Lepista

HOLA441
  • Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

I particularly like the cost of the "electronic typewriters", at between £100 - £200. (page 197)

...Or the C64 games console (page 224), at £190.

Just how much disposable income did people have in them days!!??

Thanks - this is great!

I wonder how many of those things were made in China???

HOLA443

http://www.flickr.co...ith/3593465768/

I particularly like the cost of the "electronic typewriters", at between £100 - £200. (page 197)

I recently read that the Fiver that a chart LP used to cost back then (CD's were about £15.00-£20.00) is the equivalent of £20.00 today!

HOLA444
HOLA445

A large percentage of electronic components in the 80s were made in Malaysia; if I remember correctly - which is unlikely.

Texas Instruments made a lot of stuff there at the time. Cricuit boards, plastic mouldings, assembly would still have been quite predominant over here though.

HOLA446

http://www.flickr.com/photos/38301877@N05/sets/72157619206330728/with/3593465768/

HOw much is a BigTrak? 24 squids here and now.

HOLA447
HOLA448

About 5 years ago I bought 2 simple "Malibu" bedside table from Argos and pretty sure they were £8.99.

When selling them on gumtree recently I took a look at their catalogue to see how much they were, so I could sell them on at a suitable price - they are now £25.

That's ~160% increase in 5 years isnt it??

HOLA449

I recently read that the Fiver that a chart LP used to cost back then (CD's were about £15.00-£20.00) is the equivalent of £20.00 today!

yes but I don't recall LP's being a struggle to buy. Perhaps because a huge amount of income is now paid over to the rentiers.

HOLA4410

yes but I don't recall LP's being a struggle to buy. Perhaps because a huge amount of income is now paid over to the rentiers.

A great point.

Disposable incomes after taxes and food, shelter and transportation costs have collapsed for many people in the last quarter century.

What seems like progress on the surface is actually a giant step backwards.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413

Has to be said, didn't take me long to find the lady in the shower (fourth one from the end, if you are interested)

Nice one you can almost see her baps !!

Ah takes me back to the days of sneaking a peek through the goodmans catalogue. The lingerie section was immense.

HOLA4414

I believe the first Beatles LP would be the equivalent of £25 today. I can remember when Bowie albums of the earlyish 70s were £1.99, they were considered very expensive. Nice artwork tho but slightly less attractive than the Roxy Music sleeves .... now they were glamour models. (Just a teenage boy at the time so questionable taste but proper leather football boots made in west germany was my main purchase of the year, lovely things.

HOLA4415
HOLA4416

http://www.flickr.co...ith/3593465768/

Quite a lot actually.

My own parents didn't earn huge amounts, father about £28k with overtime and mother about £15k with some overtime. But of course the mortgage taken out in the 1970s was only £100 per month. So allowing for tax they'd probably net £2400 between them, take out the following:

mortgage £100

Rates £35

Water £15

Electricity £20

Gas £20

Food £200 (family of 5 )

Fuel £100

Insurance £30

I reckon that would leave around £1480 for more discretionary items.

The equivalent now and you'd be stuffed. Rent/mortgage for the same house would be £1600 PCM, Council Tax £150, Gas £70, Electricity £70, Water £40, Fuel £400, Insurance £80.

That comes to £2410 and there lies sorrow.

HOLA4417
HOLA4418

I have had a good look through this catalogue and have compared to the latest prices on the Argos website and I am staggered at the fact that for many things the prices have remained more or less the same or have reduced. I havent got time to list all the prices but compare the prices of:

Camping Gaz stoves

Qualcast lawnmower (petrol version actually more expensive than equivalent in 1985

Toys such as Downfall/Operation

Dart Board

Ok, that is a small selection. At most things seem to be double now maybe. I reckon all that extra money we earn goes into housing, utilities, council tax and overpriced vehicles (and fuel)

HOLA4419

Ok, that is a small selection. At most things seem to be double now maybe. I reckon all that extra money we earn goes into housing, utilities, council tax and overpriced vehicles (and fuel)

Basically, we value survival. Shelter, food, warmth. The rest is fluff.

HOLA4420

A great point.

Disposable incomes after taxes and food, shelter and transportation costs have collapsed for many people in the last quarter century.

What seems like progress on the surface is actually a giant step backwards.

********. Disposable income, in real terms has increased 100% in that period. I posted a link to the charts a a week ago or so.

Edited by Peter Hun

HOLA4421

Basically, we value survival. Shelter, food, warmth. The rest is fluff.

We probably value water more if we can't have it. the important thing about renterism / landlordism is the restrictions that prevent peole geting access to what they want - hence tyhe price can rise to absorb all surpluses

HOLA4422
HOLA4423

In real terms?

A small amount of labour is now worth more goods (especially electronic goods)

In terms of basic liberty / time, dispossable income has without a doubt gone down since the eighties. An example is now that women must now work, while then many could rely on the incomes of their Husbands

Welcome to government doubletalk ..

HOLA4424

Are LPs a struggle to buy now? The ones I buy never seem to cost much on CD-WOW etc.

I think that people generally have a lot more "stuff" than they had in 1985 AND pay more to the "rentiers" than they did now.

Or if you wish to be poetic, the proceeds of economic growth have been shared between masters and slaves...

HOLA4425

I have had a good look through this catalogue and have compared to the latest prices on the Argos website and I am staggered at the fact that for many things the prices have remained more or less the same or have reduced. I havent got time to list all the prices but compare the prices of:

Camping Gaz stoves

Qualcast lawnmower (petrol version actually more expensive than equivalent in 1985

Toys such as Downfall/Operation

Dart Board

A fine example of why we ought to embrace deflation during times of technological progress as a sign of increasing prosperity.