House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  

Hole In Carpet

We've just moved into a property with a private landlord. When we viewed it, the carpet in the lounge was fine (bit grubby, but ok). After we signed the contract (no inventory), the previous tennant burnt an iron shaped hole in the lounge carpet, and filled the hole with a bit of the same carpet. The repair is a bit shoddy, very obvious, and not somewhere you can hide it with a rug or furniture.

So... what do I do? Put up with it? Insist it is repaired or replaced professionally?

The landlord and landlady seem very nice (this is their only property), and I don't want to sour the relationship so soon.... but if we'd seen the hole before signing the contract we would have insisted it was repaired.

Just ask your landlord for a new carpet. Carpets are very cheap these days, probably 2-3 hundred for a lounge at reasonable quality. If you have signed for 12 months shouldn't be much of an issue. Explain that you will keep the property in a good standard and that they will have to replace it anyway if you leave.

Cheers, I think you're right. It the carpet also smells of dogs and cats.... which we couldn't really say for certain until after the previous tennant had moved out, taking the animals with her. So that is another reason to get rid of it. The landlord/lady are dog owners... so they probably can't smell the carpet.... grrrr...

There is another issue which I'm about to post up for advice... once that is sorted I'll ask about the carpet.