House Price Crash Forum

Can I suggest when we do buy we buy from smaller companies? If we keep feeding the larger companies they will just take over more of the smaller companies and then be able to charge more as they face less competition.

Take Reckitt Benkiser, if someone at the firm can allegedly make £90m in one year if you buy something of theirs aren't you feeding their salary excesses and world dominance?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2010/apr/07/profile-bart-becht-reckitt-benckiser

Therefore try products from smaller firms and avoid any of their products:

19 "Powerbrands"

Vanish

Calgon

Woolite (Carpet business sold to Bissell Inc. in 2004)

Lysol

Dettol

Durex

Scholl

Cillit Bang

Harpic

Finish (previously Electrasol in North America)

Air Wick

Mortein

Strepsils

Mucinex

Nurofen

Gaviscon

Veet

Clearasil

French's

17 of these "Powerbrands" accounted for 70% of Reckitt Benckiser's net revenues in 2009:[42]

This is a list of other brands owned by Reckitt Benckiser:

Aerogard

Amphyl

Bonjela

Brasso

Brio

Bryza

Calgonit

Cattlemen's

Ceraclen

Cherry Blossom

Chore Boy

Clean and Smooth

Cling

Cling Free

Cobra Brilliant Shiner

Colon

d-Con

Coral

dip-it

Disprin

Dosia

Easy-Off

Easy On

Elena

Frank's Red Hot

French's Foods

Glass Mates

Glass Plus

Glassex

Hoffmann's

Intima Liasan / Intima Bidex

Kalia

Kaltron

Lanacane

Lanacort

Lanza

Lemsip

Lewis Red Devil

Lime-A-Way

Lovela

Masterpiece Metalist

Mop & Glo

Mr. Sheen

Mr. Min

Nenuco

Neutra-Air

NoSalt

Noxon

Nurofen for children

Old English

Perk

Poliflor Pratic

Poliflor Maximo Brilho

Precision Blend

Quanto

Resolve

Rid-X

Robin Blue

Sagrotan

Sani Flush

Senokot

Sipuro

Spray 'n Starch

Spray 'n Wash

Suboxone

Vani-Sol

Vitroclen

Vivid

Wenol

Windolene

Wizard

Yes

Zud

meh I have not spent more than £20 in any month on tat. Real ale on the other hand ... still even that its fast becoming an expense I could do with out, with some pubs flaunting 2.50-3.00 a pint. Wetherspoons still doing it cheap but the strong ones have been rubbish for 2 years now :/.

...freecycle is quite good. ;)

Agree. It's now called Freegle in many places. All listed items are free. Nobody is allowed to sell.

You can recycle useable stuff you no longer need - the person who wants it comes to collect so no driving to the tip.

People give away some really good things - furniture, loads of kids stuff, pushchairs, some clothes, TVs, garden equipment, building bits, all sorts. You can post a wanted ad if you need something - we got a really good tall cupboard this way.

Edited by FedupTeddiBear

I've started 2011 as I intend to go on by returning £50 of clothes presents to M&S - the pair of jeans/trouser jobs - never seen such a thin bloody jeans material in my life, maybe they were "designed" that way, nevertheless looked and felt crap so back they go. So current year expenditure is negative (on shop goods). :lol:

Good start, must do better and sell off a load of stuff and see how long I can be a net insumer.