House Price Crash Forum

Home Insurance Question

GBdamo

HOLA441

Friend's house is flooded over Xmas which passes through the wall causing water damage to the neighbour’s carpets.

Now, the insurance company are claiming that the neighbour (single pensioner) will have to claim off her own insurance, losing her no claims and paying her excess. However, while not being the same company, the insurers have the same underwriter.

To me it would appear that this is a little underhand as the phone drone as already admitted that the neighbour’s insurer will claim off of my friend’s insurer.

Anyone have any inside knowledge on whether this is correct?

HOLA442

Friend's house is flooded over Xmas which passes through the wall causing water damage to the neighbour’s carpets.

Now, the insurance company are claiming that the neighbour (single pensioner) will have to claim off her own insurance, losing her no claims and paying her excess. However, while not being the same company, the insurers have the same underwriter.

To me it would appear that this is a little underhand as the phone drone as already admitted that the neighbour’s insurer will claim off of my friend’s insurer.

Anyone have any inside knowledge on whether this is correct?

Hi yes I am afraid this is correct. A policy covers damage to your own property not anyone elses. The neighbour's insurer may then claim off your friend but this will only be possible under the liability section of the policy and negligence most be shown by your friend.

HOLA443

Hi yes I am afraid this is correct. A policy covers damage to your own property not anyone elses. The neighbour's insurer may then claim off your friend but this will only be possible under the liability section of the policy and negligence most be shown by your friend.

Thanks for the reply, seems a little off to me. With both companies underwritten by the same underwriter it seems this old dear will be out of pocket for something that is not within her control.

HOLA444

Thanks for the reply, seems a little off to me. With both companies underwritten by the same underwriter it seems this old dear will be out of pocket for something that is not within her control.

No expert, but does she have legal cover under her home insurance? She could go after your friend's insurer for restitution perhaps if she does.

HOLA445

No expert, but does she have legal cover under her home insurance? She could go after your friend's insurer for restitution perhaps if she does.

The legal cover would not be valid as her insurer is the same underwriter as her neighbour so they would not bring an action against themselves.

HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448

I guess that her only option would be to sue the OP's friend for negligence, e.g. claiming that his or her failure to keep their water system in a proper state of repair resulted in the burst pipe that in turn resulted in damage to the neighbour's property. However, I'd have thought that the friend would have quite a convincing 'act of God' defence, given that temperatures have recently been at 200-year lows in some places.

HOLA449

I know this sounds trite, but from my experience, insurance is designed, so that it is almost impossible to make a claim.

I hate insurance salesmen(women) and would put them in the following order of hatred:

Bankers

Christians

Estate Agents

Insurance Agents

Doctors

Chimney Sweeps

(Actually my chimney sweep is great, and I added him to the list because I know he reads this forum) :D

HOLA4410

I know this sounds trite, but from my experience, insurance is designed, so that it is almost impossible to make a claim.

I hate insurance salesmen(women) and would put them in the following order of hatred:

Bankers

Christians

Estate Agents

Insurance Agents

Doctors

Chimney Sweeps

(Actually my chimney sweep is great, and I added him to the list because I know he reads this forum) :D

Thanks Dave. :(

Archived