House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Nickolarge

Interest Rates Rising

My wife has a catalogue account with La Redoute.

Last months statement informed her that the interest rate on outstanding balances was going up from 26.8% to 29.9%.

That's a 3.1% increase which means that the cost of borrowing from them is well over 10% higher starting January.

I also had to renew my house contents insurance. I looked at my Direct Line renewal quote. 2 years ago I was paying under £8 per month. Last year it went up to just over £9 and this year they wanted over £12.50.

These sort of rises are widespread and, to me, offer a much clearer picture of the real increase in the cost of living.

Luckily I am old enough now to use Saga :( They are charging me just over £4 for the same level of cover give or take a few minor differences.

Last months statement informed her that the interest rate on outstanding balances was going up from 26.8% to 29.9%.

That's a 3.1% increase which means that the cost of borrowing from them is well over 10% higher starting January.

I also had to renew my house contents insurance. I looked at my Direct Line renewal quote. 2 years ago I was paying under £8 per month. Last year it went up to just over £9 and this year they wanted over £12.50.

These sort of rises are widespread and, to me, offer a much clearer picture of the real increase in the cost of living.

Luckily I am old enough now to use Saga :( They are charging me just over £4 for the same level of cover give or take a few minor differences.

i've just renewed an annual insurance policy that is the same price for everyone. A week ago it was £49.50 and today it is £54.50. Good old VAT rise and then some.

:ph34r:

i've just renewed an annual insurance policy that is the same price for everyone. A week ago it was £49.50 and today it is £54.50. Good old VAT rise and then some.

:ph34r:

With the VAT increase and the current rise in fuel prices I don't see how the official inflation rate can do anything but go up. If they try to suggest that the January sales have kept it down that would be pure BS.

Yes everything is going up. Just need a small IR rise just to make it look like the early 90's only worse.

Back to topic, a 50% HPC is very likely over the next 6 - 8 years.

Anyone noticed how we have had 100% inflation in almost everything over the last 10 or so years while at the same time having the lowest inflation in history (acording to the official stats). Weve got almost double petrol prices, food has now just about doubled, public transport has doubled, council tax almost doubled, electricity, gas etc etc In fact most of the esentials of life have gone up enormously, with the exception of slave labour country imports, eg some clothing, electronics etc etc. Am unemployed and not on benefits myself and really feel it, dito pensioners I know. Dont know if anyone else has noticed that back in 2000 a base level worker could get 7-8 quid per hour working in Central London but 10 years later its min wage for same jobs due to imported immigrant wage dis-inflation (if thats a word). Which brings me to the point about governments and central banks, that is, they only act on inflation if it is wages going up, never price rises. (I remember this very clearly during the 70

s and 80's, only wages rises upset 'them')

Edited by steve99

With the VAT increase and the current rise in fuel prices I don't see how the official inflation rate can do anything but go up. If they try to suggest that the January sales have kept it down that would be pure BS.

.... and the VAT increase will be the handwaving excuse used to explain away why the BoE isn't doing anything about this 'temporary' inflation (which we've now had for about 2 years), for the next 12 months.