could never conceivably get away with suddenly turning up with a new baby after swapping her dead one for a living one since the fact of her loss is already known and the baby already buried. Only the truly dumbest of individuals could fear such a woman.

I happen to know that such individuals do exist, and there are more of them then you realise!

HOLA4410
HOLA4411

all babies should have a barcode tattooed on their belly at birth. It would prevent the misunderstanding and heartache we are witnessing on eastenders

LOL. Wouldn't it be better to put it on their right hand or forehead. More convenient for shopping :)

HOLA4412
HOLA4413

Over Christmas I was slagging my nieces about Eastenders - "awight wicky, shut it". Then they made me sit through an hour of the stuff.

Plot about a love pentangle, where the "damaged goods" is stitched up by an evil self-stabbing love rival and betrayed by her selfish mother, who covets her welfare baby. She threatens to throw herself orf the roof, but is saved by her bald, ageing lover - "fasands stuffed in me pocket, luv, you take care your sewf" - even though she doesn't luv 'im. The cops arrive as her rival bleeds onto the ambulance blankets, but she escapes when the real father of the baby denies her whereabouts.

Screaming. Shouting. Then someone stuffed a cushion in my mouth for the rest of the show.

Later on I fleeced them all in a game of monopoly.

HOLA4414

On radio 5 now.

Mumsnet jumped on the bandwagon and got prime time news time.

Interviewed a spokesperson of mumsnet, who towards the end said "I didn't see it, I'm just telling you what our members are saying".

So get someone on the radio to complain on your behalf who hasn't even seen it, well done mumsnet.

In the phone in the complainers got a bit of a kicking. Act of fiction etc.

I guess today is the 'cat rescued from a tree' no news day.

HOLA4415

On radio 5 now.

Mumsnet jumped on the bandwagon and got prime time news time.

Interviewed a spokesperson of mumsnet, who towards the end said "I didn't see it, I'm just telling you what our members are saying".

So get someone on the radio to complain on your behalf who hasn't even seen it, well done mumsnet.

In the phone in the complainers got a bit of a kicking. Act of fiction etc.

I guess today is the 'cat rescued from a tree' no news day.

This whole thing is a great example of how to distract the nation from things that really matter.

It's television, it's fiction, it's a storyline. Don't like it - don't watch it. What's the big deal?

TV has always been a circus with plenty of monkeys. And Eastenders are known to be a tv series for people with poor taste and no imagination at all. What did they expect?

People should read more books instead of watching TV.

HOLA4416

This whole thing is a great example of how to distract the nation from things that really matter.

It's television, it's fiction, it's a storyline. Don't like it - don't watch it. What's the big deal?

TV has always been a circus with plenty of monkeys. And Eastenders are known to be a tv series for people with poor taste and no imagination at all. What did they expect?

People should read more books instead of watching TV.

+1

I used to watch Eastenders, till I decided I'd had enough of it - that was about 8 years ago. The main problem is that people do believe this drivel, and believe that the way people act in Eastenders is an appropriate and normal way to act in real life. It's not normal - it just creates more candidates for the Jeremy Kyle Show - and I still believe that anyone who passes through the doors of that show (whether to watch in the studio audience, or to participate) should be sterilised by some magic radiation thing... although apparently it would be against their human rights or something...

The more I hear about the Eastenders recent storylines, the more amazed I am that people still watch it.

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420

Janus has announced today she's leaving EE. She gave notice when they gave her the script.

Good for her, I would have gone further and left before I had to act it out. It seems to have got so twisted where characters are there to be tortured. Wouldn't a storyline about the babies being accidentally swapped at birth (with no deaths) been more 'soapy' and amusing?

Then in 15 years time they could have had a good old accidental incest storyline.

Perhaps it is time that the Ronnie character emerged from the shower and it was all a dream?

HOLA4421
HOLA4422

Janus has announced today she's leaving EE. She gave notice when they gave her the script.

Jeez that is ******ing lame.

Thank ****** Anthony Hopkins didn't have the same thoughts when asked to do Hannibal Lector. Coz that was rather an unpleasant story as well wasn't it.

Or are films somehow different from TV soaps ? Don't see how myself. All just made up stories.

HOLA4423

Jeez that is ******ing lame.

Thank ****** Anthony Hopkins didn't have the same thoughts when asked to do Hannibal Lector. Coz that was rather an unpleasant story as well wasn't it.

Or are films somehow different from TV soaps ? Don't see how myself. All just made up stories.

I don't see from her point of view the character has much plot life after this anyway.

Somewhere says it'll all be resolved on screen over the next few months.

How can it end well for her character?

Short of waking up and it all being a dream?

HOLA4424

What is of great concern to myself and others with a brain is that this nonsense even earned a spot on ITV's lunchtime news: well, really what masquerades as news.

And an interview of the appalling woman from Mumsnet, who seems to everywhere on the media in the past few weeks: as a sort of Guru.

Ugly woman too.

Perhaps my deepest concern is those who buy into this utter crap can vote.......................

HOLA4425

I don't see from her point of view the character has much plot life after this anyway.

Somewhere says it'll all be resolved on screen over the next few months.

How can it end well for her character?

Short of waking up and it all being a dream?

But what has this got to do with the 'outrage' about this story ?

Her leaving should have nothing to do with the story in question - if it does than she is a pretty lame actress. Seeing as the whole point of acting is well......unless i have missed something.........to act.:D

Archived