House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Doctor Gloom

Isle Of Wight Wightlink Ferries

Increasing the student seasonal and weekly ticket, but not just yet.

I suspect this means huge hikes in all tickets. Making the Isle of Wight even more expensive to get to and from. Holiday in the west country anyone.

I predict a tough time for the Island tourist trade and particularly mediocre Island attractions such as self proclaimed country park, Robin Hill, known locally as 'Robbing Hill' where unsuspecting tourists pay a lot of money to walk around what is literally a copse with a few cardboard cut outs of sheep and cows thrown in the bushes.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-12116289

Robin Hill, known locally as 'Robbing Hill' where unsuspecting tourists pay a lot of money to walk around what is literally a copse with a few cardboard cut outs of sheep and cows thrown in the bushes.

My kids loved it there (aged 7&3), lots of things to climb on and run around and would go back again.

What is the fare for a standard return fare now to mainland and back? Last time I looked it was around the £7 Mark.

Even if it went up a couple of quid I'd still consider it reasonable. Although that might be due to the large costs I incur getting off the rock I live on

What is the fare for a standard return fare now to mainland and back? Last time I looked it was around the £7 Mark.

Even if it went up a couple of quid I'd still consider it reasonable. Although that might be due to the large costs I incur getting off the rock I live on

Tie your clothes up in a bag, tie a rope to your waste, and swim for it, it isnt too far.

Last time I went, foot passenger to Yarmouth, £14. On speedy boat to Cowes, £18. Return, because the "oilanduurs" will always drive you out.

Eh? My kids love Robin Hill.

And it's still virtually free to anchor on Bembridge beach.

Edited by justthisbloke

It's the islanders more than the tourists who are going to take the real hit, I'd guess. After all, for tourists it's a one-off expense and a relatively minor one in the overall context of a holiday. But for the locals, not only do they have to pay it every time they wish to visit Blighty, but as all consumer goods come on those boats, then like the petrol duty hike the increased fares are going to drive up the price of everything.

Last time I went, foot passenger to Yarmouth, £14. On speedy boat to Cowes, £18. Return, because the "oilanduurs" will always drive you out.

Ouch, more expensive than I thought.

If you want to meet "oilanduurs" that will drive you out you should try the Isle of Man :-o

Edited by Gerinako

I've had to pay 70 quid return for just me, driving a ford mondeo estate, to go and do a 2 hour technical maintenance job on the island. Eye watering.

Edited by Live Peasant

My kids loved it there (aged 7&3), lots of things to climb on and run around and would go back again.

+1

We took the kids to the Med etc, but the one holiday they remember and talk about was on the Island.

Living there and being held to ransom, by the ferry companies, would pisss me off though.

Blackgang Chine when I was about 6 years old was probably the most wonderful day of my life.

We lived in Southampton but holidayed on the island, listening to an eight-track in my Dad's Cortina and eating scampi and chips from pub baskets.

Lovely memory.