House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Patfig

Web Page Programs

I am looking to try and teach myself to "do" a website and am thinking that a WYSIWYG program for writing webapges is the way to go.

If any of you use such a pprogram I would be keen to take recommendations both for and against.

Cheers in advance

I am looking to try and teach myself to "do" a website and am thinking that a WYSIWYG program for writing webapges is the way to go.

If any of you use such a pprogram I would be keen to take recommendations both for and against.

Cheers in advance

Dreamweaver is quite a good one

Blogs are where it is today.

The best blogging tool is Wordpress - you can create a free Wordpress blog via their site, have it up online and be able to see your work on the www as you go along... and then they have loads of tutorials on their site about how to do it.

Even better, if you want to read dummies type tutorials then there are loads of Wordpress tutorial sites that users have set up plus there are the Wordpress forums on the Wordpress site and numerous excellent other Wordpress forums like problogger.net.

Even better still, look on Youtube for Wordpress and you will find thousands of videos that people have created to show you how to do various things.

People are making livings now creating Wordpress blog for businesses as corporates adopt Wordpress - IMPO it is a very good skill to learn but that is just my personal view.

Go to wordpress.org and have a look at their showcase link - you will be surprised how many mainstream sites today in fact have Wordpress as their backend.

Hope this helps.

Thanks Guys,

I have a buisiness with a very simple website and I want to take back control of it ( subcontracted at present), so would the blogger thing be pertinent?

If you need a CMS (content management system) more powerful than wordpress check out Drupal http://www.drupal.org

Also free/open source with a massive community and version video guides etc.

Joomla every time. (Unless you really MUST have a blog or want to sell online)

www.joomla.org

I run about 60 Joomla sites and it is indded the answer to a maiden's prayer.

For pure HTML, either HTML Kit or Notepad ++. For blogging, blogspot seems pretty good. I've gone off Joomla recently, I've found it a bit too flakey for me...

Joomla every time. (Unless you really MUST have a blog or want to sell online)

www.joomla.org

I run about 60 Joomla sites and it is indded the answer to a maiden's prayer.

can you keep your own www address ordoes it have joomla added to it

You can also create snazzy sites using wix.com - its all drag & drop, so you don't need to do any coding...

You can also create snazzy sites using wix.com - its all drag & drop, so you don't need to do any coding...

Thanks Dave, that looks too easy!!

Cheers in advance

A word of warning. There's no such thing as WYSIWYG on the 'net, and if any program sells itself as such you should treat it as the snake-oil warning sign. A good webpage adapts itself gracefully to each visitor's choice of reading environment, and even those with a mainstream graphics-capable browser may see very different renditions of it.

Looking at other replies here, you'll no doubt appreciate that your question was a tad underspecified. Look at the various suggestions and take your pick, whether you just want to publish in isolation or in a well-supported context.

Thanks Porky,

I do realise the total naivety of my question, and thats not a problem for me.

I have a small business with a fairly static website of 5 simple pages.

I have just had a look at Wix and it looks doable at my level and could deliver what I am interested in.

I would leave my email with a seperate company ( who I bought the www from) as I am not a fan of using gmail etc for my business.

Wix can for what seems a reasonable fee allow me to host using my own www too without having to use the wix suffix.

This would allow me to take control of my website as I currently outsource this at present, which isnt expensive, but is inconvenient.

A word of warning. There's no such thing as WYSIWYG on the 'net, and if any program sells itself as such you should treat it as the snake-oil warning sign. A good webpage adapts itself gracefully to each visitor's choice of reading environment, and even those with a mainstream graphics-capable browser may see very different renditions of it.

Looking at other replies here, you'll no doubt appreciate that your question was a tad underspecified. Look at the various suggestions and take your pick, whether you just want to publish in isolation or in a well-supported context.

Thanks Porky,

Weren't you planning to move to East Cornwall / West Devon? Are you by any chance currently local to here?

Weren't you planning to move to East Cornwall / West Devon? Are you by any chance currently local to here?

I currently am very local to here :D

Thanks Porky,

I have just had a look at Wix and it looks doable at my level and could deliver what I am interested in.

I would leave my email with a seperate company ( who I bought the www from) as I am not a fan of using gmail etc for my business.

Wix can for what seems a reasonable fee allow me to host using my own www too without having to use the wix suffix.

This would allow me to take control of my website as I currently outsource this at present, which isnt expensive, but is inconvenient.

I've done a fair bit of HTML development, but my graphic design skills aren't the best, and I've found wix to be a good compromise...you can produce a fairly pretty website quite easily...I did one for my dad's business...it looks better than what I could have produced by pure coding...