House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

tboy

Recommendations For Area To Buy Within ~2Hrs From London

Hello all....as the title says, I'm looking to buy a weekend place, somewhere with some countryside I can chill out in whilst being a couple of hours maximum from London, where I work (I figure getting more than an hour away will cut the price by being outside the commuter zone for most folk).

Have money to buy a place but am still bearish on the property market and have no interest buying in Central London yet, but don't mind dropping say £300k on a nice little 3-bed cottage-type thing in a small village or something similar. But don't really know where to look.

Any nice areas out there you know of? I rarely get outside of zones 1&2 so don't know where to start !! Thanks in advance.

Sussex is nice, you will get what you're after within budget. Your money will go further in the more remote areas of Kent and Essex, but I don't really know these that well.

Try places along the Arun valley train Line (Bognor Regis) e.g arundel, billingshurst etc and surrounding villages.

Edit to add, why not just move out of London and commute, think about all that money you'll save by not renting.

A family friend had a weekend retreat on the Essex/Suffolk border (Stambourne and then later Cavendish) when I was growing up, and it always struck me how utterly rural and deserted that area was (i.e. not a Barratt estate in sight), yet geographically so close to London. The prices are probably stratospheric now, though, and I imagine that most of the local shops and pubs will have closed, leaving those villages like something out of a Quatermass novel or The Midwich Cuckoos.

Does this mean you will become a second home owner pricing out locals and leading to the decline of village services by not spending your cash there during the week :angry:

Strikes me that if you don't really know what or where you're looking for, £300k is an awful lot of money to 'drop' on something you may easily get bored with after a year when you discover the locals don't like you very much. (I'm sure you're lovely).

Why not spend a lot less cash doing some travelling about, renting the odd weekend getaway, and finding out what areas you like? I'm not sure why you'd want to tie yourself financially to a place you have no real connection to. What are you going to do when you're there that you couldn't do in a nice B&B?

Strikes me that if you don't really know what or where you're looking for, £300k is an awful lot of money to 'drop' on something you may easily get bored with after a year when you discover the locals don't like you very much. (I'm sure you're lovely).

Why not spend a lot less cash doing some travelling about, renting the odd weekend getaway, and finding out what areas you like? I'm not sure why you'd want to tie yourself financially to a place you have no real connection to. What are you going to do when you're there that you couldn't do in a nice B&B?

Very good advice.

I have never understood the second home purchase.

For the money you could live the life of Riley. Say you stay in a rural retreat at 60 quid a night (generous) for two nights a week (Fri-Sat), 300K would give you 2500 weekends, or 48 years (I know this does not allow for inflation). Although that halves that for a couple, that is still 24 years of weekends away, and you can move around too, see the land.

But the best part is that someone gets to actually live in the house in the village during the week, and you contribute to the rural economy through your B&B.

Very good advice.

For the money you could live the life of Riley. Say you stay in a rural retreat at 60 quid a night (generous) for two nights a week (Fri-Sat), 300K would give you 2500 weekends, or 48 years (I know this does not allow for inflation). Although that halves that for a couple, that is still 24 years of weekends away, and you can move around too, see the land.

But the best part is that someone gets to actually live in the house in the village during the week, and you contribute to the rural economy through your B&B.

+1

Very good advice.

Totally agree. Unless you have hundreds of k just sitting abuot doing nothing and you are mega rich. Then I can see the attraction of buying somewhere. Why not.

As for the OP - how about Paris ? Some bird on TV was doing just this last week. 2 hrs 15 mins on the train.

Try places along the Arun valley train Line (Bognor Regis) e.g arundel, billingshurst etc and surrounding villages.

Edit to add, why not just move out of London and commute, think about all that money you'll save by not renting.

Good shout, I went to Arundel a long time ago, might check the area at the weekend. As for commuting, I can't be arsed, I live close enough to walk to work and not being a morning person could not handle an hour+ commute in the mornings....

Does this mean you will become a second home owner pricing out locals and leading to the decline of village services by not spending your cash there during the week :angry:

If it's the only house I own does this still apply to me? :) Seriously though, I never bought into the anger (jealousy?) of those not happy with second home owners. It's a free market, anyone is allowed to buy what they want, why do I have a responsibility to the common-good to give up something I want to someone who can't afford it? As long as it's a level playing field, seems fair enough to me....although I do disagree with the council tax reduction given on 2nd homes.

Very good advice.

See above. Not my problem if I can pay more for something than someone else. And I think generally it would be nice to have my own pad to retire to at weekends with kids/wifey etc. I travel a fair bit anyway.

Totally agree. Unless you have hundreds of k just sitting abuot doing nothing and you are mega rich. Then I can see the attraction of buying somewhere. Why not.

As for the OP - how about Paris ? Some bird on TV was doing just this last week. 2 hrs 15 mins on the train.

I do have hundreds of k just sitting around. Good job and live a cheap life, been saving for years and never bought into the property bubble, just fancy a lifestyle change really. And as for Paris, no thanks. Eurostar is sh*tty + a rip-off, and Paris is just annoyingly expensive and a nightmare to find somewhere to go just for a cheeky pint. You can stick your little cafe bars!! Went there recently, and literally everything seemed twice the price of London. Yes I've got cash in the bank but doesn't mean I want to waste it.

Thanks all for responses though.

Seriously though, I never bought into the anger (jealousy?) of those not happy with second home owners. It's a free market, anyone is allowed to buy what they want, why do I have a responsibility to the common-good to give up something I want to someone who can't afford it? As long as it's a level playing field, seems fair enough to me....although I do disagree with the council tax reduction given on 2nd homes.

Have you ever lived in a place that you consider your rural idyll ?

You may well find that it is now populated by people like you who don't live there during the week and so there is no community, the shops have gone and the village school is struggling becasue there are not enough children, and traditional rural pursuits have been banned. You may call it progress, or just having what you want because 'you've got loads a money'. Well, money doesn't buy happinness.

And, while you may be able to afford it, you may find it is no longer what you thought. The church bells have been silenced and the cockerels killed because they made too much noise on a sunday morning, when you wanted your lie in, and as a result of changes like these and others the village no longer has a heart.

I really am not jealous or envious of you. I rent in a rural idyll and I am comfortably off. My difference may be that I have no interest in owning a house, which I consider a futile use of my money, akin to owning a cave. Mind you I have a few race horses and own their stables. I am just saddened that the real people (more real than me) who make the community around me, and do a decent days work for a decent days pay, cannot afford a decent home, apart of course from a condescending starter home built on the village outskirts that a second home owner would not shake a stick at.

This just about sums it up:

Helford River

the demise of tied accommodation is unfortunate

Very good advice.

fk that.

B&b's are alright if you have to but who would choose that?

They guy wants a place of his own to realax away from the city with his family. How relaxing is it likely to be finding a b&b every weekend, hauling suitcases around, cramming the wife and kids into a place and then being flung out at 10 am on sunday morning and wondering what the feck to do for the rest of the day.

Ashdown Forest is beautiful, it's where I used to live. Somewhere around Maresfield, Nutley or any of the villages near Uckfield, but not Uckfield itself. Close to London and the South Downs/coast. Beautiful part of the world.

fk that.

B&b's are alright if you have to but who would choose that?

They guy wants a place of his own to realax away from the city with his family. How relaxing is it likely to be finding a b&b every weekend, hauling suitcases around, cramming the wife and kids into a place and then being flung out at 10 am on sunday morning and wondering what the feck to do for the rest of the day.

Owning a second house where the fridge is empty when you arrive, that may get burgled when you are away, where no one cares about you when you are there, and where you may deprive someone of a home.

But, while you are staying at the house for two days a week and it is pouring with rain outside, you can at least congratulate yourself that you have enough money to own the shed you are sitting in. Well done, you have 'made it', you are a success, but you are ruin.ing the idyll you hanker after.

Me, I'd sooner have the cash earning money so that we can go where we please when we please.

As fof B&B, well, try farmhouse B&B, which in my experience at least isn't like you describe. Most farming families only use one room (the kitchen) and in my experience guests have the run of the rest of the house.

PS, all the places most people are suggesting in the SE I know very well, I would not class any of them as 'getting ayay from it'; they are now pretty much a suburbia in the countryside.

Owning a second house where the fridge is empty when you arrive, that may get burgled when you are away, where no one cares about you when you are there, and where you may deprive someone of a home.

But, while you are staying at the house for two days a week and it is pouring with rain outside, you can at least congratulate yourself that you have enough money to own the shed you are sitting in. Well done, you have 'made it', you are a success, but you are ruin.ing the idyll you hanker after.

Me, I'd sooner have the cash earning money so that we can go where we please when we please.

As fof B&B, well, try farmhouse B&B, which in my experience at least isn't like you describe. Most farming families only use one room (the kitchen) and in my experience guests have the run of the rest of the house.

PS, all the places most people are suggesting in the SE I know very well, I would not class any of them as 'getting ayay from it'; they are now pretty much a suburbia in the countryside.

It is easier to arrive with a loaf and some milk to put in the fridge than mess about with suitcases and a b&b.

what are you on about owning a shed? The guy is looking to spend £300k.

ruining the idyll? Life isnt fair, if the guy has the money and wants to should he refrain just so that some toothless local still cant buy a home because someone else with money will?

I couldnt think of anything worse than sharing a farmhouse, we did it when going to a friends wedding in cornwall and I hated every minute of being in someone elses home. There is no substitute for your own space.

Suburbia in the countryside sounds fine to me and I bet it does to someone living in London too.

what are you on about owning a shed?

Oh, I should have been more explicit, a converted cow barn

Still, you will be happy in the saloon bar and after your pint you can go home, close the door, marvel at the arrangement of your twigs, and talk to your friends on Facebook,

sorry, am I being stereotypical ? ;)

Oh, I should have been more explicit, a converted cow barn

Still, you will be happy in the saloon bar and after your pint you can go home, close the door, marvel at the arrangement of your twigs, and talk to your friends on Facebook,

sorry, am I being stereotypical ? ;)

if he chooses to spend his 300k on a converted cow barn then how exactly is that depriving toothless locals of affordable homes in their own villages? Surely he would be injecting a wedge of cash into the community, there would have been work for local trade and labour and the farmer that flogged the barn would have cash to spend in the local area.

I think that you are stuck with stereo types and a hatred of outsiders. Do all of the people in your village have a monobrow?

I think that you are stuck with stereo types and a hatred of outsiders. Do all of the people in your village have a monobrow?

You're the one that mentioned the toothless locals :P.

I believe some of the (mild) animosity here is borne of the fact that many of us on this site have enough trouble buying one home for a reasonable price, so helping someone who is fortunate enough to be able to buy somewhere nice outright in an area they don't know and are not attached to is perhaps a little hard to chew.

If I was in the same situation I would buy somewhere on the south coast and rent a cheap place in London in the week, but that's because I know I want to live near the sea and have a little fishing boat. Kind of difficult when my job is in the geographic centre of England.

You're the one that mentioned the toothless locals :P.

yes i did but only because his attitude and hostility was starting to remind me of the cornish.

I am unfortunate in that wifey has some very good friends who live on a farm in cornwall that we have to visit all too often. I have to listen to their sh1t about outsiders and townies and city boys all day long. And, they all have appalling teeth and many missing - the fuktards would rather their teeth fall out than visit one of those modern dentist blokes.

I just dont get the hatred even with the nutjobs on this site. The guy isnt looking to start a BTL empire, nor is he buying a second or third home. He hasnt got one at all yet but some dont let reading peoples posts get in the way of their soap box.

I have to listen to their sh1t about outsiders and townies and city boys all day long.

Really? What are their complaints?