House Price Crash Forum
or in excess of

Homes Under The Hammer

Just watched HUTH. A manager for a dental practise bought a 3 bed semi in Par. He put in new kichen, bathroom, floor tiles, replumbed and rewired. He also put in a new garage door and installed a new gch system. The programme kept emphasising that he did most of the work himself, but did not explain if he did the electrics and gch. I thought that this work was not allowed for the unqualified. Also, the finished product just looked too professional to have been done by the average diy er (or maybe i`m just rough). Anyway, the total cost of all this work was £3400. Before the improvements, he told Martin his budget was £3k.During his pre improvement piece to camera, he said it will be interesting how he will keep to budget, given the gch installation. Sadly, no explanation was given. Ridiculous.

Just watched HUTH. A manager for a dental practise bought a 3 bed semi in Par. He put in new kichen, bathroom, floor tiles, replumbed and rewired. He also put in a new garage door and installed a new gch system. The programme kept emphasising that he did most of the work himself, but did not explain if he did the electrics and gch. I thought that this work was not allowed for the unqualified. Also, the finished product just looked too professional to have been done by the average diy er (or maybe i`m just rough). Anyway, the total cost of all this work was £3400. Before the improvements, he told Martin his budget was £3k.During his pre improvement piece to camera, he said it will be interesting how he will keep to budget, given the gch installation. Sadly, no explanation was given. Ridiculous.

But its a ridiculous show. Daytime entertainment. The BBC has been taken to task before about faking programmes, but HUTH seems to be a special case.

Edited by Sir John Steed

But its a ridiculous show. Daytime entertainment. The BBC has been taken to task before about faking programmes, but HUTH seems to be a special case.

As for faking "reality" shows, did anyone see that nonsense on bbc3 last night. Cameras followed a group of girls and lads on holiday in Malia. "Unbeknown" to them, their parents were there also, viewing video footage to see what their offspring get up to. At the end of the show, the parents surprise their kids. You only had to see the fake surprise on the kids faces to know it was staged. I must get out more.

Edited by or in excess of

With being off work I watched a few of these for the first time in ages. Still shocking. Although there were a few people who had actually 'lost' money on their development. However for these profit was not important they wanted the house as a home and it would rise in value in the future anyway. :rolleyes:

Still the majority seem to be able to make easy money in the space of 6 weeks. Not exactly close to reality IMO. They also seem to be going back to people who they initially 'did' in 2006/2007 and returning with surprsingly good stories during such a poor period for property.

At least ITV do the 'Homes from Hell' stuff to offer an opposite view on this. BBC offer nothing of the sort. Zilch.

As for faking "reality" shows, did anyone see that nonsense on bbc3 last night.

Family Guy ?! NOooooooooooo

I thought it was real. Stewy is my hero. Or was.

You can do all this work yourself but you must get it certified by building control and/or a qualified installer.

You can do all this work yourself but you must get it certified by building control and/or a qualified installer.

Nothing needs to be certified. It's the law. Only when renting out a property would any thing need checking. You can do any work to your OWN property when selling, it's buyer beware and up to them to check anything out.

Of course the trouble with doing this type of work yourself it can cause death, so not nice to have on your hands. I have seen corgi registered work condemned by British Gas, qualified is not a guarantee of it being correct.

To the OP the parts only for a 3 bed heating system would run nearly £1k.

Edited by neil324

I`ve yet to watch HUTH where the purchaser has no links to the property/ building trade.If a purchaser had to pay "yellow pages" prices for work, they would be seriously out of pocket.

I have often wondered about the money they have spent on these places, you have to remember the quality of the materials is always cheap and won't last for more than a few years.

He must have kept the old boiler for that money too.

I have often wondered about the money they have spent on these places, you have to remember the quality of the materials is always cheap and won't last for more than a few years.

He must have kept the old boiler for that money too.

I love it when they skimp, and then say "its good enough for renting out." laugh.gif

I saw an extension /flat on HUTH the other day. The landlord had rented it out to a "friend" for £1000 pcm. He looked pig sick when the spotty faced estate agents said he could get £1400pcm for it. laugh.gif

Edited by Sir John Steed

Nothing needs to be certified. It's the law. Only when renting out a property would any thing need checking. You can do any work to your OWN property when selling, it's buyer beware and up to them to check anything out.

Of course the trouble with doing this type of work yourself it can cause death, so not nice to have on your hands. I have seen corgi registered work condemned by British Gas, qualified is not a guarantee of it being correct.

To the OP the parts only for a 3 bed heating system would run nearly £1k.

OK. Perhaps I should have worded that better. If you try and sell the house and the buyer is aware of recent changes, their solicitor should ask you for installation certificates or certificates from building control. For minor alterations, you could probably get away with 'it was like that when I bought it', but for complete refits, I think that would be difficult.

I have seen them misleading (lying?) in the past

http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=153542&st=18

Back then I emailed both Ofcom and the BBC to complain.

My emails were sent on the 27th October 2010.

Ofcom replied the following day.

Still nothing from the BBC.

It seems that they really are a law unto themselves :(

I occassionally watch it whilst doing my ironing. If ever there was a programme hyping the market this is it. The amount of work some people do for £5k is unbelievable.

I'm not too sure, but it seems a lot of dosh must be spent the top corners of the room, when some tosser comes into value it they walk into the room clutching a clip board, and immediately glance up, casting their gaze from one corner to the other.

I watched one on Monday two guys bought house/flat in 2007 and took almost three years to do up, finally rented for £1000 per month to relation, but told by the two estate agents (when they valued it,YOU KNOW HOW IT GOES) that they could get £1400-1500 per month, but they said they were happy with the £1000, WOT a load of tosh.

As for faking "reality" shows, did anyone see that nonsense on bbc3 last night. Cameras followed a group of girls and lads on holiday in Malia. "Unbeknown" to them, their parents were there also, viewing video footage to see what their offspring get up to. At the end of the show, the parents surprise their kids. You only had to see the fake surprise on the kids faces to know it was staged. I must get out more.

I was working for the production company that produced this while they were in the process of casting and the early stages of filming, and at that stage the kids definitely had no inkling of what was going on. I can say that for a fact as I sat across the office from them and until last night when I watched the episode, I was blissfully unaware that the parents were going on holiday to the same place. And my PM actually had to cover for their PM for a week and I spent an evening trying to sort accommodation for one of the programmes, so I should have known but didn't!

The kids might have had a suspicion something was up at the end when the camera crew are holding them in a strange location while waiting for the relevant parents to appear, but they went to considerable lengths to keep the programme's premise a secret before then.