House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
cmon

End Of Tenancy

Hi Everyone,

I'm looking for some sound advice.

I received a notice to quit at the start of a 12 month tenancy. I have left the property on the end date as stated in the notice to quit and tenancy agreement. I attempted to hand back the keys but the agency was closed over the Christmas period and there was no letterbox . I therefore posted the keys through the letterbox of the house I was renting and informed the agency via e-mail on the same day on where they'd find the keys. I've also got a spare key just in case they were not clever enough to have spares themselves so I don't get charged for replacement locks. I sent them a second e-mail stating that I had posession of a spare key and would return it when there office repoens. They don't have an answering machine so I couldn't leave them a message.

I did mention to them over the phone several times that I would be leaving on the specified date but no one called to arrange for the keys to be handed over or for an exit inspection. I'm not sure if they simply forgot or couldn't be bothered tearing themselves away from their festive holidays. I have taken pictures to show that the property was empty with a newspaper in the photos to confirm the date.

After some research beforehand, it looks like I was not legally required to give them written notice as they had already served me with the notice to quit and the end of tenancy finished on the same date. I just want to make sure that I'm correct on this?

Also, can they charge me for handing in the last key late? Even though it wasn't physically possible as their office was closed.

Secondly, there wasn't an inventory at the start of the tenancy so am I right in thinking it will be difficult for them to deduct anything from my deposit? I have left the property in a very clean state and have pictures to show this, I'd be disupting anything they tried to deduct even with an inventory.

I was renting the place in Dundee, Scotland so I'm not sure if that has any bearing on my tenancy agreement etc.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

As far as I know the agency has the deposit as they don't need to protect it in Scotland, which is poor.

I'm just preparing myself for when I get the letter listing what they intend to deduct. The last house I rented, they tried to do me for a deep clean of the fridge where they supposedly found some crumbs. Tthe fridge was stripped bare and cleaned properly. I said I took pictures of everything before I left and they quickly backed down.

Just making sure I am armed with facts in case this lot try it on.

Thanks