House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

interestrateripoff

The £1Million Cost To The British Taxpayer Of Caring For The World's Fattest Man

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1343911/Broken-heart-worlds-fattest-man-Paul-Mason-70-stone-cost-taxpayer-1m.html

* He ate 20,000 calories a day - ten times the recommended intake for a man

* £100k-a-year care costs have racked up £1m bill for taxpayers

* 'I've always said there's a thin man inside all of this packaging'

The world's fattest man has told how the break up of a relationship with an older woman spurred him to binge eat his way to 70 stone. But it is the British taxpayer who should be the one feeling heartbroken.

Paul Mason, from Ipswich, was given life-saving bypass surgery last year and now weighs a comparatively slim 37 stone. But his care bill costs taxpayers an estimated £100,000 a year and is believed to have topped £1million over the last 15 years

The 50-year-old former postman, who now travels by motorised wheelchair after being bedridden for years, claims his gargantuan size was not down to greed but the heartbreak he went through in his youth.

HIS FRIDAY ORDER AT AN IPSWICH FISH AND CHIP SHOP

Four large cod

Four battered sausages

Six large portions of chips

Two pies

Mushy peas and curry sauce

All washed down with bottles of Coke

So this guy has cost £1m if the article is to be believed. Should there be an upper limit to what the NHS will pay for? I read someone posted on here that Singapore you get $200,000 to fund your healthcare for life and once it's gone it's gone. The compasionate side of me would went exemptions for those seriously ill through no fault of their own, ie I would imagine that cystic fibrosis sufferers would get through this money pretty quickly, same with those who've got kidney failure etc....

I know this guy is an extreme example, but should there be a limit to what the NHS will pick up the tab for? Should assessments be made as to how responsible you are for your own health and limits placed on what help your going to get for free?

Difficult choices but the money is clearly limited should someone who has essentially eaten themselves to this state be given a blank cheque on the NHS?

At what point should the state become tough and simply say you've got yourself in this mess we aren't a nanny, sort yourself out, get your family to look after you we are no longer going to ask the taxpayer to foot the bill.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1343911/Broken-heart-worlds-fattest-man-Paul-Mason-70-stone-cost-taxpayer-1m.html

So this guy has cost £1m if the article is to be believed. Should there be an upper limit to what the NHS will pay for? I read someone posted on here that Singapore you get $200,000 to fund your healthcare for life and once it's gone it's gone. The compasionate side of me would went exemptions for those seriously ill through no fault of their own, ie I would imagine that cystic fibrosis sufferers would get through this money pretty quickly, same with those who've got kidney failure etc....

I know this guy is an extreme example, but should there be a limit to what the NHS will pick up the tab for? Should assessments be made as to how responsible you are for your own health and limits placed on what help your going to get for free?

Difficult choices but the money is clearly limited should someone who has essentially eaten themselves to this state be given a blank cheque on the NHS?

At what point should the state become tough and simply say you've got yourself in this mess we aren't a nanny, sort yourself out, get your family to look after you we are no longer going to ask the taxpayer to foot the bill.

They only say that if you become genuinely ill with something that isn't really attributable to lifestyle.

The NHS is a centre of excellence when it comes to treating lifestyle choices - boob jobs, hymen repairs, tatoo removal, gastric band, tummy tucks, sex changes, surfing holidays..........

Perhaps the NHS could sue the person who fed him all that food. Let's face it, after a certain point he'd have been incapable of going out to buy it himself.

If the lights go out - stick a wick in him. He would be the longest burning candle ever :lol:

I think there is a tv program about him coming up soon.

Clearly there is a point at which greed and mental illness/disorder blur into one another.

A question- would the people who would refuse treatment to this man also refuse it to anorexics?

I don't have answer myself, but am interested in views.

One thing I don't get though. He is basically bedridden, so who is bringing him all that food?

"On previous diets, mr mason has been limited to four pints of milk flavoured with Oxo each day"

a meat-shake?

mmmmmmmmmm!

i remember watching a programme, bodyshock or something, about an american fatty who was about this size. He'd just got back from the hospital and was making his way from the car back inside when he says..

"ooohh. mama, ah just shát myself"

Poor mama - what a life she has! Still it was actually her feeding the fatty, so cleaning up his mess is the least she can do.

Mental.

this is one of the most clear demonstrations of benefits dependency I have come across

if it wasn't for the benefits system then this man could not have stayed so fat

I wonder how many professional do-gooders have been gainfully employed by that £1million? they are the true bad-guys, this fella is just a victim used to justify others' jobs

To rephrase this another way: there is no limit to human compassion, but there is a limit to how much we can (will) spend on the NHS.

The current system is broken, as by denying the simple reality of finite spending, we are forcing the NHS to make cuts elsewhere for us.

E.g. we can spend a fortune on a heart transplant, but at the same time we have nothing left to clean the wards properly - and patients die.

Disclaimer: in 2010 I had 3 close friends/family members diagnosed with cancer... just saying that before anyone shouts "wait till it happens to you!" :(

He'll have the last laugh when the supermarket shelves are empty during hyperinflation. The guy could probably live for around a year on nothing but water and vitamins.

this is one of the most clear demonstrations of benefits dependency I have come across

I wonder how many professional do-gooders have been gainfully employed by that £1million? they are the true bad-guys, this fella is just a victim used to justify others' jobs

Agreed. He is simply an extreme example of how welfarism is no longer a safety net (or even a hammock) for the sick but a huge Moby-Dick sized whaling net supporting vast numbers of functionaries, health workers, professional do-gooders etc. It's the same with the justice system - it is mainly a money spinner for lawyers, social workers, etc.

It beats me where these lardarses get the money from. That fish shop order must be getting on for £35.

Does he fetch the food himself? No, he almost certainly has an enabler.

Have to agree. As a recovering alcoholic I recognise the fault of the helpers.

They are infact enablers.

If left to his own devices years ago, this man would have reached rock bottom and with a bit of sensible help recovered.

As far as I can see, as another poster has pointed out, obesity tends to be self limiting. The fatter you get, the less chance you have of getting hold of food,

He was transferred to a sorting office where he worked until 1989 when he was sacked and imprisoned for six months for stealing from customers' letters.

He is a THIEF! This is the story of a greedy and very stupid man.

http://www.dailymail...axpayer-1m.html

The bloke has been picked out, brainwashed or hypnotised (like Hitler was) and used as a proxy symbolic pawn due to his surname!

The Ipswich logo is a White Horse and is one of the furthest towns to East of UK.

Both the 'East' and a 'White horse' are references to Biblical stuff!

What is this crap doing on front page of HPC?

The bloke has been picked out, brainwashed or hypnotised (like Hitler was) and used as a proxy symbolic pawn due to his surname!

The Ipswich logo is a White Horse and is one of the furthest towns to East of UK.

Both the 'East' and a 'White horse' are references to Biblical stuff!

:rolleyes: Nurse!!

Two comments;

The first line (the one with the URL) tells you everything you need to know about this 'story'

The second comment (giving in and allowing my buttons to be tickled and stroked, if not exactly pressed) is that he claims it is all down to having his heart broken when he was younger. Brushing aside the thought that 'Who hasnt had their heart broken when younger, and how many end up using it as an excuse to pork their way up to 70 stone in later life?' the phrase 'There was something Nasty in the woodshed...' springs to mind for some reason.

Paul said he wants to have a female companion and revealed he has a friend he has become close to.

This is great news but it appears he doesn't have a pen1s.

I've often wondered how obese people go to the toilet. It must get stuck in the fat? Do they hoover it out with an industrial pump?

I've often wondered how obese people go to the toilet. It must get stuck in the fat? Do they hoover it out with an industrial pump?

I must say i've never wondered about this, and still dont want to wonder about this.

I worry for you that you often do.:unsure:

I must say i've never wondered about this, and still dont want to wonder about this.

I worry for you that you often do.:unsure:

His carers must have to do the clean up. There's not enough money or big enough gloves for this type of job. I hold my breath changing the cat litter.