House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

tonytramcar

Helpful Driver Clobbered

i wonder how you would go about proving that his intent was to warn of a speed trap.

Technically, a flash is used to indicate 'I am here' to other road users. I've been told by a police instructor that it is valid to use it as such in a wide variety of circumstances.

A helpful driver has been heavily fined for flashing other motorists to warn them of a speed trap - another example of vindictive officialdom.

link: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-humber-12115179

I have done this myself in the past - do other forum members do it ?

I do it and have been saved more than once by a helpful driver giving me a quick flash (ooooh err).

But I did know that if I was caught I would be told to stand on the naughty step.

I do, but the Filth claim that these cameras are only used in places where excess speed is dangerous, therefore I advise motorists that they are approaching such a place and that they should not drive at excessive speed. So really, I'm helping the Filth by doing it.

This is one of the rare occasions when I'm on the bogies' side. Drawing attention to other road users by flashing or beeping should only be done when it is essential to do so for safety reasons, and helping them to get away with breaking the law is not one of them. What if an oncoming motorist had been distracted by his flashing from seeing an actual hazard, e.g. a child running into a road?

If these motorists had been obeying the law they would have nothing to worry about and thus no need to be flashed at. If you choose to break the law, you do so at your own risk.

This is one of the rare occasions when I'm on the bogies' side. Drawing attention to other road users by flashing or beeping should only be done when it is essential to do so for safety reasons, and helping them to get away with breaking the law is not one of them. What if an oncoming motorist had been distracted by his flashing from seeing an actual hazard, e.g. a child running into a road?

If these motorists had been obeying the law they would have nothing to worry about and thus no need to be flashed at. If you choose to break the law, you do so at your own risk.

Whilst I dont disagree, my point was how would the law go about proving intent here?

Surely "Oh, I thought that he was going to pull out into my path and I was just flashing to alert him to my presence" or similar and any case they thought thay had is toast?

This is totally perverse logic.

By flashing them the driver is warning oncoming vehicles that they must obey the law. Technically, a good day for the police would be when they don't catch anyone doing anything wrong. Wouldn't it?

Well isn't the motorist doing the flashing helping to prevent excessive speeding?

This is totally perverse logic.

By flashing them the driver is warning oncoming vehicles that they must obey the law. Technically, a good day for the police would be when they don't catch anyone doing anything wrong. Wouldn't it?

I seem to remember hearing many times that the whole idea of cameras/traps is to deter not to generate revenue.

This seems to suggest otherwise.

The authorities would prefer to catch somebody breaking the speeding law, and punish them, rather than allow someone to prevent the law being broken in the first place.

Shows how twisted the authorites are with regard to upholding the law.

Speeding drivers are an easy target and so prosecuting them improves the crime detection rate statistics. Breaking the law is desirable when it can be used to make Plod's performance figures look good.

"I believe it is a total waste of police time. The court time is now at a premium and this case took the best part of a day. It is a total waste of public money."

I agree with this statement.

The Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) has defended its decision to prosecute.

A CPS spokeswoman said: "Cost is not a consideration in our decision to prosecute.

"When a file is provided to the CPS from the police, it is our duty to decide whether it presents a realistic prospect of conviction and whether a prosecution is in the public interest.

I don't agree with this statement.

If they want to do something in the public interest they can find the guy who stole my wife's bike 2 months ago.

Er, I don't know the situation in England, but around here, the cameras are operated by the Safety Camera Partnership, not the Police.

What if an oncoming motorist had been distracted by his flashing from seeing an actual hazard, e.g. a child running into a road?

This is parody, right?

A helpful driver has been heavily fined for flashing other motorists to warn them of a speed trap

I've just tried this myself. The Police responded by telling me to put my pants back on.

I used to flash to warn; years ago.

But I'm turning into a miserable old *****, and now think....'He He, that little speeding twaat is going straight into a speed trap'. :D

Funny how we become vindictive with age.

I

I used to flash to warn; years ago.

But I'm turning into a miserable old *****, and now think....'He He, that little speeding twaat is going straight into a speed trap'. :D

Funny how we become vindictive with age.

I

Who is this "we"? ;)

He should have said he was trying to get the screen wash to squirt and thought it was frozen so kept trying.

Oh and kept a straight face.

A helpful driver has been heavily fined for flashing other motorists to warn them of a speed trap - another example of vindictive officialdom.

link: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-humber-12115179

I have done this myself in the past - do other forum members do it ?

i always flash and one day i got tugged for it , copper asked what the feck i was up to , i just said yeah whats the chances of seeing six of your mates driving down st andrews road in a line ! acted abit thick a was promptly on my way ! stupid tw4t. :lol:

I struggle to see the difference between what the driver did and the fact that on some stretches of road there are signs indicating where speed cameras are placed. Both serve the same purpose, i.e to warn the drivers not to speed as there are tax generators placed ahead.

I do, but the Filth claim that these cameras are only used in places where excess speed is dangerous, therefore I advise motorists that they are approaching such a place and that they should not drive at excessive speed. So really, I'm helping the Filth by doing it.

Likewise, I do it and always will.

If their intention is not to collect revenue but increase road safety then why would they object to drivers being warned that they are there? That is, after all, why static cameras are painted bright yellow.

Interesting what he was charged with. Can't have had a very good Lawyer coz he surely could have got off with it ?!