House Price Crash Forum
Realistbear

New-Job Creation Index Declines

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-01-04/u-k-new-job-index-falls-led-by-drop-in-public-sector-demand-reed-says.html

A U.K. gauge of new jobs dropped this month as demand for workers in the public sector plunged, recruitment company Reed said.
The Reed Job index fell to 104 from 111 in November, the London-based company said in a report today. The index for public jobs dropped to 42, the lowest since the index began in December 2009. A gauge of salaries increased, boosted by the consultancy, retail and banking industries.
Britain’s government is counting on the private sector to boost payrolls as it cuts public jobs to reduce the record budget deficit.

When homeowners (renters from bank) lose jobs the option to ride out the HPC disappears and houses start to flood the market in a race to see who can sell before prices drop further.

Jobs are THE trigger in any HPC.

Where are these private sector jobs coming from? The amount of hard cash being removed from the economy by the cuts must exert a downward pressure on demand.

Somebody explain to me how this is not true.

Where are these private sector jobs coming from? The amount of hard cash being removed from the economy by the cuts must exert a downward pressure on demand.

The private sector jobs can only come when we can compete with china at some level. Im seriously concerned that everything i bought over Christmas was clearly marked as made in china. Fundamentally we have a lack of surplus which is causing the debt. People use debt instead of surplus to masquerade as wealth. We need to bring the cost of living right down including taxes. This will mean reduction in public spending. Just printing money to give to PS workers to spend is not the solution. Its the problem. Weve been stuffing the economy with non productive jobs to hide the truth.

Hard cash isn't being removed from the economy. Government borrowing and money printing is just going to be slightly less than it would otherwise have been. I wouldn't consider government borrowing and money printing as hard cash.

The private sector jobs can only come when we can compete with china at some level. Im seriously concerned that everything i bought over Christmas was clearly marked as made in china. Fundamentally we have a lack of surplus which is causing the debt. People use debt instead of surplus to masquerade as wealth. We need to bring the cost of living right down including taxes. This will mean reduction in public spending. Just printing money to give to PS workers to spend is not the solution. Its the problem. Weve been stuffing the economy with non productive jobs to hide the truth.

We have reaped the accumulated benefits of our past for a long time. Those accumulated benefits are just about completely used up.

Now that we no longer have our accumulated wealth to rely on, we have to face the simple fact that living in the UK does not somehow grant us the right to a standard of living massively better than the value of what we produce.

This adjustment is going to be painful and horrible for many. We shouldn't look to China as the model for the potential value of what we can produce though : Germany would be a much better example.

We shouldn't look to China as the model for the potential value of what we can produce though : Germany would be a much better example.

Ha ha... That's not going to happen, having worked there I can say that the attitude toward manufacturing and Engineering is very different to the UK, that type of cultural shift takes generations..

Being an Engineer in Germany makes you a babe magnet ( well, relatively so...) I can’t see that happening in the UK for 50 years LOL

Dot, I think there is a lot of truth there in what you say....the world markets are required to be more balanced so that we may all trade with each other on a more level playing field...creating more money will only exasperate the problems, short term fixes for now will create double bubble trouble tomorrow.

We will all have to wake up and get real and understand that over manufactured money and debt will not and does not create long term growth and wealth...over taxation and excessive public spending will create personal protectionism. ;)

Protectionism/tariffs etc.

Else we're stuffed.

Osborne's really not thought this through yet.............:(

Strange that there was no mention in the article of this being "unexpected" - I guess this means George's got it covered.

Edited by EvilEdna

Else we're stuffed.

Maths, science, engineering, techology, manufacturing, industry, rigour, intellectual honesty, exports etc else we're stuffed.

Protectionism and tarrifs aren't going to bring these about. Leadership will. Unfortunately, there are no leaders in any of the political parties from what I can see.

Hard cash isn't being removed from the economy. Government borrowing and money printing is just going to be slightly less than it would otherwise have been. I wouldn't consider government borrowing and money printing as hard cash.

I have long since stopped being surprised by the idea put forward that there are different types of money somehow based on who's doing the buying/paying and who's on the receiving end. Personally I think that's all BS and the product of over complicating a fairly simple equation.

That simple equation goes like this - One man cuts back his spending and one other man earns less. You can replace the 'ones' in that sentence with any number you like but the result will be the same. Seeing that the cut backs are allegedly going to clear our national debt the only beneficiary will be the holder of that debt. Seeing that there is not enough money in this country to fund our debt that lender must be a foreigner or more precisely a large group of foreigners although I can't quite pin down who exactly it is that has the cash to fund the world deficit. IMO that money does not and never did exist. More BS from the world of banksters I fear. And anyway, the bankers don't want the debt paid down because they make their money on the interest.

The actions of the current government are driven by a political philosophy and not financial prudence as they would have you believe. It's a well known method. You capitalise on a crisis (often at least partly of your own making) in order to take harsh actions that you would not normally get away with. The problem for them is that they won't get away with it in as far as the next election goes. But then I really don't think that they are bothered by that. For them, the enactment of the plan is more important than the future consequences.

Edited by Nickolarge

This will mean reduction in public spending. Just printing money to give to PS workers to spend is not the solution. Its the problem. Weve been stuffing the economy with non productive jobs to hide the truth.

You're wrong, public services can be incredibly cheap for some reason UK public services cost an absolute packet. Hong Kong in 2008/09 spent:

HK$262849618000 or

£21,545,050,655.

TWENTY ONE BILLION Pounds for 7 million people. Multiply that by 9 for the UK population and

you get £189bn. Yet somehow in the UK we manage to spend £700bn.

Major Differences?

Costs a tenner to see the doctor.

Dental care costs a lot

Long NHS type waiting lists

Private health care is subsidised for citizens only. Same with meds.

More police per 100,000 people (HK has 40,000 for 7 million, UK has about 150,000 for 62 million people)

No military

University costs £5000 a year. (Soon to be cheaper than UK)

a 6.3% fall in one month is quite significant. The VAT rise will also cause many job losses in the private sector in the coming months.

Ah yes, the private sector.

I have heard that a local shop is introducing a 'Consultancy Period', not sure which staff. Some of you might have heard of it, it's called Tesco.

Do you think that if you lose your job 'there's always shelf filling'? There might not be.

Ah yes, the private sector.

I have heard that a local shop is introducing a 'Consultancy Period', not sure which staff. Some of you might have heard of it, it's called Tesco.

Do you think that if you lose your job 'there's always shelf filling'? There might not be.

It makes me laugh at the arrogance of people who believe that they would just walk into any job stacking shelves or flipping burgers (as a last resort of course), even though they have no previous experience and their qualifications mean nothing.

Else we're stuffed.

+1

Without import tariffs we'll never be able to compete with China, as you can guarantee that all the bureaucracy and laws that make it so expensive to make stuff in the UK will not be repealed in a hurry. How can you have an export led recovery when no-one is buying? You can't.

Import substitution is the way forward, IMO.

It makes me laugh at the arrogance of people who believe that they would just walk into any job stacking shelves or flipping burgers (as a last resort of course), even though they have no previous experience and their qualifications mean nothing.

In the nineties recession I was turned down for a van driving job because 'I wouldn't fit in with the other drivers'. This was based- I think- on the fact that I was coming from an arts background..

But I think employers don't like to employ people in roles when they feel their outlook and attitudes will not 'fit'- they see it as a possible source of tension within the business.

So having a qualification or experience in other fields can often be an obstacle to getting work.

Agreed, it is why you should keep a selection of sharp knives in your armoury. Van driving isn't too bad actually 2005 I delivered meat in a mercedes vito which had no reverse gear and was loaded so heavily the wheels rubbed on the wheel arches!