House Price Crash Forum

Examples Of Why Amazon Will Always Do Well Over The Highstreet

HOLA441
HOLA442

Argos LG DVD recorder

compared to..

The same at Amazon

£132.76 v £105.76 (with free delivery)

Incidently getting one used or reburb would only cost £69.99.

Used / reburb Amazon

Why pay more.

But no reason why the High Street can't sell on Amazon. Amazon is a bit like a posh Ebay for retailers. You plug yourself into their online system. You might think you are buying from Amazon but in fact you are buying from an independent retailer.

This is the way things are going and we kinda had this discussion yesterday about Facebook (which isn't all about p*ssheads posting drunken pics of themselves online).

You can already plug your conventional business into Amazon and you will be able to soon (I suspect) with Facebook and various other social networking wannabee's.

HOLA443

Why pay more?

Well recently I've found myself deliberately paying more to buy things from real shops. I'm not looking forward to the day when u can't buy a game/cd/DVD when out shopping and have to wait 4 days for it to turn up. I also dislike all the big companies like tescos.

That said, amazon is a very good website.

HOLA444

Highstreet prices include wages and business rates, simply selling on Amazon would mean they would be forced to close and look for a warehouse location to trade from.

There is no way the highstreet can compete with online, no way not unless discounts in wages and business rates can be passed down to the consumer.

HOLA445

Argos LG DVD recorder

compared to..

The same at Amazon

£132.76 v £105.76 (with free delivery)

Incidently getting one used or reburb would only cost £69.99.

Used / reburb Amazon

Why pay more.

Firstly, Amazon is not always cheap - even on books. Sometimes I get cheaper books off WH Smith and used to be on Waterstones.com

Secondly, there is still a large group of people who don't do online shopping.

Thirdly, waiting for stuffs to turn up can be a real pain. Would you take a day off work to save £5 ?

HOLA446

What bugs me as a business owner is that business rates increased during the boom years. they need to be cut immediately to reflect the new reality of the bust years

They won't be.

it seems that paying tax into the public sector is more important that allowing business to breath, invest and grow.

It's nucking futs.

HOLA447

Why pay more?

Well recently I've found myself deliberately paying more to buy things from real shops. I'm not looking forward to the day when u can't buy a game/cd/DVD when out shopping and have to wait 4 days for it to turn up. I also dislike all the big companies like tescos.

That said, amazon is a very good website.

Albeit I do shop for PS3 games by buying from the used sections in shops, never new. I use Lovefilm to watch movies this works out to be half the cost of using Blockbusters for film rentals. Only if I really like a film and feel I would watch it again, will I buy it (off Amazon or Play).

To save £22 on a game I wouldn't mind waiting a few days for it.

Argos Fifa 11

Amazon Fifa 11

I could use the money saved to buy another one, whilst I wait for that one to come, im still playing this one, it isn't a problem for me.

HOLA448

Firstly, Amazon is not always cheap - even on books. Sometimes I get cheaper books off WH Smith and used to be on Waterstones.com

Secondly, there is still a large group of people who don't do online shopping.

Thirdly, waiting for stuffs to turn up can be a real pain. Would you take a day off work to save £5 ?

Yes, i've found examples of TV's which are more expensive on Amazon than the highstreet. Large items are different as with TV's, its nice to see a demo of it etc. Even then the sales is good to get a few bob off just like the Argos sales on now for example.

Being sensible on select items can without a doubt save a fortune over highstreet full price items at I have done with my TV and DVD HD recorder (all Panasonic). Which is why I don't feel quite so bad when I do have to buy something like a book which is cheaper on the highstreet.

In tough ecomonic climates such as this, the pool of online shoppers will only ever increase, drying up the highstreet further.

I have generally found having stuff being delivered is no problem what-so-ever.

HOLA449

Price is not always everything......customer service, retailer knowledge and most importantly after sales service (none of that premium call charges and press this and that looped music business) will see who lives another day...I was very impressed over Christmas, they were very helpful on the phone and replied timely to email re late delivery of goods and even offered to post replacements out when delivery was late due to the weather that was out of their control....well done bravo. ;)

HOLA4410

This is where Amazon is better than Play.com. With Amazon you can have the product delivered anywhere. I have my deliveries sent to work! Last time i bothered to check, Play only delivered to the billing address, and that means hassle!

HOLA4411

Highstreet prices include wages and business rates, simply selling on Amazon would mean they would be forced to close and look for a warehouse location to trade from.

There is no way the highstreet can compete with online, no way not unless discounts in wages and business rates can be passed down to the consumer.

Maybe no way that it can compete on cost - but the High Street could compete on service.

E.g. the other day I bought an audio system.

I would have much preferred to buy it from the high street, having listened to the damned thing first, but fat chance - in most stores the hifis are not even connected, and even if they are you can't hear the damned thing because of the booming bass from the surround sound demo TVs.

In days of old there used to be proper hifi stores (or proper hifi departments within larger stores), quiet places where you could make an informed decision. No longer.

So I got it from Amazon :(

HOLA4412

Price is not always everything......customer service, retailer knowledge and most importantly after sales service (none of that premium call charges and press this and that looped music business) will see who lives another day...I was very impressed over Christmas, they were very helpful on the phone and replied timely to email re late delivery of goods and even offered to post replacements out when delivery was late due to the weather that was out of their control....well done bravo. ;)

Paying someone £30 more for a product just because they smile and look nice, isn't a necessity for me, obviously faulty goods is another matter, but fingers crossed everything has worked perfectly on develivery, and i'm sure online businesses offer the same services as highstreet shops albeit a little more longwinded. But that the change you have to take.

Before I make any purchase I find internet reviews for that product, from people who have already bought. This might be the reason which has helped me make sound purchases, and dismiss products out of hand.

HOLA4413

Maybe no way that it can compete on cost - but the High Street could compete on service.

E.g. the other day I bought an audio system.

I would have much preferred to buy it from the high street, having listened to the damned thing first, but fat chance - in most stores the hifis are not even connected, and even if they are you can't hear the damned thing because of the booming bass from the surround sound demo TVs.

In days of old there used to be proper hifi stores (or proper hifi departments within larger stores), quiet places where you could make an informed decision. No longer.

So I got it from Amazon :(

Richer sounds are good...their staff are knowledgeable about the products they sell...people buy people.

Other electrical stores generally offer poor customer service from my experience, ask them a simple question to test their knowledge and they are dumb struck, then start looking for the box for answers...those types of stores you tend to go into to press the knobs, open the doors, feel the quality. They then go on to try and sell you a warranty that makes you think what faith do they have in the products they are trying to sell if they are expecting it to beak down before you have bought it.....so you leave to do a pricerunner. ;)

HOLA4414
HOLA4415

Richer sounds are good...their staff are knowledgeable about the products they sell...people buy people.

Other electrical stores generally offer poor customer service from my experience, ask them a simple question to test their knowledge and they are dumb struck, then start looking for the box for answers...those types of stores you tend to go into to press the knobs, open the doors, feel the quality. They then go on to try and sell you a warranty that makes you think what faith do they have in the products they are trying to sell if they are expecting it to beak down before you have bought it.....so you leave to do a pricerunner. ;)

Is there any harm in going for a demo, then buying it online? Or is that immoral?

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418

Argos are particularly good for white goods, but poor value for home entertainment and appalling value for computers.

Amazon are always worth a look, and ebuyer for computer stuff.

I bought a freezer last week and Argos were cheaper than anyone else by over 20 quid.

Also, I bought via the homebase website (they're the same company) during a 15% off promotion for another 20 quid saved.

Plus quidco for an additional 1.5% cashback.

For low value kitchen and home stuff, it is very hard to beat Argos or Wilkinson with online purchases due to delivery prices.

HOLA4419

People are talking a lot about demos and seeing the product in real life (and I suppose its good to form your own opinion), but what about technical blogs that review electronics, or reviews from people that have purchased the product? I have found this massively helpful when deciding what particular item to buy.

Another note about Amazon, oddly, one of their distribution centres is in Fife, hence the reason they struggled with deliveries a bit when it came to Christmas delivery, what with the snow etc. I'm just totally flummoxed as to why they put a distribution centre at the arsend of the country?!

HOLA4420

ebay is always good for a bargain. I paid £16 for this brand new high end card for my workstation as opposed to paying £373 or more for the same product online. For that saving I can live without any personal service :rolleyes:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270677980619&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

http://www.google.co.uk/products/catalog?hl=en&rls=com.microsoft:en-gb:IE-Address&rlz=1I7TSEA_en-GBGB315&wrapid=tlif12942351022331&q=Nvidia+quadro+FX+1700&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=12530257956589724231&ei=9HUkTYaVGNSJhQfDkrzGAg&sa=X&oi=product_catalog_result&ct=result&resnum=3&ved=0CDMQ8wIwAg#scoring=mrd

I also ordered a wooden playhouse from Argos for my grandaughter for xmas at £287. Argos then said it would take up to four weeks for home delivery because of bad weather so I cancelled the order. I found the identical item online at Waltons Sheds for £157 . They delivered free in two days of placing order with a free 5l of yellow fence paint. Excellent service.

HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424
HOLA4425

You don't get rained on, and no parking tickets... In fact, it's generally a lot quicker all round - 5 minutes browsing rather than 1 day tramping round all the shops trying to find what you want.

Shops - certainly for bigticket items where they will usually want to deliver it in 3 weeks - are now essentially show rooms for the etailers. Most of them are struggling to realise and monetise that fact.