House Price Crash Forum

Some Retailers Really Struggling Now

xux42

HOLA441

So traditionally on HPC we have accused the retailers of crying wolf - cautious before Christmas and exultant in Jan. over 'record' turnover/profits.

Which seemed to annoy most on here.

This year some are announcing dreadful figures for Dec.

So is joy unconfined on here now this cycle has finally broken and some (more) retailers have been cruelly exposed to be on their uppers?

NB I know little about retailing, just curious.

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446

Next made losses of 21M? I think only that much cos they bought less.

Overpriced sh*t imo.

+1

Prices up, quality down, kids clothes over the age of 5 mostly 'Mini ASBO'd chav' and 'Mini Hooker'...

My brother got me a voucher for my birthday in July. I've still got most of it, and what I did spend went on getting my OH some socks.

HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410

Has anyone thought anything other than come Jan the retailers are in for a big shock ?

It's like the new cars sales...they are dropping off a cliff...they brought forward all the new car purchases by offering discounts ( using our money ). The VAT rise will have brought forward many purchases and the retails will see a marked drop in sales.

I for one refuse to buy anything I consider a luxury, for the forseeable.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412

+1

Prices up, quality down, kids clothes over the age of 5 mostly 'Mini ASBO'd chav' and 'Mini Hooker'...

My brother got me a voucher for my birthday in July. I've still got most of it, and what I did spend went on getting my OH some socks.

Absolutely. There was a time when you'd be spoilt for choice every new season at Next. Now it's the same mass produced c4ck that gets reeled out every quarter. You can still pick up the odd quality peice now and again, if you're lucky.

after shopping with the OH, imho women's fashion and clothing has been dire for years now.

You're restricted to five looks:

1. Slut (so long as you've got the legs)

2. Jelly Fish

3. Pirate

4. Lumberjack/Hill Billy

5. Gypsy.

I blame Gok Wan.

HOLA4413

Average pay rise for FTSE bosses in 2009 was 55%.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2010/oct/29/ftse-boardroom-pay-soars

Their greed can only lead to price increases. The size of the market that can afford or will pay those increasingly higher prices must be diminishing. Next step is to cut costs i.e jobs to try maintain profit margins. Then there will be even less people buying.

HOLA4414

lets have a poll.

Who didnt get all the Christmas presents they wanted to buy for someone else, or didnt receive as the person was delayed getting it due to the weather?

how many christmas trees were replete with presents christmas morning?

HOLA4415
HOLA4416

Absolutely. There was a time when you'd be spoilt for choice every new season at Next. Now it's the same mass produced c4ck that gets reeled out every quarter. You can still pick up the odd quality peice now and again, if you're lucky.

after shopping with the OH, imho women's fashion and clothing has been dire for years now.

2. Jelly Fish

3. Pirate

4. Lumberjack/Hill Billy

5. Gypsy.

I blame Gok Wan.

I'll have you know that I've been sporting the pirate look long before NEXT and Gok Wan tried to popularise it.

HOLA4417

2. Jelly Fish

3. Pirate

4. Lumberjack/Hill Billy

5. Gypsy.

I blame Gok Wan.

Excellent post but those 5 "styles" need pictures before it could be considered a 2-page colour spread in the Mail

HOLA4418
HOLA4419

wtf is a jelly fish look?

You had to ask.......

For the record, I'm increasingly unimpressed by the offerings of the clothes shops. Compared to other retail sectors, where what you can buy now is generally nicer that what you could have bought say 5 years ago, they really have completely lost it.

Our Christmas tree was bit barer than normal, but more because of not travelling to exchange presents with family than not buying. Like many, we probably bought more on the high street and less on the web than we had planned precisely BECAUSE of the snow.

And the only luxury i want to buy now I cant because the (only shop in Europe) isnt restocking for a bit..... Wonder why?

HOLA4420
HOLA4421

So traditionally on HPC we have accused the retailers of crying wolf - cautious before Christmas and exultant in Jan. over 'record' turnover/profits.

Which seemed to annoy most on here.

This year some are announcing dreadful figures for Dec.

So is joy unconfined on here now this cycle has finally broken and some (more) retailers have been cruelly exposed to be on their uppers?

NB I know little about retailing, just curious.

Only on here could you you witness people cheering shops going bust and more working class people out of work.

Sad , very sad people.

HOLA4422
HOLA4423

Only on here could you you witness people cheering shops going bust and more working class people out of work.

Sad , very sad people.

its the middle class wipeout actually...squeezed margins means their investments are not paying off....yet their lending costs and rents, rates etc have all increased.

The joy expressed is not one of pleasure, but one of releif from the constant BS from the MSM

HOLA4424
HOLA4425

Next say their sales are down £22m due to "snow"

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/fashion-chain-next-say-snow-cost-22m-sales-2176467.html

In April it was reported the Next CEO's salary had doubled after he received a £1m bonus

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/epic/nxt/7599071/Next-boss-Wolfsons-pay-almost-doubles-after-1m-bonus.html

I can't help think that the FTSE salary excesses are leading to price increases and hopefully people are starting to refuse to feed them.