House Price Crash Forum

Join The Buyers Strike...

HOLA441

VAT increase.

Stop buying non-essentials, either by choice of because you cant afford them.

If people stop en-masse in a month or two they will see their folly and reverse their decision.

Not only can we now not afford houses, we cant afford to put furnish them.

Gotta laugh :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

HOLA442
HOLA443

Household budgets under pressure = more forced sales.

I'll keep the vat rise thanks!

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

I guess the cost of petrol must be doing the most damage, especially outside london where people rely on their cars.

Increase disposable income by dropping interest rates to 0, then take that disposable income away with inflation...then what.....whack up interest rates to 5% and have even bigger falls than we would have had 3 years ago.

F**king genius.

HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412

I am going on a one man buyers strike.

I don't drive, drink, or smoke, and am pretty much maxed out with all of the clothes, gadgets, and big ticket items that I need or want.

It's also my new years resolution to stop buying food out and eating processed food which can save a lot.

I'm not sure if I'm getting tighter in my old age or if all of the bearish news is getting to me, but prices on discretionary items just feel as though they are crossing some line for me where it ceases to become worth it.

Edited by Kyoto

HOLA4413

I am going on a one man buyers strike.

I don't drive, drink, or smoke, and am pretty much maxed out with all of the clothes, gadgets, and big ticket items that I need or want.

There are always new and/or improved (bigger, shinier, this season's colour) gadgets just around the corner.

You seem to be asserting your gadget desires are sated because you have gadgets, implying there's an underlying longing; perhaps one that can be tempted by novelty (with suitable marketing to go along with it, natch).

The trick is to get over the desire for gadgetry itself. If you're there already, great! If you're not, it will be interesting to see how your plan works out! :)

HOLA4414

Was looking at a telly, would be £400 ish at least.

However now I'm buying a 28'' old widescreen CRT from the local charity shop, £40. Take that..

You've not yet bought it correct?

I sold my 28" Sony CRT on EBay for £1 and offered £1 cash back for collection only!

I'm in on this campaign and was doing so anyway.

Edited by tomposh101

HOLA4415

Household budgets under pressure = more forced sales.

I'll keep the vat rise thanks!

Surely a buyers strike would have a much greater effect on forced sales as people lose jobs and the government has to make cuts instead of raising taxes. Too much inflation will eventually lead to wage inflation and then it's game over for HPC.

HOLA4416

Surely a buyers strike would have a much greater effect on forced sales as people lose jobs and the government has to make cuts instead of raising taxes. Too much inflation will eventually lead to wage inflation and then it's game over for HPC.

Game over for HPC maybe but wage inflation would lead to greater house affordability surely? That's what we want right :)

HOLA4417

There are always new and/or improved (bigger, shinier, this season's colour) gadgets just around the corner.

You seem to be asserting your gadget desires are sated because you have gadgets, implying there's an underlying longing; perhaps one that can be tempted by novelty (with suitable marketing to go along with it, natch).

The trick is to get over the desire for gadgetry itself. If you're there already, great! If you're not, it will be interesting to see how your plan works out! :)

Good point, well made. I do actually like gadgets so may have my head turned.

Guess I'm like a lot of people nowadays though in that I have the main bits such as nice laptop, tv, phone etc, and not really lusting after anything in 2011.

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420

If there was a concerted buyer strike for 2 months, it would work. I'm not familiar with Facebook and the like, but I would have thought that would be a platform to get the message out. Personally, after a bit of a splurge last year (useful stuff, expensive tools that could earn me a living), I'm done. On a diet, drinking less, spending nothing on tat. My only vice is petrol.

The government needs to get the message that we are fed up with being taxed to oblivion while they waste the money on expenses and ludicrous schemes. Surely everyone is capable of deferring their iPad purchsse for a month or so?

HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423

No VAT on drugs and strippers?

They're still ok to buy?

This reminds me of a night in London at a very well known, members only Euro Trash top nightclub.

With an Italian customer at midnight wanting to see the eye candy. There was none! Unusual to say the least. My Italian customer asked the Italian barman where the totty was. His reply, "they've left, now all in Geneva following the money" :P

No girls, fewer men. Fewer men spend less on drink. Running a nightclub is easy isn't it.

Cannot comment on the drugs as I know nothing on the subject.

The girls...top hooker (and I mean top), £2000 for the night. Now £1500 I am reliably informed

HOLA4424
HOLA4425

Need to buy a new floor which will be about £500, after that I'm out.

Possible apart from 2nd hand CD's but I don't think their is VAT on them yet.

The retailer has to pay VAT using the second hand goods margin scheme. That is they pay VAT on the difference between what they bought it for and what they sold it for.